HenryGBR
Mark_Corrigan

The United Kingdom should leave the European Union

HenryGBR

HenryGBR

Pro

First round is initiation.
After previously posting an identical debate, my opponent did not partake in arguing and forfeited all the rounds. I hope the same does not happen!
This house believes the United Kingdom should leave the European Union.
The EU is a 28 member union of European countries, all of its 500million citizens may work, live, claim welfare funds (benefits) and move freely in any 28 of the states with no restrictions. The EU Parliament passes laws which affect all states, particularly in areas such as the environment, fishing, agriculture and the economy. Within the EU is the Eurozone, a collection of countries all using the Euro which usually exchanged at "1 to 1.20".

I am from London, Great Britain and I shall be arguing FOR the motion.

- Happy Debating..! -
Mark_Corrigan

Con

Great Britain's place in the EU is not one matched with history. Great Britain, was the world's first and arguably last hyperpower, a nation of great imperial riches. London, the world's premier city for everything humanity could ever conceive. It all tumbled during and after the Second World War. Britain had at that point controlled 1/3 of the globe's land and inhabitants. Through peaceful or violent means, the empire eventually collapsed, and by 1949 the empire had devolved into the Commonwealth. The reason this is important, is because this is a reminder of what Britain was, not what Britain is. Great Britain is today a leading developed nation. No longer the hungry and unstoppable imperial beast of the 19th century. Great Britain is more integrated into the European spectre. Although of independent currency thanks to the BoE, it still holds close ties with its fellow EU members. This is wonderful because a closer Europe is a more peaceful Europe. Great Britain through geography is a European nation, how a past of imperial dominance would alter that is baffling. With Britain's future in the balance this coming referendum (if the Tories get their way), it's important that the British people understand why European cooperation is so crucial. No, it's not just more dumb, business-stifling regulation, it's cleaner air, it's not anti-worker regulation, it's protection from exploitation, and finally, it's not just some meaningless duty, the money goes towards enriching Europe through the multiplier effect. Immigrants are a necessary aspect of Britain's continuance as Great, Britain, and I could find no better candidates than our European neighbours. Already highly-skilled, educated, and sympathetic to the British way of life, Britain is set for a bright future within the European Union as an appreciated equal, not as the default bully of the past.
HenryGBR

Pro

Let me start by saying that I don't hate Europe. Europe is the best continent on the planet, it's diverse with countless languages and a history more valuable than anything. I make regular visits to different European countries every year. But just because you're friends with someone, doesn't mean you should sleep with them. Just because we love Europe, doesn't mean we have to be in this union with them.

The EU can be likened to communism, to the USSR. Think about it. Any law the UK makes that contradicts an EU law or that the EU doesn't agree with WILL be overruled and become null and void even if it has 100% support from parliament and from the British public. For example, when the British government wanted to reduce tax on insulation to encourage energy efficiency, the EU decided that we couldn't have variable taxes on certain products. Even though this affected absolutely no one in any country but the UK and that those who it did affect it affected positively, Brussels had to stick its nose into OUR internal affairs and make a scene.
Leaving the EU will give us our power back.

Immigration. It had to come up. All EU citizens are allowed to move freely around Europe (provided they have documentation when leaving the Schengen zone), to live anywhere in the EU and to work anywhere in the EU. So all EU citizens (all 500 million of them!) are allowed, under EU law, to live and work in the UK and there is absolutely nothing we can do to stop them. Of course, not all 0.5bn are coming to the UK but a hell of a lot are. The Labour government in 2004 said that when Poland joined the EU, we could expect around 15,000 Polish immigrants. How wrong were they? Very wrong indeed. We had over 40 times that number with a shocking 600,000 Poles entering the UK and settling there. Polish is now the second most spoken language in England and Wales. If most of the Poles are working, let's say 500,000 of them, then that's 500,000 jobs they have stolen from Britons who are unemployed. This wouldn't happen anywhere else in the world, in the US you cannot immigrate if you are taking a job that could be done by an American, the law is the same the world over, but just because we are in bed with Poland and 27 other member states, means we have to take anyone that comes to us, no questions asked. We have 2.5million unemployed of our own, and we could give one fifth of them jobs JUST by restricting immigration from Poles. We can check their passports, if it's an EU passport...they have to get through. It's disgraceful.
A small number of immigrants is fine; 600,000 from just one country is not. It also means all the skilled workers from Poland are missing! They've gone somewhere else, so it's bad for the Polish economy too! Now, I'm not just against Polish immigration, I'm against all immigration from all EU countries, I just have the figures for Poland.

All 500million citizens of the European Union are entitled to benefits, healthcare and housing in the UK. You have cancer in Romania? Dear, just make a trip to the UK with one of the best healthcare systems in the world. Don't worry, the British taxpayer will pick up the tab! The taxpayer also gives "60billion to the EU every year, most of that money, they don't get back; you see, the UK is one of the EU countries who puts in more money than they get out unlike Romania or Bulgaria who really DO benefit from the EU. Some people argue that the EU helps to maintain our environment, beaches and rivers; it would be too expensive for us to do. But we CAN do this ourselves, we get out of EU and we save "60billion each and every year, we can spent that on maintaining our rivers and beaches, we can spend it on improving infrastructure, building schools and hospitals or repairing our welfare and healthcare system after years of abuse from EU migrants.
Why should Romanians, Bulgarians, Germans, Spaniards, Portuguese, Belgian, Danish, Swedish, Italian or anyone who isn't British be entitled to BRITISH benefits, BRITISH healthcare and BRITISH housing?! They never paid a penny towards National Insurance, they never paid a penny of tax to our government, in fact our government spent "60billion pounds trying to fix THEIR government, THEIR country.

Concluding the first round of debate: we should leave the EU to get our power back, to get our borders back and to get our money back!
Mark_Corrigan

Con

Mark_Corrigan forfeited this round.
HenryGBR

Pro

Wow. Forfeiting. That shows fantastic commitment.
Mark_Corrigan

Con

That is because I do forfeit, you made plenty of good points that have actually made me re-evaluate and adjust my own, I forfeit this debate and concede victory to you.
HenryGBR

Pro

Great...thanks for a rather pointless and uninteresting debate.
Mark_Corrigan

Con

Mark_Corrigan forfeited this round.
Posted by Mike01506 2 years ago
Mike01506
"The EU can be likened to communism, to the USSR." No... I don't think it can. That's a bit of a narrow minded way of thinking.
You say decisions made by us will be overruled, well they only will be if no-one else agrees, then it must be a pretty bad suggestion. We can close our borders against the EU's wishes and they won't do anything, we could probably negotiate our way into doing it legitimately if we had politicians with backbones.
If we leave the EU, we'd have absolutely no influence to decisions being made on our doorstep, and I think that would be foolish. If D.O allowed me to verify my profile, I would debate against you HenryGBR.
Vote Placed by WilliamofOckham 3 years ago
WilliamofOckham
HenryGBRMark_CorriganTied
Reasons for voting decision: An honorable concession by con.