Bob13
Rosalie

The USFG should legalize prostitution.

Rosalie
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

Bob13

Con

Definitions
USFG- United States Federal Government
Prostiitution- the act of engaging in sexual relations for money http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Round Structure
Round 1- Pro posts opening arguments.
Round 2- Con posts opening arguments, Pro posts rebuttals.
Round 3- Rebuttals and Defense
Round 4- Conclusions (no new arguments).
Rules
Obey all rules.
No trolling.
Rosalie

Pro

Framework:

Many people whom oppose Prostitution will argue that Prostitution brings more crime, STD’s will be more on the rise, and we put out police officers at risk. But, in reality, if we were to make it legal, we would actually have healthy sex workers, crime in the field of prostitution would lower, and STD’s would not be a big worry. Not only will legalizing prostitution reduce crime, but by legalizing it, we will be able to tax prostitutes, thus have a wealthier economy. Not only will I be arguing the social aspects of prostitution, but I will also be arguing that by making it illegal, we are taking away the human rights of a prostitute. No human rights should be taken away on the basis of their trade, occupation, calling or profession. Today, in 2016, no laws have been able to stop prostitution, so we may as well legalize it, and benefit from it!

Contention #1: Justice

There are multiple reasoning’s as to why Prostitution should be legalized for the sake of justice. But, the main aspect I will be discussing is a job. First, it’s important to define what a job is.

[1] A piece of work, especially a specific task done as part of the routine of one's occupation or for an agreed price:

Just by this definition, we can easily understand that Prostitution is a form of work. Prostitution is the act of sexual favors for arranged installment between consenting grown-ups. So, prostitution is merely an industry like some other in which individuals trade favors for cash. The fact of the matter is that prostitution is alive and well in this country, and it will go on whether we do anything about it, or not. Sex workers should receive the same rights as any other worker, in any other field. The laws protect citizens, and they should also protect prostitutes, such as: sexual assault, sexual harassment, and rape. Every human being has the fundamental right to work, which can be easily established by looking at international law. We can look to any number of sources. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights states it plainly in Article 23.1.[12] The International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights is unequivocal as well, and this can be found in Part III, Article 6.[13] The African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights agrees as well, in Article 15.[14]. As long as this right exists, it exists to every capable adult, human being.

So what happens if we take away these rights, and make prostitution illegal? It’s simple. We are dehumanizing. We are merely restricting the work and profession of what a person decides to do, and this is completely unjust, and we are merely discriminating. [2] Since this is an industry dominated by women, it's even more unjust, as it's a discriminatory practice that predominantly affects a single sex.

Contention #2: Safety

Prostitution is considered a victimless crime, as long as the people are consenting adults, and nobody is hurt. Prostitution does not always imply there is in fact a victim.

There are situations when in fact Prostitution may be abused by her pimp, because she want’s to leave the business, or she did something she was not able to. Many women take part in this industry because they are poor, and unable to find another job, so Prostitution is merely the only way for them. [3] Beyond that, many women are simply dependent upon the money they earn in this system as other job opportunities are not available to them, often because they have suffered so much abuse as children, including rape and incest, that they simply don't have the wherewithal to take on another job.[4] This means that we're currently forcing them into these abusive situations in order to survive. Prostitution will take place, regardless if it is illegal, or not.

[5] Concurrently, this has done nothing to slow the demand for sex work. In 2010 alone, the Bureau of Justice reported that over 60,000 people were arrested for prostitution. Simply put, regardless of whether or not it’s legal, prostitution will continue.

According to Amnesty International, a human right’organization, one of their studies stated..

[5] “We have seen evidence to suggest that the criminalization of sex work leads to social marginalization and an increased risk of human rights abuses against sex workers.

The evidence also suggests that decriminalization could be the best means to protect the rights of sex workers and ensure that these individuals receive adequate medical care, legal assistance and police protection.”

It is clear to see, that making this form of work illegal, causes more harm, than good.

By keeping prostitution illegal America has created an environment in which sex workers are subjected to violence, disease, ridicule and inequality.

Law enforcement is a dangerous job in it’s self, but we put them in risk while they patrol the streets for prostitutes, when a big majority of the time, prostitution is a victimless crime.

Diseases:

By making Prostitution legal, we could lower the risk of STD’s.

[6] In countries and states where prostitution is legal, the risk of sexual transmitted diseases is slower than where prostitution is illegal. This is because prostitutes have better access to doctors, medicines, sex education, and contraceptives that prevent and reduce sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), such as condoms. Furthermore, countries that legalize prostitution and require periodic testing for STDs have an even further lower rate of transmitting STDs.

Contention #3: Legalizing Prostitution would be a substantial source of tax revenue

Prostitution is industry that has always existed, and it’s a strong industry. We can never get rid of it. [6] “Therefore, the obvious solution is to turn prostitution into a business that can be regulated, monitored, and taxed, like every other business.”

[7] “In 2007 alone, Atlanta’s sex trade was worth a staggering $290 million. Not to mention, between 2005 and 2011, the average weekly cash income for pimps in the city was $32,833.

