The United Methodist Church Should Recognize Gay Marriage

Hello guys this is my 49th debate :).
I have been on hiatus due to my senior year of high school so I am sorry. I will be more active.
It was hard to put this debate in religion as it could also be political too.
First round=acceptance and opening statements.
I will be arguing that the United Methodist Church should not allow/recognize gay marriage.
Good luck, let"s have a good debate together.

Hello Kylar. I appreciate your question, and I gladly accept. I hope you enjoy having this debate. Lets begin.

My argument will be rather simple in its approach:
1) The Untied Methodist Church upholds the doctrine of the classical scriptural cannon according to Damasine Council of Rome and third Council of Carthage.
2) Scripture clearly teaches that marriage is between a man and a women, and any other sexual relationship should not be allowed in the church.
3) Therefore, a gay "marriage" should not be recognized in the church, and the members of the United Methodist Church should not be in such a union.

Point 1
On the United Methodist webpage they say "We believe that the Bible is God"s Word and is the primary authority for our faith and practice." So clearly Methodist theology will bend around the words of scripture.
(* )

Point 2
Now please note when I am arguing I am specifically arguing from the point of view of scripture. Also I am not arguing that people who are not members of the Christian faith have to uphold these commands, because Paul is rather clear that unbelievers in Christ should be expected to act exactly like people who do not have God. However Paul when writing to the believers in Corinth said

"9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."
-1 Corinthians 6: 9-11

So, clearly homosexuality is condemned that this sexual behavior is condemned, but also Jesus has a very specific idea of marriage.
Jesus said:

" 4 "Haven"t you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator "made them male and female, 5 and said, "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate." Matthew 19 4-6

Jesus sees the union of a man and a women as the sacred bond which follows the old testament tradition. And any other sexual interaction, including gay marriage is considered a sin.

Point 3-
Now, since the United Methodist Church wants to uphold their scriptural beliefs, they do not want to allow a person fully celebrating a sinful life (according to scripture) to be a part of their church body, and will not support and say it is completely natural and fine.

I will continue on with the implications and the legality in the rebuttal along with any significant claims made by my friend Kylar.

Thank you for the debate my friend, and I am sorry this took so long to post its been a rough weekend. Good luck to you and I promise to be kind, yet serious, always :)
My opening point/rebuttals for this debate are as follows.
Point 1/Refutation 1
My good friend is complete accurate in his point here. The United Methodist Church's interpretations of the Holy Bible would clearly define all that it stands for. I see no need to question my friend on this one.
Refutation 2/Point 2
The fact that Jesus Christ himself condemned gay marriage should be the cornerstone of the United Methodist Church's manifesto on gay marriage.
Refutation 3/Point 3
My worthy opponent and friend puts this statement in here very cleverly and it is a good statement. The UMC is yes of the mindset that "homosexuality is not compatible with Christian teaching." This is true, and yet, with the UMC having more and more issues internally with gay marriage, one has to wonder if a vote will be held on recognition of gay marriage.

I will point out that the Episcopal Church USA, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, United Church of Christ and the Presbyterian Church USA have all recognized gay marriage, and so naturally one would expect the other churches to follow suit. But keep in mind this, the Presbyterian Church USA is splitting a lot over gay marriage after they recognized it. Think carefully, do we want another church split, and in particular, in the second largest protestant denomination in the United States of America?
I ask my friend to take these kind points into account.
I promise again to be serious but courteous always and always gentle in this debate, good luck my friend, back to you.

tanner_1230 forfeited this round.

My kind friend has forfeited round II.
I will post round III briefly.
Gay marriage was not ordained in the word of God.
If the UMC is going to properly uphold the word of God, they must not recognize gay marriage.
Thank you, and thank you for the debate.

I would like to begin by apologizing to my friend Kylar for failing to post a response for round 2. I had some confusion in timing, but I still would like to say I deeply apologize.

First off I am generally confused:
It seems I have misread the original prompt and thus forfeit this debate by the fact I cannot think of any legal or religious reason against Mr. Kylar's position. I am extremely sorry for misunderstanding you and would like to kindly ask you attempt this debate again with someone against your position.

Tanner Jones

I thank my worthy friend for his time.
I understand completely his reasons for stepping out, and approve it.
waiving the last 2 rounds

I waive this and apoligize sincerely to all that viewed and may vote

tanner_1230 forfeited this round.
Posted by PurpleRainbow 6 months ago
It's really stupid how people act like you don't follow the bible because you think being gay is fine. It clearly isn't very important to God, since its supposedly mentioned in the bible 6 times and Jesus never brought it up. I won't type up my reasoning behind thinking God's fine with gay marriage, since its very long. But if you'd like to jear, please, debate me. Even if it turns out being gay is wrong, I'm not going g to hell. Christians aren't perfect saints and God wouldn't expect all of us to believe exactly the same things.
Posted by PurpleRainbow 6 months ago
Why are you guys argueing the same thing?
Posted by dsjpk5 6 months ago
Should I vote?
Posted by thewiseguy1 7 months ago
I would agree with my fellow comment...
There is no need for politics in religion.

God gave h is word.... Stand by it if you believe... If not then you do not....

Simple in such a shorter version....
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 7 months ago
How strange to see a debate of this kind .... it BELONGS in politics! You see, The Church IS NOT one of options. No member, Leader or head HAS the authority to alter the word God. We serve God, not the other way around. We are dead to self, therefore we have no opinion but that given by God.

Colossians 2:20
Since you died with Christ to the elemental spiritual forces of this world, why, as though you still belonged to the world, do you submit to its rules:

Romans 6:11In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

No True Bible believing Church could ever allow active sin of any kind in its bylaws and still be Blessed by God! No Leader of any church is given authority to deviate from the scriptures. Sin be it Gay, stealing, living together out of wedlock, sex outside of marriage, lying, any form of sin is prohibited, that is to say can be ACTIVELY present, or can be an active part of the Believer or the is a STRONG possibility that the believer is NOT saved, and is only going through the motions as defined in Matthew .

Matthew 7:21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22"Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' 23"And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'