henrywatson
LivWisely12

The United Kingdom should leave the European Union

henrywatson

Con

Information:

This house believes that the United Kingdom should leave the European Union, a political union of 28 European countries which offers citizens European Union citizenship, freedom of movement, a common market, and more.

I shall oppose the motion, as I believe the UK should remain a part of the EU.

The Proposition should make opening arguments in this round (round one).
LivWisely12

Pro

I think that The united kingdom has been doing quite well on it's own. It has it's own currency, and government, and has not reached forward in anyway to help the other EU countries. Its almost like it's already it's own country. However, we cannot predict the future. A crisis in the UK may make it depend on the EU in future.
henrywatson

Con

The UK hasn't been on it's own for decades. For over forty years we have been part of the European Union or one of its predecessors. All EU member states have their own governments even though there are several law-making EU bodies based in Brussels. Yes, the UK is its own country but it would be far worse off without the European Union " we greatly benefit economically from the EU as we are an English speaking country with close ties to North America: we are almost the portal to the rest of Europe.

Britons benefit from freedom of movement. All EU citizens have the right to live anywhere else in the European Union. This means that when we get bored of our cold, rainy island, we can move to sunny Spain, idyllic Italy, or any of the several Mediterranan countries. If you're out of job in the UK, the EU makes it infinitely easier to get a job in another EU country. And families living all around Europe are no longer separated by strict visa rules or bureaucratic immigration regulations.

Unlike the UK government, the EU government always acts in the best interest of the people of Europe. For example, the European Parliament ignored big businesses and listened to Europeans with their decision to abolish all mobile phone roaming charges for EU citizens by December 2015: we just don't get governments as kind as that on a national level!
If I want to send a parcel to my friend in the US, I have to fill out complicated customs forms and pay unpredictable charges just to get my parcel into the US. My friend in Finland, however, is able to send me and receive my parcels with absolutely no tariff, no customs form, nothing like that at all. If we left the European Union, we would be leaving all of this behind.

All you have to do is look at a bloody map! We are in Europe, we are a part of it! One massive, unified European voice can enable us to do so much more in the world than if we were to stand alone: a sad, rainy, little island which decided to leave the world's greatest example of peace-making and unity all because some us didn't like having Romanians in our country...
LivWisely12

Pro

LivWisely12 forfeited this round.
henrywatson

Con

yay...a forfeit.
LivWisely12

Pro

LivWisely12 forfeited this round.
henrywatson

Con

henrywatson forfeited this round.
LivWisely12

Pro

LivWisely12 forfeited this round.