JohnnyC
DeVanteRThompson

The United States is not the greatest country in the world.

JohnnyC

Pro

Many Americans still seem to believe that the United States of America is the greatest nation in the world. Nevertheless, it appears apparent to many Europeans and other people in the developed world that the USA's magnificence is a lie. Americans think that they live in the greatest country in the world because they are told that they do. Objective facts would argue otherwise. "Great" is described as "wonderful; first-rate; very good." On the assumption that my opponent in this debate is a patriot, I should mention that although "Patriotism" is defined as "devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty", it seems to me to be both illogical and irrational. This is because patriotism is when someone assumes their country to be better than all others simply because they were born in it. Seeing as many Americans call themselves "patriots", could it be possible that they are basing their country's greatness on the fact that it is where they live.

Many laws and political policies in the United States, such as the Second Amendment and the lack of good healthcare, is looked down upon by other developed countries. I will stick with one of these examples: the Second Amendment allows almost any American citizen to carry a gun and kill whomever they please. The USA has the highest murder count in the developed world. People accuse video games and violent movies rather than guns because it inspires hatred. In Japan people play these video games and watch the same films (the same goes for the UK, France, Canada, Germany etc.) but the murder rate there is less than 10% of what it is in the USA. I could go on to talk about why firearms should be banned. Just one more thing about it: because of the way in which the Amendment is written, an American citizen is in fact entitled by it to own any arms including something like a weapon of mass destruction.

I was recently talking to an American patriot who claimed that he lived in the greatest country in the world because of its "freedom." After searching about America's "freedom", I found that there are 46 countries with better freedom of the press than the USA, there are 9 countries with greater economic freedom, there are 21 countries better than the USA in freedom from corruption etc. The idea of Civil Rights is fairly new in the United States.

I would go on with reasons why the USA is not the greatest country in the world but I might bring up my new arguments i later rounds.

http://en.rsf.org...
http://www.heritage.org...
DeVanteRThompson

Con

The united states is most definitely the greatest country in the world because we have all the good electronics and many other goods. Even though we get most of the things from china. We have one of the best militaries in the world, and our troops have conquered many nations.
JohnnyC

Pro

Let me assure you that not only do other countries have electronic devices, most of these devices were invented outside of the USA. The USA consumes 26% of the world's energy. This may appear to be a good thing but it does verge on gluttony as it impoverishes other people in other countries.

The US military is known to be one of the least humanitarian in the world - more so than some military dictatorship regimes. An example of this was how many civilians of Iraq complained that the US treated them worse than Suddam Hussein. If having a large amount of men who are ready to kill constitutes to a country being "great" then we have two different ideas of what it means. Conquering many nations is nothing to be proud of unless, of course, you are an imperialist. But what countries have the US conquered? Vietnam failed horribly for them. They couldn't invade Cuba. They had to pull out of Iraq. The Cold War didn't end in them gaining anything. The only overseas place that the US have got (other than Hawaii) is Guantanamo Bay where you torture people who may even be innocent. In fact, the United States intervene in foreign happenings when other countries don't want it and they mess the whole thing up.
DeVanteRThompson

Con

DeVanteRThompson forfeited this round.
JohnnyC

Pro

Con was not online in the period of time that they had to respond so they had to forfeit the round. It is a shame that this did not turn out to be the debate that I was hoping for.
DeVanteRThompson

Con

DeVanteRThompson forfeited this round.