bthr004
Wierdkp326

The United States is in fact, the greatest nation in the world.

bthr004

Pro

The United States of America, rich in natural beauty, history of incredible overcomings, and freedoms given to individual citizens of this great nation are just the tip of the scale as to what makes up the bulk of truths proving the United States is the greatest nation.

I hope to touch on several facts, facts the prove my point that the United States is the greatest nation in the world.

-Industry
-Technology
-Military
-Agriculture
-Entertainment
-Culture
-Sports
-Education

These are just a few talking points that I will address, giving specifics to each point and providing valid resources facts, and figures, proving my case.

The United States, one of the youngest nations in the world, has risen to top quickly and remains the greatest nation in the world.

Thank you and good luck to whom ever takes this debate.
Wierdkp326

Con

Though I do not intend to argue that America sucks, it must be addressed that America is by no means the "greatest" nation in the world. Rather, it is a country that is comparable to other developed nations.Indeed, America is a wonderful country to live in for the very fact that one has a great deal of control over their future here, but it has many problems. America is a nation containing the greatest rich-poor disparity ratio, for a developed country, (otherwise known as Gini Coefficient) which could imply a fantastic diversity amongst it's citizens.

Using my opponent's guidelines for addressing points to measure America's success, I shall start with industry and technology. America is not the overwhelming champion in either of these categories. America has exported many simple and medium complicated industries to other countries, leaving mostly service and high input industries behind. Now, some may feel this is a good thing, but by sending industries abroad, our country has now eliminated the potential for innovation in them because we no longer deal with them. Those innovations are left to other countries, meaning we have set the stages for training our competitors.
Speaking more of industry, America's steel industry has only recently become competitive in the world because of the declining value of our dollar. America's financial industries have job suffered a severe contraction from fraud and under-regulation. America even sends our complicated production to other countries for assembly, creating more ways for our country to lose our competitive edge.

Let's talk technology, Yes, America created the internet. Without that innovation, debating you today would not have been possible. Also, access to porno has gotten a lot easier. So, America isn't all bad. But let's talk tech that America was and still is not the leader in. The cell phone is a technology holding some origins in Bell labs in America, but the first devices were produced in Sweden by Ericson. Today, Nokia, a company whose headquarters is in Finland, dominates the market. Worse, the technological infrastructure for cell phones in America is surpassed by nearly every developed country. Because of the size and population densities of the country, America is slow to diffuse these technologies.
In cars, America's industry rests on Ford and GM. Their failure to innovate against foreign producers is the reason why both companies are in jeopardy of a potential chapter 11 filing. This reason was precisely why the UAW chose to accept a health care fund payout of less than 70% of the desired coverage for their workers. In the end, cars produced by foreign firms are chosen for having better gas mileage, less required maintenance and lower prices.
In investment in alternative technologies, the US has failed in it's mission to move away from coal for cleaner technologies such as nuclear, solar, or wind power. All of these technologies could save lives by reducing the smog and other pollutants from citizens in the surrounding areas, but America has been slow to respond. Japan is beating us in solar investment, and France is all nuclear. America is a step behind in many areas.

The only technology that America truly surpasses other countries in is medicine and agricultural productivity. America generates nearly 3/4 of all the revenues spent on research and development in pharmaceuticals primarily because we are the only country that is willing to pay for it. Most other developed nations chose to nationalize their medicine, which placed price caps on the drugs distributed. This forced pharmaceuticals to pass the costs on to the only remaining country who were willing to pay for it (god bless America). That is why Americans pay more for the same medicine than any other country, and it contributes to the pharmaceutical price increases of over 10% a year for the past 20 years.
In agricultural productivity, however, it's a much better story, since the Morrill act of 1862, America has invested public funding to research in agricultural productivity and we have received the highest productivity boosts in agricultural of any country since. In this very instance, yes, America is totally the best in agriculture!
bthr004

Pro

There is surely no reluctance among proponents to argue that one that has the most, wins the most, is the most popular in terms of ever increasing amount of patrons, is the largest or among the largest, is of the most quality, gives the most, produces the most, is the richest, the strongest, the fastest, etc etc,.. and conquers all such things the largest majority of the time, IS and should be considered the greatest.

