Postup10101
TheWheel

The United States Is The Most Powerful Country on Earth

Postup10101

Pro

The USA is absolutely a "Super-Country". Have we had our faults? Of course, but so has every other single country. We have the most powerful military, a superb law/court system, and most importantly, we have made it through a lot. I find this to be a good argument, and I look forward to debating
TheWheel

Con

I, as my opponent, look forward to an excellent debate. Now, for my case:

1- We have had not shown many big accomplishments. We're STILL fighting the war in the Middle East, so we cannot be a "super-country," as the opponent states. We may have put an end to the Genocide done by Hitler, however, that came short, as we decided to help late. We haven't done much in the past months to stop the Oil Spill. It raged for many weeks, and I doubt stopping it in July, when it started in March, seems like a big accomplishment.

2- A Super-Country is likely to be nearly impossible to break. However, people are doing it all the time. Back, years ago, terrorists snuck into the U.S., and had smuggled bombs to cause the damage that occurred on what we called "9/11." I don't really see how that happening proves we're "super." It only appears to prove we're far from the most powerful.

3- Our law and order system is far from making us the most powerful country, or perhaps too much of it is meant to keep us that powerful? When we do jury duty, the right of "freedom," to express ourselves, is taken away. We HAVE to follow the law. How does this make us powerful? It's not for us, it's for the government, so how does leaving us without freedom make our country the best?

4- The U.S.A. hasn't been around long, approximately two centuries at the most, including the beginning of the 21st Century. What's good being around long, if we've almost been destroied many times? The stock market crashing crippled thousands of people, and made them lose jobs. The 9-11 incident caused hundreds of families their loved ones, and several buildings were caught aflame. And what good is lasting this long if we're helpless, despite this "most powerful military," to recall the attempted bombing last december.

As such, I urge a vote on the neg side.
Postup10101

Pro

I appreciate my opponent accepting this challenge. And look forward to a well down 3 rounds of debating.

To start out, when I posted the topic I did not mean to come off as cocky or a "show-off". We are the most powerful country and have been the most powerful country since the American Revolution. We have defiantly had our bad times as well: The civil war, Great Depression, etc. However, what i feel makes us so very powerful is our power to overcome things likes these. At the end of the civil war we lost a lot of americans, but also slavery had been made illegal. After the Great Depression we came out of there with more knowledge about how important of a part our economy was for our country.

Back in the 18th Century, a French author had predicted that the strongest 2 countries would have been The USA and Russia. He was right and I feel that the proof is around us right not.

I don't like bringing things like the oil spill into the picture because the government had nothing to do with that. BP tried cleaning it up and Obama gave them a hand. Yes, this oil spill will effect the economy but as I mentioned before, we have overcome worse. And as my opponent mentioned 9/11, could we had been a little more prepared? Honestly we could do much more. We knew that Al Qaeda was talking about an attack but we didn't know whether they were bluffing and if they weren't then what type of attack and where. Terrorist attack through commercial aircraft was very rare at the time of 9/11 so i personally don't think we couldn't have done TOO much more.

I plan on saving the argument about our military for round 3.
TheWheel

Con

First, most of these things have been from getting aide from other countries, and disproves my opponent's theory of being "super-country." And for the things we did ourselves, I don't see how that makes us any greater than other countries. Britain was around much longer than us, seeing as separated from it to form this country. So, they would be considered a more powerful country than us, in terms of length. They also suffered through the revolution, and were victorious in surviving through it.

Next, to start - I need a name for that author, otherwise, it's considered lies. The government had plenty to do with it. It was close to their country, despite being out at sea, and was affecting the western coast. So they should've handled it quickly, instead of letting it drag on for multiple days. We don't even have security now. Even AFTER nine-eleven, a shoe bomber almost blew up a plane in 2003, followed by many other commercial-flight attacks. There's even the incident from last December 25th, where a Nigerian man attempted to ignite an explosive device, but failed to fully detonate. We seem to be lacking a sufficient amount of security.
Postup10101

Pro

When you mentioned that we get "aide" from other allied countries, you are correct. However, people make it sound like they give us a lot more than they really do. And the reason we were getting any support from our allies in Europe is because they know they owe us from WWI, WWII, and other cases like that. In WWI, we were just trying to get our country running in the correct way and begin to build a strong economy. Even with our hands full in the states, we knew that we had to lend out our hand to countries in Europe like United Kingdom, France and a few others. In WWII we went out of our way to help United Kingdom, Poland, France, etc. We could have just stayed in Japan and defeat them, but instead we had more brave men get shipped to Europe to help fight of the Nazi's and Hitler's brigade, too. On top of that, we were down 2,403 men that had just died at Pearl Harbor and another 1178 that were wounded. President Roosevelt didn't wait a couple months for us to get back on our feet, he immediately asked congress to declare war on Japan. Therefore, this proves my theory of our superb military.

http://www.globalfirepower.com...

http://top-10-list.org...

