warren42
ThinkBig

The USFG should regret the Patriot Act

ThinkBig has forfeited round #2.
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

warren42

Con

This is for Bsh1's Team Debate Olympic Tournament, and this is the bronze medal round. I am partners with TN05 and ThinkBig is with fire_wings. As such is the case, neither of these debaters can vote.

Full text of the resolution:
The United States federal government should regret the passage of the Patriot Act.

Definitions:
Regret- to express remorse for
Should- used in auxiliary function to express obligation, propriety, or expediency

Rules:
No semantics
No trolling
No kritiks/counterplans
No new arguments in the final round
BoP is shared

If ThinkBig or Fire_Wings have any issues with the resolution or definitions they wish to add, he must contact me to change it before we begin. Once the debate starts all rules and definitions are accepted.

Structure:
Round 1- Acceptance
Round 2- Constructives
Round 3- Rebuttals
Round 4- Conclusions
ThinkBig

Pro

Our team accepts. Good luck.
warren42

Con

Thank you to our esteemed opponents, ThinkBig and fire_wings. I look forward to an excellent exchange. No definitions or rules have been challenged or added, so those provided in the opening round are what we have to work with.

I. Intro
It is first important to frame this debate as far as the time period. Post-9/11 the people were terrified and lawmakers were scrambling to ensure that nothing like the attacks of September 11 would happen again. We must remember throughout the debate that the passage of the act was intended to protect Americans. Whether or not the results ever materialized, it should not be regretted. The Patriot Act was the right path to take at the time of its passing, so even if its time has come to be repealed, we should not regret its existence.

II. The Path Toward Protection
The point of the Patriot Act was to protect the general population from devastating terror attacks similar to September 11th. The law equipped law enforcement and intelligence officials with the tools needed to combat terrorism, which was a growing threat, perceived as even greater than materialized.

"As recognized in the Declaration of Independence, the first responsibility of government is to preserve the lives and liberty of the people. Following the horrific events of Sept. 11, President Bush, the Senate and the House of Representatives, in a rare display of bipartisanship, vowed to do everything within the boundaries of the Constitution to prevent additional terrorist attacks. The Patriot Act is one of the most significant tools Congress has given to law enforcement to combat the people that want to kill Americans on U.S. soil. The Patriot Act has enhanced the fight against terrorists in four key areas: (1) it has removed obstacles to investigating terrorism; (2) it has strengthened the criminal laws against terrorism; (3) it has enhanced the federal government's capacity to share intelligence; and (4) it has updated the law to keep pace with tremendous advances in technology." [1]

The main focus of the law was to make sure the people were protected. The government should never regret an attempt to keep the people safe, especially when it is a rational reaction to a major catastrophe.

III. Democracy
The United States was founded as a government by the people, for the people. Therefore, representatives should respect opinions of their constituents. In the years following 9/11, nearly two thirds of respondents believed the United States was either "about right" in the balance of privacy and protection or hadn't gone far enough restricting liberties to ensure safety. [2] We must uphold this core value of American culture and respect the wishes of the people. Thankfully, most lawmakers did. [1]

IV. Peace of Mind
Whether or not the Patriot Act was effective, the American people felt safer with it in effect, as evident by the support it garnered. This intangible benefit is extremely important, because the goal of terrorism is to strike fear into its victims. The Patriot Act was able to successfully combat the major goal of terrorists everywhere, and in turn was largely successful.

V. Conclusion
The Patriot Act was passed, as it should have been, to quell fears during a very volatile time in American history. Though the Patriot Act may have had its time come and go, it definitely had a time where it was the right move for American lawmakers to make.

[1] http://www.discovery.org...
[2] http://www.gallup.com...
Posted by bsh1 4 weeks ago
bsh1
Since Think and Fire forfeited, TN05 and Warren have secured the bronze.
Posted by ThinkBig 1 month ago
ThinkBig
Under 7 hours left
Posted by ThinkBig 1 month ago
ThinkBig
On this topic, yes.
Posted by warren42 1 month ago
warren42
So you want Pro then?
Posted by ThinkBig 1 month ago
ThinkBig
No I was the one that posted the topics and my personal positions on them. Let's get the debate started ASAP. I'd hate to have to do one that Bsh gives us.
Posted by warren42 1 month ago
warren42
Wow I thought Bsh posted the list of topics... I guess I could do Con but I'd prefer a different topic if we can get one ASAP
Posted by ThinkBig 1 month ago
ThinkBig
I thought we were pro on this debate.