Though several people argue that "greatness" is subjective, or of personal opinion,.. "greatness" can and is proven all the time.

Greatness, or great, can be used and proven. You couldn't surely argue that 10 is not a greater number than 8, for 8 is a lesser number than 10,.. even in golf, although it is greater to ones chance at winning in golf if one has a score of 8 rather then 10,.. this, however, does not change the fact that 10 is greater than 8.

I am simply going state all of the particular characteristics or sytems that all nations hold, and state evidence that displays how the USA is greater when compared to all other nations in the same characteristic or system the larger majority of the time,.. making it in fact greater.

I will for the most part use the European Union statistics rather than each individual nation unless to otherwise prove more points.

Now to take on my opponents points,..

"industry and technology. America is not the overwhelming champion in either of these categories. America has exported many simple and medium complicated industries to other countries, leaving mostly service and high input industries behind. Now, some may feel this is a good thing, but by sending industries abroad, our country has now eliminated the potential for innovation in them because we no longer deal with them. Those innovations are left to other countries, meaning we have set the stages for training our competitors.
Speaking more of industry, America's steel industry has only recently become competitive in the world because of the declining value of our dollar. America's financial industries have job suffered a severe contraction from fraud and under-regulation. America even sends our complicated production to other countries for assembly, creating more ways for our country to lose our competitive edge."

I will simply give of the real statistics, contradicting my opponents above paragraph,...

The world's largest Automobile Company GM
The world's largest Software Co. Microsoft
The world's largest search engine Google
The world's largest Oil company Exxon
The world's largest Airospace Co Boeing
The world's largest retailer Walmart
The world's largest Computer maker HP
The world's largest IT Company IBM
The world's largest Bank Citibank
The world's largest Sport Co NIKE
The world's largest Electric co GE

... this is just to name a few of American owned and operated companies that have certainly NOT lost "competitve edge."

The world's largest Bank CitiBank
The world's largest Investment Bank GoldmanSachs
The world's largest Insurance Co. AIG
The world's largest Aircraft Leasing Co. ILFC
The world's largest Accounting firm PwC
The world's largest Credit Card Co. VISA
(99% of Europeans use USA credit card companies,..hmm.)
The world's largest Stock Exchange NYSE
The world's largest Central Bank The Fed
The world's largest money transfer Co Western Union

... American owned and operated financial institutes seemingly unwaivered from " fraud and under regulation."

One can point several recent economic struggles and tell of the woes the USA is facing,.. however, as the lists above show, even in economic hurts the USA still ranks at the top or is the top of most lists.

"The cell phone is a technology holding some origins in Bell labs in America, but the first devices were produced in Sweden by Ericson. Today, Nokia, a company whose headquarters is in Finland, dominates the market. Worse, the technological infrastructure for cell phones in America is surpassed by nearly every developed country. Because of the size and population densities of the country, America is slow to diffuse these technologies. "

10 Largest Cellular Service Providers in the world

1.NTT (Jap)
Verizon Communications(USA)
AT&T Inc.(USA)
Deutsche Telekom
Telefonica
France Telecom
Vodafone Group
NTT DoCoMo
Sprint Nextel Corporation(USA)
Telecom Italia

USA wireless companies make the top 10 list 3x's as often as any other country.

I think its also important to state Americas greatness can be derived for the simple fact that ALL OUT OF SPACE SATELITES ARE USA OWNED AND OPERATED. This means SO MUCH of the rest of the worlds "tech," such as GPS , and all other sattelite operations require the USA and its' technologies. Beautiful USA and its' REAL technological leadership, from space travel, computers, weaponry, finance, agricluture, medicine, education, etc.