In Nevada, legal brothels collectively make around $50 million a year, and pay significant amounts of tax to the rural counties in which they are located and operate.”

What could be the worst possible out-come of taxing prostitutes?

Instead, we are wasting tax dollars, on making our officers go out, and patrol the streets for a “crime” that will never stop. Prostitution is an industry, it’s a job, and it’s a choice. By making it illegal, we only run the chance of greater violence, more STD.s, violation of ones righ’ts, and wasting tax dollars.

[1] http://www.dictionary.com...

[2] http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

[3] http://www.womenslaw.org...

[4]http://www.womenslaw.org...

[5, 6, 7] http://elitedaily.com...

(sorry for the random large wording, DDO rich text was not working properly)

Bob13

Con

First Contention: Poverty

Many women become prostitutes due to poverty. If legalized, prostitution would seem an acceptable solution to poverty, making it much more popular, leading to a rise in STDs. It can't be guaranteed that the people hiring the prostitutes will use contraception, so pregnancies will increase, leading to abortions and unwanted births.

With prostitution illegal, women in poverty are much more likely to turn to something else as a solution to their poverty.

Second Contention: Costs

As mentioned in the previous argument, legalizing prostitution would lead to an increase in STDs and births. Healthcare expenses would increase, cancelling out some of the economic benefits.

I await your rebuttal.
Rosalie

Pro

I will use this round to rebutt my opponents arguments.

Rebuttal #1 "Poverty"

My opponent merely makes the statment that Women should not prosititute as a job, if they're poor, mainly because it is wrong. Yet, to make this statment true, he must prove that prostitution is wrong. But, that is impossible considering what is right, and what is wrong has a wide variance, depending on whom you ask.

My opponent then makes the famous argument that by legalizing prostitution, there will be a rise in STD's, I have already disproven this myth in R1. But, I will use another source.

Reshearchers in Australia did a reshearch project in 2011, and this was their conclusion reguarding STD's and prostitution.

[1] "They found that infections could be reduced by 33 to 46 percent in those countries if prostitution were made legal, the Washington Post reported"

So, exactly how, and why would STD's be lowerd if prostitution were to be legal? It's simple. Prostitutes, and their customers would take the time to preform the propper saftey precautions before sex.

[1] "Because prostitutes fear getting caught by law enforcement, they rush the process along with clients and often don’t take the time to discuss protecting against STDs. Further compounding the problem is the fact that these sex workers are often stigmatized, and don’t get the care they need from health workers. "

In conclusion, by legaizing prostitution, it will only lower the rate in STD's, not make the number increase.

Rebuttal #2 "Costs"

There really isn't a argument to be made here. I have already proven, twice, that by legalizing prostitution, it would only lower the risks of STD's. This argument alone, goes to prove that by legalizing prostitution, we could not be cancelling out economiv benefits. As stated in R1, legalizing it, would create a great profit due to tax revenue. infact, legalizing it would only benefit prostitutes, health wise.

[2] "Women who work legally enjoy huge benefits: better access to health care, protection from violent customers and protection from exploitation. Antwerp has apparently one of the best bordellos in Europe, equipped with its own police station and high tech sensors."

Sorry for keeping this so short, but theese rebuttals merely cover all of my opponents arguments.

Bob13

Con

Rebuttals

Justice
My opponent's argument here is that because prostitution is a way to make a living, criminalizing it resticts a person's freedom to choose. Let me refute some of her main points:
"Sex workers should receive the same rights as any other worker, in any other field. The laws protect citizens, and they should also protect prostitutes, such as: sexual assault, sexual harassment, and rape."
The trouble here is that the only difference between rape and prostitution is consent. Both occur between two people who usually don't know each other prior to the rape/prostitution, which brings me to another point: Prostitution can be used as a cover-up for rape. Think about it; a man rapes a woman, he gives her a lot of money as a bribe, he tells her to keep quiet about the rape, they pretend it was just prostitution, and everyone believes them because the woman appears to have consented. This could be happening already in places where prostitution is legalized.
"We are dehumanizing. We are merely restricting the work and profession of what a person decides to do, and this is completely unjust, and we are merely discriminating... it's a discriminatory practice that predominantly affects a single sex."
As I explained earlier, we are protecting women, not dehumanizing them.

Safety
My opponent argues here that prostitution would be safer if it were legalized. Again, let me refute some of her main points:
"Beyond that, many women are simply dependent upon the money they earn in this system as other job opportunities are not available to them, often because they have suffered so much abuse as children, including rape and incest, that they simply don't have the wherewithal to take on another job."
There are plenty of charity organizations that can help people like that. Prostitution is a harmful choice, and legalization encourages that choice. Legalization would also encourage people not in poverty to become prostitutes when they could get a job much more beneficial to society.
"By keeping prostitution illegal America has created an environment in which sex workers are subjected to violence, disease, ridicule and inequality."
And as I explained before, the scale of this would increase if prostitution were legalized.
"Law enforcement is a dangerous job in it’s self, but we put them in risk while they patrol the streets for prostitutes, when a big majority of the time, prostitution is a victimless crime."
And what's the risk of patrolling the streets for prostitutes?

