Baseballer2007
RaeTulo

The USFG should substainially increase social services for persons living in poverty

Con Tied Pro

Baseballer2007

Con

I wish to go neg for this round and are interested in hearing some unique affs. Thanks for whoever responds.
RaeTulo

Pro

I affirm the following resolution.
The USFG should substantially increase social services for persons living in poverty.
According to the Business Dictionary, social services are benefits and facilities such as education, food subsidies, health care, and subsidized housing provided by a government to improve life and living conditions.

USFG abbreviates the United States Federal Government.
If I'm wrong, I pray my opponent corrects me.

1.Inequality exists.
Subpoint A: Inequality exists in education.
According to Reginald T. Shuford, "Today, an overwhelming number of black and Latino students are attending segregated, underperforming schools. Indeed, black and Latino students attend more segregated schools now than at any other time during the past four decades. Forty percent of Latinos and thirty-nine percent of African-Americans attend segregated schools, a reality made worse by the fact that nearly 60 percent of students attending these schools live near or below the poverty line." The graduation rates at high poverty schools and segregated schools "frequently hover below 50 percent." Realizing the full result of these problems, means seeing that, not only are these students affected, but entire communities as wholes.

Subpoint B: Inequality exists in healthcare.
According to the CNN : "Poverty and poor health are intertwined, experts say. Poverty in the United States increased 20 percent between 2000 and 2004, census numbers show. And although the trend stalled in 2005, researchers worry poverty will have profound effects on public health in this country."
Also, according to a National Health Survey conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 40 million people of all ages went without insurance at some point in 2005.
Peter Senge says that "Poverty is the number one health problem. As long as poverty exists, it remains the number one health care problem. No matter what condition our patients present to us, it is complicated in ways beyond our comprehension by poverty."

More inequality does exist, but I don't feel I need evidence, as it is no secret that those living under the poverty line have poorer housing, inadequate healthcare, lack of jobs and qualifications, inadequate schooling, etc.

Furthermore..
2. Providing the impoverished with increased social services can only result in benefits.
According to FY 2008 HHS Poverty Guidelines, for a typical family of 4, a minimum of $20,650 was to be provided to those under the poverty line.
According to the US Census Bureau, $27,590.16 was the anuual income for a median worker in 2009.
Because the annual income for an individual median worker is $27,590.76 (remember, this supports one man/woman) is very close to the amount of social services provided to a family of FOUR in 2008, we must see that social services need to INCREASE their...well, services. :) Remember my definition of Social Services as according to the Business dictionary. Social services are benefits and facilities such as education, food subsidies, health care, and subsidized housing provided by a government to improve life and living conditions. While we see that $27,590.76 supports one man alone, and $20,650, an even lesser amount, of social services is supposed to support FOUR people, we need to realize that, in order to achieve the benefits I claim through my definition, the minimum of $20,650 in social services for a family of four, needs to be increased significantly. By doing so, we'd ACTUALLY be SUPPORTING these impoverished families.
As we have a very large impoverished population, we must see that benefitting these families and individuals will in turn benefit communities, and our society as a whole.
If we increase social services, we will provide impoverished populations with education, housing, food, basic needs, healthcare. And when individuals of a society have nearly all the same benefits (ones that achieve good), we must see that it is, in fact, only beneficiary to everyone to increase social services to the impoverished.
Vote pro.
Baseballer2007

Con

Baseballer2007 forfeited this round.
RaeTulo

Pro

Seeing as my opponent hasn't posted any refutations, I must assume he agrees with my case.
My points stand, as they've gone unrefuted, and I've refuted my opponents arguments as well, so you can cross that over to my side.
Vote pro.
Baseballer2007

Con

Baseballer2007 forfeited this round.
RaeTulo

Pro

RaeTulo forfeited this round.
Baseballer2007

Con

Sorry, i intended this is be CX orientatied. With a long aff/plan text:/ i am not to interested to talk about generic "Social services" good case arguements, but thanks for accepting! no need to even vote on this debate:P but goodluck
RaeTulo

Pro

I agree.
I think everyone should vote "Tied."
:D
Baseballer2007

Con

Cool:) maybe if you do CX, we can retry this haha thxs tho
RaeTulo

Pro

Well, let me know the format for the next debate, and I'll be happy to retry. :D
Posted by J.Kenyon 7 years ago
J.Kenyon
I'll submit it to you on monday, I have our case and plan saved at school. It'll go like this:

1R - 1 AC > Cross-x >1NC
2R - Affirmative answers negative CX questions > Affirmative CX's the negative > 2AC > Negative answers affirmative CX questions > Negative CX's the affirmative > 2NC
3R - Affirmative answers negative CX questions > Affirmative CX's the negative > Negative answers affirmative CX questions > 1NR
4R - 1AR > 2NR
5R - 2AR > Negative thanks audience and opponent.

Got it?
Posted by J.Kenyon 7 years ago
J.Kenyon
I might take it tomorrow with a vouchers plan my partner and I made from scratch.
Posted by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
substantially
Posted by I-am-a-panda 7 years ago
I-am-a-panda
"substainially" Lol wut?
Posted by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
Unfortunately, you won't find many if any policy debaters on this site. It's more conducive to LD/PF debate. If you're just looking to find interesting cases, look here: debatecoaches.org/wiki
It's an extensive list of self-disclosed cases.
Vote Placed by Hurstman 7 years ago
Hurstman
Baseballer2007RaeTuloTied
Vote Placed by RaeTulo 7 years ago
RaeTulo
Baseballer2007RaeTuloTied
Vote Placed by Baseballer2007 7 years ago
Baseballer2007
Baseballer2007RaeTuloTied