"In investment in alternative technologies, the US has failed in it's mission to move away from coal for cleaner technologies such as nuclear, solar, or wind power. All of these technologies could save lives by reducing the smog and other pollutants from citizens in the surrounding areas, but America has been slow to respond. Japan is beating us in solar investment, and France is all nuclear. America is a step behind in many areas."

FACT,
USA is the largest corn and soybean producer and currently the largest producer of corn/soy ethanol fuel.

USA is home to the largest wind turbine farms in the world,(largest is Horse Hollow in Texas)

USA is home to the largest Solar panel producing plant in the world and has been since the early 1980's,..(one step behind you say?)

USA is home to the largest Geo thermal power field.

Because the USA is home to 1/4th of the worlds coal supply it is no surprise that the USA still uses much coal in producing electricity. It will not be long before current investments in alternative energy sources pay bigger dividends.

In closing,.. because I no longer wish to continue, though I could,.. I will just say to your "shrinking dollar value" premise,.. though short term and need not effect passed or present greatness status of the USA,.. still shows little significance considering the USA has the largest per capita GDP in the world,.. and we pay the lowest of any developed nation for commodities,.. including fuel, which only increases the quality of life in the USA. The USA is greater in several other areas as well, for instance to name a few,.. most NOBEL peace prize recipients, most Gold medal wins in the Olympics, most millionares, etc. The USA has the smallest un enemployment rates and almost half as many unemployed as the European Union. The USA leads the world in science and technology reseach papers and influence factors. The USA has a litteracy rate at 99% ranking it of the highest educated in the world. ETC..ETC.ETC,...ETC... ON and ON,.. USA is the greatest!

Sources,..
www.cia.gov
www.agweb.com
www.merriam-webster.com
www.euro-stat.eu
Wierdkp326

Con

Wierdkp326 forfeited this round.
bthr004

Pro

I extend all of my arguments, as I have nothing to new to debate.

The self locking tape measure could possibly the greatest American invention ever. Above electricity, automobiles, soil tills, tractors, aviation, computers, telephone, baseball, basketball, football, internet, bi focal glasses, refrigerator, coffee pot, grain harvester machine, oil well, toilet paper, blue jeans, light bulb, telephone, assembly line, zipper, air conditioning, tea bags, band aid, masking tape, bread slicer, bubble gum, frozen food, chocolate chip cookies, photo copier, defibilator, aersol spray can, microwave, cell phone, disposable diaper, polio vaccine, optical fiber, calculator, space shuttle, cervical cancer vaccine, JUST TO NAME A FEW!!

Oh,.. and great food. I mean real food, not fast food junk. I mean smoked pork chops, BBQ ribs, juicy sirloins from a well marbled american raised corn fed beef!!! Garlic mashed potatos side of brown gravy, buttered toast, buttered and peppered sweet corn on the cob, cole slaw, cold coco cola with just a shot of southern comfort whiskey, and a slice of apple pie under a scoop of vannila ice cream!!!
Wierdkp326

Con

Wierdkp326 forfeited this round.
Posted by XimenBao 6 years ago
XimenBao
Wow, I didn't mean to zombie this one. I got linked to it and didn't check the date.
Posted by XimenBao 6 years ago
XimenBao
I'm not voting on this because while Con forfeited all but R1, he had an organized framework with a metric for voting and relevant factual support. Pro had a disorganized list of selected pro-US stats, and that was it, but he didn't forfeit. If Con had just posted "extend" in the subsequent rounds, I'd vote for him, but I can't justify it with the forfeit.
Posted by Im_always_right 9 years ago
Im_always_right
I know how you feel. That and he probably has friends helping him.
Posted by bthr004 9 years ago
bthr004
my opponent forfeited half of the debate, and yet will still win! I have proven my point yet again that votes are based mostly on the voters opinion of the topic!
Posted by Wierdkp326 9 years ago
Wierdkp326
Wow, I cant believe I went 3 days and forgot to respond. Sorry all
Posted by Rezzealaux 9 years ago
Rezzealaux
"Holy god!!!! Just please try to prove me wrong on just ONE point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Mean we can all juist make up stuff that feels good,... but just name ONE REAL FACT!!!!"

