The United Nations: Useless in the Reduction of Poverty

I will be arguing and establishing that the that the united nations is an useless organisation that has failed to reduce poverty.
Best of luck.

I accept your challenge.

Pro in his title says 'The United Nations: Useless in the Reduction of Poverty'
So Pro is arguing the UN is not succeding in reducing Poverty.

But the, in the opening statement, Pro states 'The united nations is an useless
organisation that has failed to reduce poverty'.
So Pro is arguing that the UN is useless and it has not reduced poverty?

Pro is contradicting himself in his first two sentences about what he is arguing about!

But to clear this up, I, con, will be arguing that the UN has been an extremly succesful organization that has amongst a plethora of other things reduced poverty.

Pro will try to prove the opposite.

I am looking forward to your arguments.

ark_shadow3011 forfeited this round.

Since my opponent has forfeited, and I assume he will not come back to this debate, I will not spend alot of my energy on this debate. But here it goes.

Resolution: the UN is a successful organization
  1. By having deployed 42 peace-keeping forces as of 1996, the UN was able to restore calm to allow the negotiating process to go forward while saving millions of people from becoming casualties of conflicts. There are presently 16 active peace-keeping forces in operation.

1. Since 1945, the United Nations has been credited with negotiating 172 peaceful settlements that have ended regional conflicts.

1. More than 30 million refugees fleeing war, famine or persecution have received aid from the UN High Commissioner for Refugees since 1951.

1. UN agencies have worked to make safe drinking water available to 1.3 billion people in rural areas during the last decade.

1. A 13-year effort by the World Health Organization resulted in the complete eradication of smallpox from the planet in 1980. The eradication has saved an estimated $1 billion a year in vaccination and monitoring.

1. UNEP led a major effort to clean up the Mediterranean Sea. It encouraged adversaries such as Syria and Israel, Turkey and Greece to work together to clean up beaches. As a result, more than 50 per cent of the previously polluted beaches are now usable.

1. The UN Population Fund, through its family planning programmes, has enabled people to make informed choices, and consequently given families, and especially women, greater control over their lives. As a result, women in developing countries are having fewer children - from six births per woman in the 1960s to 3.5 today.

Resolution: The UN is/was successful in reducing poverty

First of here is a very interesting and intuitive site with lots of information if anyone is interested.

1. Goal 1: Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
    • Target 1A: Halve, between 1990 and 2015, the proportion of people living on less than $1.25 a day[8]
      • Poverty gap ratio [incidence x depth of poverty]
      • Share of poorest quintile in national consumption
    • Target 1B: Achieve Decent Employment for Women, Men, and Young People
      • GDP Growth per Employed Person
      • Employment Rate
      • Proportion of employed population below $1.25 per day (PPP values)
      • Proportion of family-based workers in employed population
    • Target 1C: Halve, between 1990 and 2015, the proportion of people who suffer from hunger
      • Prevalence of underweight children under five years of age
      • Proportion of population below minimum level of dietary energy consumption[9]

From the official report in 2013

1. The target of reducing extreme poverty rates by half was met five years ahead of the 2015 deadline.

1. Globally, 384 million workers lived below the $1.25 a day poverty line in 2011—a reduction of 294 million since 2001.

1. The hunger reduction target is within reach by 2015.

So all of the UN mandated goals for reducing poverty where either met, or are within close reach.

Clearly the Un is a succesfull organization that has contributed greatly to reducing poverty.

ark_shadow3011 forfeited this round.

Since my opponent has left me nothing to rebut, I extend my argument.

ark_shadow3011 forfeited this round.

I extend my argument
Posted by Tore_Mihror 2 years ago
Dear Pro,
I have in fact attended quite a bit of real debates, in addition of attending a number of them here on I am fully aware what it means to be Pro. I just pointted out the inconsistency of your proof of burden. What I an still not clear about are you resolving the UN is useless, and one of the things it has failed at is poverty reduction, or are you saying the UN is usless just in poverty reduction?
Your situation is understandable, Best of luck to you too
Posted by ark_shadow3011 2 years ago
Dear Opponent,
I hope that in your life you have attended or atleast participated in a debate. If you have you would know that when you state that you are for the motion or pro that means that you support the motion in its entirety. Thus when I state I am for the United states being useless in the reduction of poverty I mean that they are absolutely and utterly useless in the reduction of poverty.
Also I may have to forfeit the 1st round as I am facing a bit of a personal crisis I will however try my best to put forth a defense capable of encompassing your attention.
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: FF.