beachgirl67
cha-the-politician

The US should not resign from being a member of the UN

cha-the-politician

beachgirl67

Pro

First Round: Acceptance
Second Round: Main arguments
Third Round: Rebuttals. No new information please.
Fourth Round: Conclusion/ why you think you should win.
cha-the-politician

Con

I accept. Because of the way this debate is worded there will be several ways to go through this debate. However, I would like to simply rebuttal the points given by pro and, if applicable, bring in some new points supporting my argument. However, as con, my main point is to rebuttal against your argument. It remains Pro's responsibility to bring in more points to the debate. Pro could rebuttal against my rebuttals, but I hope he would give points in each round. I would also like voters to be aware that it is Pro's liability to bring in new points to the debate. Thank you.
beachgirl67

Pro

First off, I want to clarify what the purpose of the UN is. In a basic sense, the UN was formed as a type of alliance between countries. It provides a neutral means of communication between countries, as well as uniting them to work together to solve large problems. Since the US is currently apart of the UN, it partakes in these activities as well. I'm going to start by listing my main arguments, focusing on what benefits the US gains by being apart of the UN.

1) International Peace/Security

UN peacekeepers prevent conflict and help protect civilians worldwide, at a fraction of the cost of sending US troops. The UN has been helping the US fight the acts of terrorism in middle-eastern countries. UN counterterrorism sanctions have isolated terrorists and halted their assets and those of their supporters. UN Security Council sanctions in the middle east have done a great job of impeding the efforts taken by terrorists to produce nuclear weapons. The UN missions have helped strengthen Afghan and Iraqi government, meaning the US has doesn't have to send as many ground troops to these areas. Not only does this save money, it allows these troops to stay with their families and focus on other important issues. Many US lives have been saved by the UN because of our participation in it. War is very costly, and generally, it is a better idea to try and form peace rather than spend billions of dollars on war. Countless taxpayer dollars have been saved because the US is apart of the UN.

2) Forms US Allies

The UN"s humanitarian agencies also deliver lifesaving aid to many countries, such as Haiti, Pakistan, and many more. Countries in the UN work together to provide food for those starving, vaccination programs for devastating diseases, and shelter for those who have become homeless because of war or other problems. For example, In Afghanistan, the US has worked with the UN to help citizens that have been affected by terror groups there. They've built schools and hospitals, as well as repaired roads and villages. In doing this, Afghan police and military forces there agreed to team up with US forces to combat terrorists groups. Not only does the US have the opportunity to help others in being apart of the UN, we also gain many useful allies, such as the countries we help AND those we work together with. These allies are the first step to lasting peace.

3) Promotes Human Rights

In helping these countries, the US has had the opportunity to promote human rights in areas where not everyone has them. Because of the UN's efforts, people in many countries now have the freedoms like freedom of expression and freedom of assembly. This is evident in Libya, where people were plagued by a terror group known as Qadhafi. Their forces attacked Libyan civilians just because they wanted basic freedoms. The US and several other UN members launched a military operation to save civilian lives and stop Qadhafi"s forces. Because of those efforts, many Libyan civilians now have access to freedoms everyone should have.

In conclusion, the US should not drop out of the UN. By being a part of the UN, The US saves money, gains allies, and is able to create the first steps to international peace. Not to mention we are able to help other countries, while also enforcing human rights worldwide. If we left the UN, the progress the US made to promote peace and freedom around the world could be lost.

http://www.un.org...
http://www.state.gov...
http://www.unmissions.org...
cha-the-politician

Con

Thank you. I would like to dismiss good things that UN does for the US. Instead, I would urge my opposition should focus on how the US being part of the UN benefits the global society. I don't believe you presented an argument so I will start. My first argument will be that the US have done a lot of harm to the international community with UN peacekeeping as an excuse and refused to view minorities. When they do act, they are also incredibly inefficient. The Korean war included training guns that don't even work because of poor maintenance. Also, America bombed a Chinese embassy in 1999 in Belgrade and NATO submissively have planned the bombing. The UN is too close to America and it is killing the world. Technically America has the same influence on UN as China, Russia and the like. However, America wins almost every vote simply because everyone follows the country. My argument might seem incredibly empty and vague, but it really is all we need to know. Thank you.
beachgirl67

Pro

beachgirl67 forfeited this round.
cha-the-politician

Con

Pro forfeited this round.
beachgirl67

Pro

beachgirl67 forfeited this round.
cha-the-politician

Con

Pro forfeited this round, vote con.
Posted by cha-the-politician 2 years ago
cha-the-politician
It doesn't allow me to post anymore. Anyways, Pro have forfeited again and please vote con.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 2 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
beachgirl67cha-the-politicianTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited multiple rounds.