I did.

BBC says Toyota is the #1 automobile company and GM isn't. Unlike YOU, who have BSed EVERY statistic so far and provided NO CITATIONS WHATSOEVER, I actually gave one.

Thanks for playing.
Posted by bthr004 9 years ago
bthr004
Name a plant that haas closed oh knowledgable one,.. please just name one,... And 16% as in global sales,... ALL OF TOYOTA SALES,... 16% OF ITS GLOBAL SALES ARE USA SALES!!!!!!! AS IN IF NOT FOR THE USA THEY WOULD lose 16% OF ITS TOTALS GLOBAL SALES!!!!!!! which, minus 16% would knock them from the top 10!

Holy god!!!! Just please try to prove me wrong on just ONE point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Mean we can all juist make up stuff that feels good,... but just name ONE REAL FACT!!!!
Posted by Rezzealaux 9 years ago
Rezzealaux
"16% of Toyota sales come from the USA,... not sure where the humor is,... that means, Toyota would barely break the top ten list if it weren't for the USA,.."

That line of logic would mean that every country where Toyota sells its cars would be the greatest country in the world.

"Indiana, Texas, Mississippi, W. Virginia, Alabama, Kentucky,California.... 11 models of Toyota, and Lexus are built in the U.S. out of U.S. manufactured parts from U.S. companies,.. www.toyota.com"

That line of logic would mean that every country where Toyota makes its cars would be the greatest country in the world.

"GM is capable of building better designed, quality, and safer cars/trucks, etc."

Not according to Consumer Reports.

"A strategy that GM is notorius for using even in the American domestic market."

Ah yes, they're also making huge profits by closing down their manufacturing plants...
Posted by bthr004 9 years ago
bthr004
16% of Toyota sales come from the USA,... not sure where the humor is,... that means, Toyota would barely break the top ten list if it weren't for the USA,..

Plus, lets not forget where most of the Toyotas in the world are manufactured,.. I will list them as so you will not get confused.

Indiana, Texas, Mississippi, W. Virginia, Alabama, Kentucky,California.... 11 models of Toyota, and Lexus are built in the U.S. out of U.S. manufactured parts from U.S. companies,.. www.toyota.com

GM has been in the automobile manufactureing business for 100 years, so there's no excuse why they still are not No. 1 in World Sales volume. GM is capable of building better designed, quality, and safer cars/trucks, etc. at a competetive cost to any major world producer like Toyota, but I think thay are letting the Japanaese auto producers drive up the prices so they can be more profitable in the long run. A strategy that GM is notorius for using even in the American domestic market.
Posted by Rezzealaux 9 years ago
Rezzealaux
I would respond with something more intricate, but I'm laughing too hard.
Vote Placed by pitz004 7 years ago
pitz004
bthr004Wierdkp326Tied
Vote Placed by solo 8 years ago
solo
bthr004Wierdkp326Tied
Vote Placed by bthr004 8 years ago
bthr004
bthr004Wierdkp326Tied
Vote Placed by CommonSenseAmerican 9 years ago
CommonSenseAmerican
bthr004Wierdkp326Tied
Vote Placed by lorca 9 years ago
lorca
bthr004Wierdkp326Tied
Vote Placed by Freemind 9 years ago
Freemind
bthr004Wierdkp326Tied
Vote Placed by Candunn 9 years ago
Candunn
bthr004Wierdkp326Tied
Vote Placed by sanya_bhutani 9 years ago
sanya_bhutani
bthr004Wierdkp326Tied
Vote Placed by msoshima54 9 years ago
msoshima54
bthr004Wierdkp326Tied
Vote Placed by josh_42 9 years ago
josh_42
bthr004Wierdkp326Tied