kasmic
suzyy97

The United States is Ready for a Female President

kasmic

kasmic

Con

I saw a similar debate challenge a few days ago. I thought it would be a interesting short debate.

Clarification: I would not have any personal issue with having a female president. Please do not misunderstand my argument.

Burden of proof shared, simply convince voters of your position.

Pro must argue that the United States is ready for a Female President
Con must argue that the United States is not ready for a Female President

Definitions

Ready is defined as "completely prepared or in fit condition for immediate action or use." (1)

Round 1 is acceptance
Round 2 opening arguments
Round 3 rebuttals and closing statements, no new arguments.

(1)http://dictionary.reference.com...
suzyy97

Pro

I accept!
kasmic

Con

Thank you suzyy97 for accepting this debate. Good luck to you.

Extra clarification: On a personal note I am a self declared feminist, and as I stated in the first round would have no personal issue with having a Female President. This debate is of interest to me as I formally studied Political science in college and gender studies are incredibly relevant to political science and most especially International Relations.

Opening argument:

I understand "Completely Prepared" to mean prepared in every way. I will show that the U.S. while it may be in many specific ways "ready" for a female President, it is not "completely prepared" or in other words not ready in every way for a female president.

What Problems would a Female President pose for the U.S.?

Of the many duties that a President has, the first one listed in the U.S. Constitution is that "The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States." (1) This leads into my first contention

A: Is the U.S Military ready for a female commander and chief?

"On Jan. 24, the Pentagon announced that the ban on women in combat arms Military Occupational Specialties, such as infantry and artillery personnel, scouts, tankers, cavalry and more, will be lifted. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta claims that now all "talented and qualified people [will] be able to serve this country in uniform."(2)

How was this received?

"The reaction from the right wing, like former U.S. Army officer and Arkansas Congressman Tom Cotton, is that women are "biologically unfit for combat;" that they are incapable of performing to the standard of their male counterparts; that it "goes against their nature."(2)

The U.S. Military, whether right or wrong, has shown great resistance to equal treatment of women within their ranks. If the U.S. Military has shown it is less than "ready" to treat women equally, what would make anyone think the U.S. Military would be "ready" for a female commander and chief.

The mistreatment of women in the military

"According to the Department of Defense (DOD), an estimated 19,300 sexual assaults occurred in the military in 2010, and yet only 13.5% of total survivors reported assault. Military sexual violence impacts service men and women in the Active Duty, Reserves and Guard forces, as well as cadets and midshipmen at the U.S. military academies. Victim-blaming, lack of accountability, and misogynistic climates are pervasive throughout the U.S. Armed Forces, preventing survivors from reporting incidents and perpetrators from being properly disciplined."(3)

How can a female commander and chief effectively lead the military when Women by and large are abused, mistreated, not respected, and not equal within this community? Simply put the U.S. Military is not ready for a female commander and chief.

B: Would being female make the President less effective in foreign affairs?

In the field of International Relations, gender is a significant field of study as is evident in this current textbook starting on page 108.(4)

The President of the United States meets with leaders all over the world. Many countries in the world not only would not be receptive to council from a female president, but keep women in general inferior in their countries.(4) How would a female President be able to work effectively with the middle East where many of the leaders of those nations view women as inferior? This would make the President"s ability to lead on a global stage and interact with other nations considerably more difficult. It would make the President less effective in fields that the U.S. is already struggling globally. This is another way in which the United States is not ready for a female President.

The idea that the U.S. is "ready" for a female President is optimistic. It could be argued that the U.S. "should" be ready, however from a practical standpoint the United States is not ready for a female President.

(1)http://www.archives.gov...
(2)http://www.defendwomensrights.org...
(3)http://servicewomen.org...
(4)http://www.ablongman.com...
(5)http://www.onlineuniversities.com...
suzyy97

Pro

I am not a feminist, however I do believe in women's equal rights. I am not as passionate on this topic as it seems you are, so I must forfeit this debate.

ps I think a woman shouldn't be president bc she would make a stupid decision everytime she was on her period.

thx:-)
pss I am a woman too
kasmic

Con

My opponent has forfeited... :(
suzyy97

Pro

suzyy97 forfeited this round.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Another problem I see is that men are inherently protective of females.I know it bothers me to see a girl hurt or killed in a movies. Even if she was a bad guy.I can imagine being on a battle field and seeing the awful things that happens there happen to a girl.It just is something in us that reacts that way.If it hasn't dawned on some peoples lightning fast mind, we are different.And that is not a bad thing, or wasn't till liberalism took holt of America.

