The_Glorious_Sammy
CaptainDaveyJones

The United States Should Use the Metric System

The_Glorious_Sammy

Pro

I believe that the United States should switch from the Imperial system to the metric system. The current system in use is outdated and inaccurate. It is based off of random numbers, which do not scale easily. For example, an inch is one twelfth of a foot, a foot is one third of a yard, and a yard is 1760th of a mile. The current system is confusing and arbitrary.

The metric system is based off of the base ten system, and the different forms of measurement comply with each other, such as length and liquid volume. The base ten system is much easier, more accurate, simplistic, and useful. The temperature is based off of natural phenomena as well, with 100 being the boiling point of water at sea level, and 0 being the freezing point.

The metric system is already the universal system for scientists around the world, and the United States is one of the only countries left in the world that is still using the antiquated Imperial system.
CaptainDaveyJones

Con

I agree that there are many valid reasons to swap to the metric system, but I think they ignore the fundamental difficulty with the switch. America is a large county whose infrastructure has long referred to the imperial system. The switch would not be easy. For such a difficult process to be justified, there would have to be great reward.

I do not believe such reward exists. The imperial system is working fine. Americans get around alright, and those who need to use the metric system, scientists, doctors, etc. (and myself included), learn it with no difficulty. They are not hindered by the imperial system. Can we justify so much effort when there is no reward?

If you argue that it is worth the reward, however small or large it may be, because it makes more sense, then tell me something: why has the world not converted to metric time? An hour has no more intrinsic relation to a second than a foot has to an inch. The day could just as easily be broken into ten units as it is broken into 24 hours. Obviously there is a rational for the length of a year (roughly 365 days being the time it takes to revolve around the Sun), but there is no reason the day couldn't be 10 hours of 10 decihours of 10 centihours. Or the other way around.

I would argue that the switch to metric is a great effort with no reward. If you don't agree, where's your metric watch?
The_Glorious_Sammy

Pro

The_Glorious_Sammy forfeited this round.
CaptainDaveyJones

Con

I will give Sammy the benefit of the doubt and not present further arguments in this round. I hope he's just been unexpectedly busy and will respond soon.
The_Glorious_Sammy

Pro

CaptainDaveyJones

Con

Guess not...