Grandbudda
LukeJamesRurans

The United States is not a democracy but a republic.

Grandbudda

Pro

The debate will be five rounds as follows:
Round 1 - Acceptance
Round 2 - Opening argument
Round 3 - Rebuttal/Counter claims
Round 4 - Cross examination/New arguments
Round 5 - Conclusion

My opponent must argue that even though there is similarity between the two terms we are more of a true democracy. In doing so they are the CON position.
I will argue that in spite of the similarity we are a true republic more than a simple democracy.

So as I begin I put it to you that the United States was founded as a republic and as such is superior than a simple democracy.
LukeJamesRurans

Con

Democracy is a broad term, democracy is the fair representation of the ideas and wishes I the people, either directly represented in a council or by electing leader and member of their local group. For instance not all democracies are republics, such as the constitutional monarchy of the United Kingdom of Great Britian and Northern Ireland, neither are all republics democracies, such as the Democratic Republic of North Korea or the former United Soviet Socialist Republics, which are/were firmly Communist and dictatorships, a country or Nation led by one leader who has the right to make laws without having to pass it through any other cdemocratic system e.g. A congress or parliament.

The definition of Republic is a Nation led by a President, which many countries, democracies or not. The term President it's self is a loose term as it can represent any leader who is not Monarch, the Furer of Germany, was technically a president with the rights of the chancellery directly controlled by him.

By looking at the USA, which is foreign country to me as I'm from the UK so forgive me if my overall knowledge is a bit sketchy as I'm studying my A-Levels at this moment in time. But it seems to be a Democratic Republic that elects it's president by seperate states voting for a representative to be president. This seems to be a fair and working democracy, I this system I democracy works is a different argument but it is democracy.
Grandbudda

Pro

Of course the United States is a democracy, but first and foremost it's a republic. So what is the difference? Well let's dig in and look at Republic vs. Democracy. The classic test is that a republic is run by Rule of Law vs. a democracy which is run by Rule of the Majority.

Just after the signing of the Constitution, in reply to a woman's inquiry as to the type of government the Founders had created, Benjamin Franklin said, "A Republic, if you can keep it." Not only have we failed to keep it, most don't even know what it is. A Republic is representative government ruled by law (the Constitution). A democracy is direct government ruled by the majority (mob rule). A Republic recognizes the inalienable rights of individuals while democracies are only concerned with group wants or needs (the public good).

Lawmaking is a slow, deliberate process in our Constitutional Republic requiring approval from the House, Senate, Executive supervised by The Supreme Court. In a simple democracy, referendums allow legislators to blame bad law on the people. A good example of democracy in action is a lynch mob.
Democracies always self-destruct when the non-productive majority realizes that it can vote itself handouts from the productive minority by electing the candidate promising the most benefits from the public treasury. To maintain their power, these candidates must adopt an ever-increasing tax and spend policy to satisfy the ever-increasing desires of the majority. As taxes increase, incentive to produce decreases, causing many of the once productive to drop out and join the non-productive. When there are no longer enough producers to fund the legitimate functions of government and the socialist programs, the democracy will collapse, always to be followed by a Dictatorship.

Even though nearly every politician, teacher, journalist and citizen believes that our Founders created a democracy, it is absolutely not true. The Founders knew full well the differences between a Republic and a Democracy. They repeatedly and emphatically said that they had founded a Republic. Article IV Section 4, of the Constitution "guarantees to every state in this union a Republican form of government".... Conversely, the word Democracy is not mentioned even once in the Constitution. Madison warned us of the dangers of democracies with these words:
"Democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths..."

Below are two quotes regarding our republic from James Madison and Henry David Thoreau:
"We may define a republic to be ... a government which derives all its powers directly or indirectly from the great body of the people, and is administered by persons holding their offices during pleasure for a limited period, or during good behavior. It is essential to such a government that it be derived from the great body of the society, not from an inconsiderable proportion or a favored class of it; otherwise a handful of tyrannical nobles, exercising their oppressions by a delegation of their powers, might aspire to the rank of republicans and claim for their government the honorable title of republic." James Madison, Federalist No. 10, (1787)

"A wise man will not leave the right to the mercy of chance, nor wish it to prevail through the power of the majority. There is but little virtue in the action of masses of men."
Henry David Thoreau

Below are the distinctions drawn between a democracy and a republic.

DEMOCRACY:
A government of the masses.
Authority derived through mass meeting or other form of "direct" expression.
Results in mobocracy.
Attitude toward property is communistic--negating property rights.
Attitude toward law is that the will of the majority shall regulate, whether based upon deliberation or governed by passion, prejudice, and impulse, without restraint or regard to consequences.
Results in demogogism, license, agitation, discontent, anarchy.

REPUBLIC:
Authority is derived through the election by the people of public officials best fitted to represent them.
Attitude toward law is the administration of justice in accord with fixed principles and established evidence, with a strict regard to consequences.
A greater number of citizens and extent of territory may be brought within its compass.
Avoids the dangerous extreme of either tyranny or mobocracy.
Results in statesmanship, liberty, reason, justice, contentment, and progress.
LukeJamesRurans

Con

LukeJamesRurans forfeited this round.
Grandbudda

Pro

It's hard to argue against an empty chair but I guess I will just stand by my previous argument on the issue.
LukeJamesRurans

Con

LukeJamesRurans forfeited this round.
Grandbudda

Pro

My opponent wanted to do five rounds. Does anyone see him... I forgot what I was going to say.
LukeJamesRurans

Con

LukeJamesRurans forfeited this round.
Grandbudda

Pro

I would just restate the fact that the United States is a constitutional republic and isn't a simple majority.
LukeJamesRurans

Con

LukeJamesRurans forfeited this round.
Posted by NovaLux 3 years ago
NovaLux
I have a feeling this debate is going to turn into one over semantics. As far as I know, a republic = a country which is governed by elected representatives and democracy = Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives. The key difference being elected representatives.
However, I am well aware of the rule of law v. mob rule, and that is a very interesting debate in of itself.