And it was those pld liberal women , like Gloria Steinem , that got our young ladies in combat uniform.And they were too old and ugly to go themselves. Sorry for the rant. just popped out.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
I don't think any president of any gender would be as weak as the one we have now. Barbie would make a better president.

And the fella that said that women in combat beat the U.S. military. WHERE. Even in the wars we lost, like Viet Nam, we won every battle. It was the politicians that lost that war. Not the G.I.'s.
Posted by Shield 2 years ago
Shield
I think there was just a lack of understanding by the commenters. As for the pro, you ought not accept debates which you are unsuitable to finish. As for the con, great job and great arguments. ;) Proper etiquette as usual.
Posted by kasmic 2 years ago
kasmic
"How can a female commander and chief effectively lead the military when Women by and large are abused, mistreated, not respected, and not equal within this community? Simply put the U.S. Military is not ready for a female commander and chief?"

That is what my first argument was.... I'm suprised at how that can be misunderstood.
Posted by kasmic 2 years ago
kasmic
Actually I was arguing that due to women not being treated equally in the military, as well as being taken advantage of, that the military is not ready for a female commander and chief. Also I was arguing that a female president may be less effective in the international arena due to other leaders of nations being sexist. Leading to no matter what skills, talents, and experience a women may have, due to the lack of respect she might receive due to being a women, she would potentially be less effective.

Really, it doesn't matter as pro for whatever reason forfeit. Which sucks...
Posted by Domr 2 years ago
Domr
Con is arguing against the US being ready for a woman president.

Con is arguing that because men in military do not want women in combative military positions, this is a sign that the US is not ready. The reason why Military men do not want women in combative positions is because their biological makeup is not the same as mans.

So yes. Con is arguing that the US cannot handle a woman president because she shouldn't be in combat.

The US presidents are ridiculed about as much as any person or group in the US. Therefore, wouldn't a woman already be prepped for the job by overcoming the ridicule they have already faced?

I don't know what female political ridicule In this country has to do with the arguments, as Con was arguing how other countries view women in their culture.

So apparently you are not paying attention to the argument.
Posted by Domr 2 years ago
Domr

Posted by bluemiles 2 years ago
bluemiles
""'Women are unfit for combat' (per some US Military Men)
This, in turn, de-qualifies women for Presidency?""

This is not even close to what Con is saying, and certainly not the "core of the argument".

""Women have the same rights as men in this country, per our Constitution, therefore the US, as a whole, is ready for a female president because our laws allow it.""

While Women do have the same rights the issue is not so simple. Do you really think a Woman running for president at this time would have a real shot at it? Female politicians are constantly ridiculed, marginalized, objectified, and insulted by the mainstream media in this country because of their gender, a lot of people in this country do not take them seriously. Its a complex issue and though progress has been made, simply having equal rights has not fixed it.
Posted by Domr 2 years ago
Domr
So let me understand the "core of the argument"

First,
'Women are unfit for combat' (per some US Military Men)
This, in turn, de-qualifies women for Presidency?
(Side Note: 11 presidents have not served in the military, and 9 others never experienced any Combat in War.)

Second,
Other countries are able to sway our reason for electing a president (male or female) if they look down upon a certain gender?

In my last comment I corrected myself, the debate in its content is not sexist. I don't believe Con is sexist. But the topic of discussion is one of sexism.
Women have the same rights as men in this country, per our Constitution, therefore the US, as a whole, is ready for a female president because our laws allow it.

Any other argument is stating "men are better" at something, than women, which make them a better candidate for presidency. Which is sexist.
Posted by Shield 2 years ago
Shield
Domr: also, the source cited is very viable for Con's argument, because it confirms that those in the military DO hold sexist beliefs, contrary to empirical evidence.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
kasmicsuzyy97Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture