nrw
Aziar44

The US should continue to deny homosexuals from serving openly in the military.

Con Tied Pro

nrw

Con

Currently, the United States bans homosexuals from serving in the military. Under its policy known as "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," (DADT), one cannot serve in the military, even if he wants to, if he is openly gay. Rather, the US suggests the person should hide from his own identity, and serve in the military as if he were heterosexual.

The US should lift DADT and allow gays to serve in the military. If one feels that it is his duty to serve in the armed forces, so be it. Our administration loves to fight wars anyways, why would you place a limit on troops that volunteer to serve?

This military mindset is destructive toward homosexuals. Forcing people to hide their identity as a means to an end is inherently bad, not to mention an infingement of rights. Should schools not allow teachers to teach if they are openly gay? Should hospitals put a ban on lesbian nurses? There has to be an instictive and powerful "No" in response to these questions. Why should the military be any exception?

*I apologize for my seemingly gendered language, but I assure you it is not. I choose to use the pronoun "he" because it is homosexual males that are being affected by this issue.
Aziar44

Pro

Aziar44 forfeited this round.
nrw

Con

This round was forfeited because the opponent did not post their argument within the allotted time.

Go ahead for round two Aziar, I guess this will just be a 1-round debate.
Aziar44

Pro

My apologies, lots of hectic things were going on. Okay, so here is my devil's advocate argument:

The Don't Ask Don't Tell policy is fine. It does not need to be changed. Why should sexual orientation be a factor in whether or not someone is in the army? There is no reason to ask whether someone is gay or straight or bisexual or anything when one is signing up to be a part of the armed forces.

DADT does not force people to hide their identity, it just makes sexual orientation a non factor. And it also is protective of gay soldiers. In the army, it is not easy and is possibly dangerous for homosexuals to be open with their sexual orientation. The army is a notoriously brutal and masculine place where homosexuality could be viewed as "feminine" or a "weakness" or just plain different.

The argument from unit cohesion is not with validity. It is very important that any soldier would sacrifice for any other soldier and that each person can fully trust every other. Would it be a homosexual soldier's fault that a straight soldier may not trust him or sacrifice for him? Absolutely not. It is that straight soldier's fault and of course change must come.

But the way to keep the most homosexuals safe is to keep DADT until homosexuality is more accepted within society. Right now we are in a place where even many Democrats do not support full gay marriage, but only civil unions. Clearly this is a difficult time for gays and the best way to keep them safe is to just not ask the question of sexuality. Otherwise, we risk literally endangering the lives of homosexual individuals for a while so that eventually homosexuals can serve openly. To me, sacrificing them for years is not a good means to the end of homosexuals being able to serve openly.

Read about Allen R. Schindler, Jr. He was beaten to death in the army by his fellow soldiers because of his homosexuality. It is a tragic occurrence and is absolutely despicable that this happened. It did not happen in 1945 or anywhere that far into the past either. It happened in 1992. Recently, an Army Times poll found that only 25% of military servicemen would like gays to be able to serve openly. The territory is too hostile for DADT to be repealed and it is best that gradual acceptance in society leads to more acceptance in the military rather than forced immediate change that will no doubt lead to countless hate crimes.

DADT allows for homosexuals to serve but not have to disclose their sexuality. When society is much more accepting of homosexuality in general, then the implementation of policies that state homosexuals are allowed to serve openly should occur. It is the safest way and it is the best way for this to happen. Until that time, leave DADT intact. This way, it is so much safer for homosexuals now in the military.
Posted by buttercupx224 9 years ago
buttercupx224
I haven't voted yet, but i have a quick question:
if the USA did repeal it, what would the new policy be?
can someone please respond; animaluva224 at cox dot net

^( it is the setup of a normal email of course, but it wont let me type it so use the symbols for at and dot
Posted by ScrewSociety62 9 years ago
ScrewSociety62
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. DADT is discrimination.
Posted by mrumno 9 years ago
mrumno
I just think DADT is an easy means for people getting out of the military i don't mind it my self.
Posted by IraqiStateOfAmerica 9 years ago
IraqiStateOfAmerica
You are not black, white, brown, yellow or any other factor (ncluding sexual orintation) when becoming a marine or joining any wing of the military that is the main factor for DADT policy.
Posted by aremisasling 9 years ago
aremisasling
No worries, I think it was my poor wording that led to the confusion.
Posted by nrw 9 years ago
nrw
oh ok, thanks. misinterpreted the purpose of that
Posted by aremisasling 9 years ago
aremisasling
I know. I was actually attempting to at least show some anecdotal evidence supporting the idea of lesbians in the military. I guess I phrased it in such a way as it could have been interpreted as an attempted counterargument, but that's not what I intended.
Posted by nrw 9 years ago
nrw
aremis, I agree - it doesnt make a difference whether or not you are homosexual - notice im debating on the "con" side. I think homosexuals should not have to hide their identity (as far as sexual orientation/preferrence goes)
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
There are gay people in the military , both male and female. The DADT policy is there to prevent harassment. Although most people are fine with it , my husband is not bothered. There are some people who would harass anyone who was openly gay. So the military policy is don't bring it up. My husband knows a man that is gay and most of them know and he knows who he feels comfortable telling and who he doesnt. It prevents problems and in reality ..the army doesnt leave much room for straight peoples love lives either. Its a case of they are married to the army , everyone and anything else comes after. I do think its funny how many people really think they arent allowed in the military. I knew a soldier I went to school with that was openly a lesbian, she was just killed in Afghanistan. They are investigating her death as it may have been concerning her sexual preference. I hope they catch whomever did it. But those are the horrible things that can arise when unfortunately people are living in such close quarters, so many religions and backgrounds and lifestyles all together.
Posted by aremisasling 9 years ago
aremisasling
I happen to know of a homosexual woman in a relationship who proudly serves in the military. I know a good number of very proud and devoted soldiers present and past who are gay as well. What difference does it make?

Aremis
Vote Placed by Mharman 8 months ago
Mharman
nrwAziar44Tied
Vote Placed by Aziar44 8 years ago
Aziar44
nrwAziar44Tied
Vote Placed by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
nrwAziar44Tied
Vote Placed by Sludge 9 years ago
Sludge
nrwAziar44Tied
Vote Placed by Chob 9 years ago
Chob
nrwAziar44Tied
Vote Placed by revleader5 9 years ago
revleader5
nrwAziar44Tied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
nrwAziar44Tied
Vote Placed by Curtispov11 9 years ago
Curtispov11
nrwAziar44Tied
Vote Placed by nrw 9 years ago
nrw
nrwAziar44Tied
Vote Placed by moderate84 9 years ago
moderate84
nrwAziar44Tied