"The government had plenty to do with it. It was close to their country, despite being out at sea, and was affecting the western coast. So they should've handled it quickly, instead of letting it drag on for multiple days. We don't even have security now." - TheWheel. ??? The government had plenty to do with what? It appears to me that my opponent is just speaking gibberish in some cases. And my opponent mentioned how our airport security lacks sufficiency... Have you ever been to an airport in the United States? Do you see what they do in security? Sometimes they even frisk you. What else can they possibly do? Make you get naked and then look through all of your clothes and look for weapons? Also how he mentioned a shoe bomber, what else can we really do to prevent that? You take your shoes off and get them examined my the thermal/x-ray machine. What else should they do? Pull apart your shoes and look for a bomb? I don't think so.

And also, the commercial airliner attacks you mentioned, we most of them successful? Were any successful? If our security was so bad then these bombings would have occurred, and then we would have made our security even stricter. Time Square bombing was also prevented, and there isn't a security system in Time Square where cars have to be checked for bombs, now is there!

As well as the World Wars, we have also helped countries like Israel and Kuwait when they were being invaded our bullied by Saddam Hussein and his little army. We gave them a message and told them to stay out of these other countries or else they were going to have a larger war then the one they were already in (The Gulf War), and that's what we are in today.

I enjoyed this debate and I hope the viewers vote for my case.

Brendan
14
New York
TheWheel

Con

I, as well, thank my opponent for this debate, as I finish.

Saying "President Roosevelt didn't wait" for us to "get back on our feet" doesn't really convince a superb military. It never states anywhere, with a link to our "greatest military." It only spoke of his reckless behavior as President of the United States. There has been no supplied reason to how it's the best. My opponent never posted the author of the quote, but the GFP is fairly given. However, the top-10-list.org does share false statements. It claims the U.S.A. is a democracy... however, the "Pledge to the Flag," seems to speak of the United States being a Republic. Thomas Jefferson even spoke against it: "A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."

And for clarity for the voters, I was referring to the Oil Spill. As for my opponent's question, I've lived in the United States all my life. I've seen the checks, yet, how are they still getting in undetected? I just find that amusing, Can't we, the most powerful country, prevent near-detonations.

Recall 9-11. So yes, you can call them successful. And to my opponent, I must bring up searching imports, for say, people trying to smuggle bombs? Perhaps, even that would make us more safer. And this brings up the military! If we have a far greater military than enemy countries, why haven't we won our ongoing wars already?!

I urge a vote on the Con Side for the following reasons:

- U.S.A. isn't even the longest going Country (Great Britain has even been around longer)
- U.S.A. hasn't displayed having a greater military than others; we still many year-long wars ongoing. If we had the greatest military, we'd win already.
- We'd not been through as much as other countries. The Japanese were nuked: twice. Both by our own U.S.A. The country of Great Britain had a lengthy Revolution, where power changed many times. Middle Eastern Countries lost thousands during the Genocide caused by Hitler, and many more from the Genocide in Darfur.

Thus, I urge a vote for my case.

W4331c4air
16
New Jersey
Posted by Postup10101 6 years ago
Postup10101
Sorry this is so late but i finally figured out who the author was: Alexis de Tocqueville
Posted by Sieben 6 years ago
Sieben
Pro - label your arguments and address his within the tags
Con - Stick with your tags

It makes it easier to judge.
Posted by Gonzo 6 years ago
Gonzo
The USA is the most powerfull nation because it is the only country in the world that is completely controlled by the people. Someone said why haven't we won in the middle-east yet, because the people of the United States have not fully supported the war effort like they did in World War I and II. In the US, wars are decided by the will of the people and not by the will of the government. That is what makes this country so great. People also say China will soon become more powerfull. I doubt that because many of the peoples are opressed which will eventually lead to a huge colapse that will cuase millions to suffer. That will not happen here.
Posted by Postup10101 6 years ago
Postup10101
France showed up on basically the last day and did contribute to our victory. But like i said in my argument. We repaid them in WWI and WWII
Posted by Kinesis 6 years ago
Kinesis
Yup, China.
Posted by Anarcho 6 years ago
Anarcho
that USA* Revolution*
Posted by Anarcho 6 years ago
Anarcho
OMG. Did he just say that a has been the most powerful country sine the American Revolutio? You know we only won that because France and Spain helped us right?
Posted by InsertNameHere 6 years ago
InsertNameHere
China probably will be.
Posted by Kinesis 6 years ago
Kinesis
It is at the moment. It won't be for long.
Vote Placed by Postup10101 6 years ago
Postup10101
Postup10101TheWheelTied
Vote Placed by RazaMobizo 6 years ago
RazaMobizo
Postup10101TheWheelTied
Vote Placed by Lamza61 6 years ago
Lamza61
Postup10101TheWheelTied
Vote Placed by TheWheel 6 years ago
TheWheel
Postup10101TheWheelTied
Vote Placed by Sieben 6 years ago
Sieben
Postup10101TheWheelTied
Vote Placed by Gonzo 6 years ago
Gonzo
Postup10101TheWheelTied