Jifpop09
DonSutherland

The US should establish a higher Progressive Tax

Started: 4/22/2014 Category: Economics

Jifpop09

Pro

About: What were debating

Quite simply, we will be debating that the US should use a progressive tax rather then a 10-15% flat tax. My opponent can decide what rate. I will accept a expierienced debater from the comments. A progressive tax will be defined as...

Progressive Tax

A progressive tax is a tax where the tax rate increases as the taxable base amount increases. The term "progressive" refers to the way the tax rate progresses from low to high, with the result that the average tax rate is less than the highest marginal tax rate.

A flat tax will be defined simply as a constant rate, for all social groups, of all incomes. All arguments will be accepted during the course of the debate. In the case that an argument is made final round, and the opponent doesn't have a chance to refute it, it should still be counted.

Rules: Debate Regulations

{1} First round is acceptance.

{2} Arguments made where the flat tax is not 10-15% are not allowed.

{3} Refuting the others argument can be forfeited, to increase your argument space, but this warrants no additional point loss.

{4} Asking people to vote through use of personal message on DDO or elsewhere will be a rule violation. You may communicate through profile or forum though, as long as the request for a vote is just that, a request to vote.

Voting: Doctrine for Judges

{1} RFD's must be within the designated voting place. A one comment extension is allowed, but it must be brief and organized. This is not meant to burden voters, but its frustrating keeping track of large RFD's.

{2} The Source Point's will take the place of the S&G point, to prevent strategic voting.

{3} Bad S&G is bad conduct. With that said, terrible grammar will be a conduct violation.

{4} To keep the integrity of the debate honest, voters may not argue theirs or others RFD's in the comments. The same rule goes for the debaters.RFD justification should be the job solely of the moderators.
Jifpop09

Pro

Jifpop09 forfeited this round.
Jifpop09

Pro

Jifpop09 forfeited this round.
Jifpop09

Pro

Alright people, ignore this debate. IDK how my opponent bypassed the 500 debate lock I had, but he did

DonSutherland

Con

DonSutherland forfeited this round.
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
$hit,I forgot to lock the challenge. Noob snipe it is then.
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
They are really hard to keep track of. I ussually don't mind them, but I'm aiming for a front page debate, and those are problematic with long RFD's. I fail to see how you can't summarize your vote in 3000 characters. That's base essay size.
Posted by thett3 2 years ago
thett3
"Sorry, but those six part RFD's are unnecessary."

Longer RFD = more feedback. I fail to see the problem
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
@BlueSteel, actually I allowed a one comment extension. Sorry, but those six part RFD's are unnecessary.
Posted by thett3 2 years ago
thett3
Blue, you're pro flat tax?
Posted by bluesteel 2 years ago
bluesteel
I told you I have finals and will debate you on this in approximately 3 weeks.

I also had conditions: (1) I instigate; (2) I set the rules. I don't like some of your rules (e.g. judges cannot write RFD's longer than 1K characters).
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
Maybe. I challenged several people. Bluesteel might take me on in a fair fight.
Posted by Romanii 2 years ago
Romanii
No.

Lol you think bluesteel's gonna debate you on this?
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
Play devils advocate.
Posted by Romanii 2 years ago
Romanii
Dude, I SUPPORT the Progressive Tax...
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
Jifpop09DonSutherlandTied