Jifpop09
CoolPeppers12

The United States is a better place then Russia

Jifpop09

Jifpop09

Pro

First round is acceptance. No further clarification should be needed.
CoolPeppers12

Con

First, The United States is a great country to live in. A place to be proud to live because of all the freedom we have.
But when you say "US" is better than Russia, to you mean the American government or the Culture, people, country as a whole?

You were not very clear on that.

However, ignoring their mess-up government, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the country of Russia. When I say country, I say the people, the culture and the art/music. Russia's culture is one of the most fascinating.

There is such a BIG misnomer about Russia now a days.

For example, the 2014 Olympics were held in Shoci, Russia. At first, we were all concerned because we thought it might get terrorized, but thank gosh it wasn't.

Many people didn't like the idea of the Olympics being held in Russia because all they were thinking was about their crummy government, not as a country of significance.

I say this because it upsets me when people start criticizing or hating a country in where I was born.
Jifpop09

Pro

Jifpop09 forfeited this round.
CoolPeppers12

Con

CoolPeppers12 forfeited this round.
Jifpop09

Pro

Lets see, according to oxford, a country means.....

coun·try
G2;kəntrē/
noun
  1. 1.
    a nation with its own government, occupying a particular territory.
    "the country's increasingly precarious economic position"
    synonyms: nation, (sovereign) state, kingdom, realm, territory, province,principality, palatinate, duchy More

Argument 1: You made several concessions admitting the country is bad.

I don't think this needs to be explained. My opponent has put up several clear concessions that the Russian government is bad with less freedoms then the US.
I put this into the politics section, so it should of been clear to him I was talking about the government.

Argument 2: Russia has less freedoms then almost all developed countries.

Lets take a look at the economic freedom index, where they score worst then I believe every other developed nation, and a majority of the third world....

http://www.heritage.org...;

Now, how about a glance at the media freedom index, where the freedom of press is on par with Maoist communism....

https://rsf.org...

And to the corruption index, where Russia ranks critical....

http://cpi.transparency.org...

Argument 3: The US recieves more travel revenue then Russia.

He brought this argument into play, so I'll defend it. America is the second largest tourism nation after France. We make 68 billion on tax receipts from tourism. Russia does quite terrible in comparison.

http://data.worldbank.org...
CoolPeppers12

Con

Okay, fine. The USA does have a better government than America's. However, even though the people of Russia have limited rights, the People and the culture of Russia is not less worthy than America's. Russia has one of the most interesting cultures and history in the world. Or at least to me it is.

I'll make a chart for you to make it more easy to understand.

America | Russia
Gov't: Good Not as good
People: Great Great
Culture: Great Great
History: Fascinating Fascinating
Economy: Good Not as good
Food Great variety. Amazing

That should sum it up for you.
Posted by JohnF.Kennedy 1 month ago
JohnF.Kennedy
I don't think political freedom defines the quality of a nation
Posted by Charliemouse 2 years ago
Charliemouse
in response to the last round, the freedom USA gives to its people is not necessarily a good thing. the important things, such as possession of arms and human rights have been all but forgotten and things like gay rights have come into play which is completely unnecessary. Obama care is another thing. if you took the book of taxes to a court of law, all of America's financial crisis would disappear within 10 minutes. you guys are paying waaay too much tax for things that you shouldn't be paying tax for at all. Russia's economy is good enough, whereas America hides its critical state behind welfare and GST. USA relies entirely on other countries for absolutely everything except protection whereas Russia is able to outsmart and conquer anything. unlike usa which starts illegal wars for unjustified reasons. as much as I hate the president of Russia it is quite clear that he is a very strong politician who knows what he's doing, unlike Obama. sorry dude but your argument appears to be invalid
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
Lol, last round made me laugh. This is a debate and not an opinion. Nothing you said can be proven, but its also not true.
Posted by CoolPeppers12 2 years ago
CoolPeppers12
Hi Charliemouse, yes! Very true.

I
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
"Sponsored by RT. Were totally not in Putin's back pocket"
Posted by Charliemouse 2 years ago
Charliemouse
hey CoolPeppers, I have to agree with you completely. your reply was so good that i'm not even going to quote it, and as I am a Ukrainian and am fully aware of current events I have to say I am very impressed with Russia as a community, and support you fully on the govt side of your argument too. the people have given us immense support which is greatly appreciated, even though the president is a stubborn goat the people have been great to us. particularly In Moscow with the apology parades and the protesting, risking their freedom for us. and come to think of it, if America was to invade Mexico for example I seriously doubt that any Americans would care. and the Russian government is no better than tat of USA so, I think i've made my point
Vote Placed by Romanii 2 years ago
Romanii
Jifpop09CoolPeppers12Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con conceded that USA's government was better, and his only defense after that was that Russia's culture and people are "just as good" as USA which really doesn't change the fact that the Russian government is oppressive....