Clayd
Kegan

The United States foreign Aid

Clayd

Con

I believe the United States should not aid any other countries right now in terms of health and money. The United States is in a financial crisis of it's own, and any money going to the other countries would be tax payers money meant for us. We are 14 trillion dollars in debt, helping other countries at the cost of our own would be foolish. We need to take care of ourselves first, then work on helping other people out.

When you are on an airplane and the oxygen masks come down, you secure yours first, then your child's or anyone else's. That's how I feel about this subject. The child being one of our allies, we fix ourself first, then we fix other countries.

I await a response, and I will enjoy this debate. Good luck.
Kegan

Pro

Good luck
1) The United States foreign aid does not have a detrimental effect on the United states, nor does it overstep it's boundaries in spending taxpayer money. less than 1% of U.S budget is spent on foreign aid, and on average 25 cents per YEAR for every american is spent on foreign aid.

2) The money spent on other countries benefits the U.S.
The money used to help foreign countries is not just thrown away, like you are making it seem, it benefits the other countries, and the U.S. When this money is invested into other countries it helps to stabilize growing economies, which in turn helps to stimulate our own. The second way that it helps benefit the U.S. is through improving foreign relations and gaining future allies. Defence Secretary Robert Gates is quoted saying that "cutting aid jeopardizes US national security, and There is no doubt that foreign assistance helps ward off future military conflicts"(comments)

All Citations will be in the comments since there is no room.
Clayd

Con

I will agree with some of your statements; but you stated that it benefits other countries, ultimately benefiting America. I would disagree. Our main trading partner is China, and we currently owe them a lot more money than we have. We do not support China, from a payment aspect, we buy their goods. However, other countries such as Israel alone, which we annually give them, and surrounding countries $10,000,000,000; are barley significant to the United States. We do not buy, nor sell to them. We simply lend them money for their military, etc. There was a poll conducted, the topic was "Do you support foreign aid?" It was showed to Americans, and 73% of them do NOT support foreign aid. Now that number may mean nothing at all sense 90% of the Americans are un-educated about the matter, that is still a large percentile, regardless.

You may be familiar with the War in Iraq, yes we are currently spending billions there fixing THEIR corrupted government.

1. http://bit.ly...
Kegan

Pro

First off, I would like to respond to your argument of "the U.S. does not benefit", specifically from Israel. Not only does the U.S. have it's main Middle eastern military base IN Israel, and furthermore, Israel is supporting us in our current war on terrorism. To say that we don't benefit them is a flat out lie.

To address your point on China we simply look at your structure. "Our main trading partner is China, and we currently owe them a lot more money than we have. We do not support China, from a payment aspect" I would like to know how exactly we don't support them when we ARE PAYING THEM MONEY FOR OUR DEBTS. Any money given to china IS supporting them.

To affirm this resolution we must look at foreign aid from a practical, and strategical standpoint.

Practical- your argument is cost and taxpayer money, however my contention 1 directly abolishes this claim.

Strategical- You have shown none, whereas I have stated that FA helps us in gaining allies.
Clayd

Con

Clayd forfeited this round.
Kegan

Pro

Clayd Forfeited. POTE VRO!