TomThePenguin
RedPandaz

The United Nations is an effective platform for international issues.

RedPandaz has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

TomThePenguin

Con

For this debate, I would like a polished and professional discussion with the aim to sway both your opponent and the voters. I hope this debate is enjoyable and lively for all those participating.

I would like to open the debate with an argument defending my first position, choosing con. I believe that the United Nations is both an ineffective and intrusive organization, its existence a platform for special interests. While it has done good in the past, recent events show that most countries are fully capable of acting on a more local level without a forceful hand to guide them. In addition, when passing international standards on issues such as LGBT rights, several theocratic nations voted against it, stalling any hope for LGBT rights to be upholded worldwide. And where UN peacekeepers are concerned, their presence is a massive infringement on an already delicate situation. UN peacekeepers often stay in active war zones for extended periods of time, with the only daily progress being casualties. The final point: the UN is too big a power to efficiently help and positively impact the locations where it intervenes, often taking on tasks that would better be left to local coalitions and trade organizations.
RedPandaz

Pro

However, I believe that the UN is still effective, as it can help decide global conflicts, keep errant countries in line, and agree upon worldwide resolutions, none of which a country can do effectively even if not blocked due to not being in their juristiction
TomThePenguin

Con

To begin, I will introduce not the missteps of the UN but rather the benefits of more local organizations. I will start with ECOWAS (Economic Community Of West African States). ECOWAS is a regional economic union of fifteen countries in West Africa, with a stated mission of promoting economic integration across the region. However, ECOWAS has been successful in more than just trade. In recent news, it can be noted that Gambia underwent a turbulent presidential election that resulted in a forceful removal from power after a refusal to adhere to election results. And, without the need for UN intervention, an ECOWAS military coalition deposed the unlawful ruler. Imagine if the UN had been there: hundreds of advisors, peacekeepers, and volunteers in a situation that was quickly resolved locally. Multi-national organizations such as ECOWAS are able to improve international relations without forcing foreigners onto internal issues.
Posted by RedPandaz 1 year ago
RedPandaz
My internet was down all weekend and I therefore couldn't post