NoCoolNameNate
benshapiro613

The United States federal government should pay financial reparations to African Americans

benshapiro613 has forfeited round #3.

NoCoolNameNate

Con

No trolling, first round is for acceptance, use common sense, etc. Thanks!
benshapiro613

Pro

I am happy to accept. I personally agree with the pro side but I will argue con for the sake of debate.
NoCoolNameNate

Con

I'll let my opponent make his arguments first and just focus mainly on rebuttals... After thinking about it the affirmative has multiple ways to approach this so I want to make sure I don't waste time attacking a straw man.
benshapiro613

Pro

I am happy to debate this topic.
The resolution states "The United States federal government should pay financial reparations to African Americans".
I think that before we debate, this resolution should be defined since my adversary has not felt the need to define certain key terms. This resolution doesn't necessarily mean that the government should give money directly to African Americans from white taxpayers. My definitions come from the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

Pay means " to make compensation for". Now what is the compensation for? Compensation must be given for something. It is for how the government used its liberal policies in the past 50 years to keep African Americans in the dirt.

The meaning of the word Financial is "relating to money." This could be for giving welfare and restricting businesses or it could mean getting rid of the welfare state and the regulations.

And finally, the meaning of the word reparation is "something that is done or given as a way of correcting a mistake that you have made or a bad situation that you have caused". In this case the mistake is the liberal policies since the 60's and the thing that is done is implementation of fiscal conservative policies to raise up the African American community.

The African American community has been enslaved by the welfare state since the 1960's. As a result of these programs there are no incentives to go to work. As a result mothers have many children, live off welfare and the dad joins a gang and goes to jail or dies. The children do not go to good schools and aren't taught right from wrong.

Recently black lives matter have been gaining popularity over a false narrative, that police officers are out to get them. As a result, cops are afraid for their lives and are hesitant to police their neighborhoods. Because of this, crimes against black people have risen. My first policy of reparation is to give more funding to the police across the inner cities and stop with the violent anti cop rhetoric. Actually show them support. This will let the police protect the black neighborhoods.

My second policy of reparation is that of school choice. The federal government has no place legislating education. The states have that responsibility. The federal government could encourage school choice by favoring states and school districts who implement that system. School choice will allow a black lower class child into a private school which will teach him morals and give him a better education.

I could continue with these types of policies if you want to continue the debate.
Your main flaw was not being specific in your resolution and allowing me to go first therefore letting me define the debate according to my whim.
NoCoolNameNate

Con

Unfortunately for my opponent, this was an attempt to be clever and semi-troll the resolution but it actually puts in in a position more difficult to defend. I'm jumping right into his contentions now, starting with his skewed definitions:

"Pay means " to make compensation for". Now what is the compensation for? Compensation must be given for something. It is for how the government used its liberal policies in the past 50 years to keep African Americans in the dirt"

To be clear, that is the 4th definition down in Merriam Webster. The other definitions mention a transfer of cash taking place. http://www.merriam-webster.com...

"The meaning of the word Financial is "relating to money." This could be for giving welfare and restricting businesses or it could mean getting rid of the welfare state and the regulations"

No, because that's not a financial payment you're making. It's a large scale financial policy. Two distinct notions.

"And finally, the meaning of the word reparation is "something that is done or given as a way of correcting a mistake that you have made or a bad situation that you have caused". In this case the mistake is the liberal policies since the 60's and the thing that is done is implementation of fiscal conservative policies to raise up the African American community"

Again, here the definition of the word isn't too bad, but you have to make a financial payment to the African Americans in order to actually meet the criteria of the title/resolution, you can't just change a policy and pat yourself on a back like you fulfilled your BOP.

"The African American community has been enslaved by the welfare state since the 1960's"

... Enslaved?

"As a result of these programs there are no incentives to go to work"

Have you ever seen a homeless person on the street? I think they'd like to work. Just a thought, they may prefer that over their box.

"As a result mothers have many children, live off welfare and the dad joins a gang and goes to jail or dies"

This is simply racist and personal speculation. Completely absurd and a gross generalization based off of false stereotypes.

"The children do not go to good schools and aren't taught right from wrong"

A complete bare assertion...

"My first policy of reparation is to give more funding to the police across the inner cities and stop with the violent anti cop rhetoric. Actually show them support. This will let the police protect the black neighborhoods"

This is not a financial payment to African Americans.

"My second policy of reparation is that of school choice. The federal government has no place legislating education. The states have that responsibility. The federal government could encourage school choice by favoring states and school districts who implement that system. School choice will allow a black lower class child into a private school which will teach him morals and give him a better education"

This is not a financial reparation... This is a proposed reform in our educational system, not to mention it's extremely vague. What specific policy is pro telling us to change here? The government does not prevent unprivileged/poor African American children from attending private schools. If anything, welfare gives ANYONE who is poor benefits by providing public schools. In addition, this isn't even limited to African Americans, this just impacts America in general. My opponent's contention here is irrelevant.

My opponent did not address the resolution at all and completely failed to meet his burden of proof. As such, I negate.
Posted by NoCoolNameNate 9 months ago
NoCoolNameNate
Ummm... I know you did this in an attempt to set a trap but it actually was more like digging a hole lol
Posted by NoCoolNameNate 9 months ago
NoCoolNameNate
so you are con but arguing pro?
Posted by benshapiro613 9 months ago
benshapiro613
ThisIsMyUsername333 You read me correctly the first time. I misquoted what I wanted to say.
Posted by benshapiro613 9 months ago
benshapiro613
This is my real position. I am a real conservative who agrees that the government shouldn't directly pay reparations. However, for the sake of this debate I will argue pro.
Posted by NoCoolNameNate 9 months ago
NoCoolNameNate
I'm just going to argue Con and give him his preferred side as that's how the debate is structured anyway.
Posted by NoCoolNameNate 9 months ago
NoCoolNameNate
Posted by NoCoolNameNate 9 months ago
NoCoolNameNate
Posted by ThisIsMyUsername333 9 months ago
ThisIsMyUsername333
Oh, my bad. I misread what he said.
Posted by NoCoolNameNate 9 months ago
NoCoolNameNate
No but he took Pro and says he'll argue con. He didn't take con and say he prefers pro but will go with con. That's wrong.
ThisIsMyUsername333
He's playing devil's advocate. Although he does have Ben Shapiro in his name, and Ben Shapiro isn't exactly a fan of this kind of stuff...