Lordgrae
Ayyuba

The US should tax church property.

Started: 3/4/2014 Category: Economics

Lordgrae

Pro

This argument is over whether churches should have to pay property taxes.

I would like to first state several things about this position.

1. By churches, I mean any religious building or organization. It can be a Christian church, but in the context of this debate, it shall apply to Mosques, Synagogues, or anything of like quality that is relevant.

2. The only difference between how non-profit clubs and churches is property taxes. Non-profit clubs pay these taxes, but churches do not.

3. This position would include tax deductions. If a church did enough charitable actions, they may end up paying no taxes at all.

4. I am not calling for the destruction of religion. I am an atheist, but whether or not any religion is true shall not be the topic being argued. For the sake of debate, we will assume that none of these religions or true, or that we cannot determine whether one is true.

Good luck to con. I shall be waiting.
Ayyuba

Con

I'm a cross between a libertarian and a liberal so my views on taxation are this: Taxation should be limited to a national sales tax. Anything else is theft. i have no problem with something like the Fair Tax, but I have a major problem with other taxation. Parties wanna tax everything to death and whine when the market goes bust.
Lordgrae

Pro

Lordgrae forfeited this round.
Ayyuba

Con

Ayyuba forfeited this round.
Lordgrae

Pro

Lordgrae forfeited this round.
Ayyuba

Con

Ayyuba forfeited this round.
Ayyuba

Con

Ayyuba forfeited this round.
Posted by Ayyuba 3 years ago
Ayyuba
Im willing to go for a rematch. I do believe that if a gym has to pay taxes, a church should too because its fair and the Bible says so. Render unto Caeser, you know?
Posted by Lordgrae 3 years ago
Lordgrae
Perhaps I should have specified a more church intrusion in state vs. state intrusion in church instead of something so open ended. I wished this debate to be more of that nature, but I guess I will debate the interpretation that Con has chosen. If you wish to challange me on a debate that is more of the separation of church and state nature rather then should there be any taxes at all, please message me or send me the challange. I would be glad to accept.
Posted by Tigerglide 3 years ago
Tigerglide
I would accept on the basis that no one should be required to pay property taxes because it is not a revenue stream, it's something already bought and paid for...however, there is a specific anti-religion agenda at play in this debate.
Posted by emospongebob527 3 years ago
emospongebob527
I'm tempted to take this.