Diseases
"In countries and states where prostitution is legal, the risk of sexual transmitted diseases is slower than where prostitution is illegal. This is because prostitutes have better access to doctors, medicines, sex education, and contraceptives that prevent and reduce sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), such as condoms."
I took a look at your source for this, and an interesting detail I found was that STD rates were measured in percentages instead of total cases. Why is this relevant? You see, legalizing prostitution increases the number of prostitutes because people start to join the industry for reasons other than poverty. So the total number of STD cases would stay about the same because of women who become prostitutes as a solution to poverty, but the percentage would go down, creating the illusion that STDs became less common. The apparent correlation can be explained away, and it proves nothing.

Defense

Poverty
As a refutation to my argument, my opponent claims that legalizing prostitution would decrease the number of STDs. I already disproved this, though I will concede that it would not cause a rise in STDs.

Costs
My opponent once again emphasizes that she disproved my argument about STDs, but she ignores the costs of pregnancy, births, and abortions, as well as the fact that prostitutes could be generating tax revenue in a different job.
Rosalie

Pro

Rebutal #1

My opponent argues that rape occurs in the prostitution, while that may be true, prostitutes enter the field knowing that they could potentially be raped. You would think, if the Women really is traumatized by the experienced of being rape, she would find a way to get out of it. But yet, they generally continue on. Thus, if we were to legalize prostitution, prostitutes would have more access to health-care, and they would be able to talk to a therapist, or law enforcement- and actually get out of the field, if they really wish.

If a Women gets raped, if she is a prostitute, she would not feel comfortable talking to somebody of authority, due to the fear of being arrested. So, if we were to legalize it:

-Rape would not occur as often, because prostitutes would be able to go to law enforcement, and tell them what had happened, and the men would be less likely to rape, knowing the consequences if caught.

By keeping prostitution illegal, we are simply putting them out there, to be harmed. Like stated many times before, if we make it legal, Women would be able to have access to basic health care, and would take the time to prepare for sex (safe sex). They would also be more comfortable going out, and reaching for help, if they really wanted it.

Rebuttal #2-#3

My opponent then goes on to argue that prostitution is a harmful choice. Though it maybe for some Women, some Women who work in the file enjoy what they do, because it’s easy money. We should not be in control of what they decide to do, because of our moral ideologies.

#3

My opponent then goes on to argue “So the total number of STD cases would stay about the same because of women who become prostitutes as a solution to poverty, but the percentage would go down, creating the illusion that STDs became less common. The apparent correlation can be explained away, and it proves nothing.”

This is merely an opinion, and assumption, just like the rest of my opponent’s arguments. I have provided many arguments and sources as to why if we were to legalize prostitution, how and why the rates in STD’s would lower, and there would be less abuse, and harassment. But sinse you don’t seem to understand it, I will give a new source.

A study was done in 2009 in R.I on sexual abuse, and harassment in prostitution.

[1] “"The results suggest that decriminalization could have potentially large social benefits for the population at large–not just sex market participants," wrote economists Scott Cunningham and Manisha Shah in a working paper about their research. Between 2004 and 2009, they estimate that decriminalization led to a 31 to 39 percent per-capita decline in rapes and a 39 to 45 percent decline in cases of female gonorrhea in Rhode Island.” (http://reason.com...)

There is simply no way to argue why legalizing wouldn’t work. You have not provided any valid, logical argument, but assumptions, claims, and opinions.

My opponent claims that I disprove his claims, which I do, because he simply does not argue logically. He has YET provided any sources to prove his argument is right, unlike me.

Bob13

Con

Bob13 forfeited this round.
Rosalie

Pro

I will make this very short, since my opponent didn't make a conclusion.

I have successfully shown the benefits of legalizing prostitution, and also used sources, that supported my arguments. I have also shown my opponents arguments to be faulty, by using evidence. Vote Pro.
Posted by Bob13 1 year ago
Bob13
I finished my argument before I was out of time, so voters should count it.
Posted by fire_wings 1 year ago
fire_wings
voter's team will try to vote.
Posted by fire_wings 1 year ago
fire_wings
bob, voter's can't count it.
Posted by Bob13 1 year ago
Bob13
I had a conclusion completed yesterday, but I was unable to post it due to an internet problem. Since it is now too late to post it, here is a link for people to look at before voting: https://docs.google.com...
It would also be fine if Rosalie would like to rewrite her conclusion.
Vote Placed by tejretics 1 year ago
tejretics
Bob13Rosalie
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: http://www.debate.org/forums/society/topic/87915/
Vote Placed by Wylted 1 year ago
Wylted
Bob13Rosalie
Who won the debate:--
Reasons for voting decision: ...
Vote Placed by SolonKR 1 year ago
SolonKR
Bob13Rosalie
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ayJqtB14_rGac4MvvcwFVWjf_hvLfQLfiYciC6eG41I/edit?usp=sharing