prshanna
ABNYU

The United States needs to reform its current education by abolishing the No Child Left Behind Act.

prshanna

Pro

The United States is in a abysmal decay in it's educational system. Growing superpowers are focusing on their educational systems and we are not. China has more Honors Students than the United States has total students. To complete in a global economy and to give future Americans, America must drastically change it's educational system. The internet will cause jobs to be competed for all over the world, and for America to stay a super power it must be able to supply people into the working world. To not do so is to cause our country to have a few rich, and many poor. We must have better incentive programs for everyone to do well in school, but also abolish the No Child Left Behind Act so that the minority of students who are truly ingenius will not be hindered by those who are not.

Be it resolved, that to compete in a global economy and remain a super power, the United States must reform its educational system and abolish the No Child Left Behind Act.
ABNYU

Con

First and foremost, there is no International standard for honor students. The fact that "China has more Honors Students than the United States has total students" is something that holds very little ground. Even at the point where they do have an International standard, let's not forget that China has 1,000,000,000 more people living in it than the U.S. What I mean by this is that there is no reason why China shouldn't have more "honors students" than the United States.

Second, I will critique your assertion that the United States must be a super power. You say that America must stay a super power to compete in the global economy. I will critique this assumption in detail if you wish to make this the debate. I wouldn't suggest it.

Third, I believe that the NCLB is good in principle and the only problem that it may have is enforcement. Unless you want to debate that, I will stand by the NCLB as being a completely credible and effective system that advocates that EVERYONE in America becomes a leader...not just a few that it is easy for. The United States MUST make an effort to educate as many world leaders as possible instead of just focusing on the ones that it will be easy for. This turns your argument about the world needing to be a super power.

Fourth, I do not believe that anyone is held back by NCLB. The fact that this is being debated promotes education and I believe that this will outweigh any adverse effects of the program and that will be the point where I win this argument.
prshanna

Pro

prshanna forfeited this round.
ABNYU

Con

Well...I guess I'll go on the offensive for a bit.

Here's one thing to ponder...
What happens when the children of America ARE left behind?
You say that a few succeed...which I will agree is true.

However, you are still left with millions of young Americans that do not know what to do with the things that the "successful" are able to provide.

Given the fact that the NCLB does not put a cap on success...I would say that you cannot just get rid of it.

If you want to talk about regulating the NCLB or changing something about it...lets debate that.

Getting rid of the NCLB would have very bad consequences.

LOOK HERE FOR A REASON TO VOTE:
psrshanna has not given anyone a valid reason to change the status quo. Given the fact that they would like to make a change, they inherit a burden of proof in this debate. However, they have not given you anything to show that the NCLB causes bad things to happen.

I have even gone far enough to say that if the NCLB is gone...bad things will happen. Anyone that complains about this needs to show evidence to win this debate. Like I said in the comment box. If there is no evidence, i.e. bill text, studies, etc., there is no correlation between extra boring HW and the NCLB. GIVE ME A SITUATION...anything...I can prove that the NCLB does not cause the problem.

Once again...the NCLB actually promotes higher learning...if you need text...I'll put it up in round 3.

That's all there is to it.
prshanna

Pro

prshanna forfeited this round.
ABNYU

Con

Well, if you don't want to vote for me at this point...I will give you this...

Topic of the debate: The United States needs to reform its current education by abolishing the No Child Left Behind Act.

prshanna wants to ABOLISH it.

How about this, I have already admitted that the NCLB may have problems in areas of enforcement. However, I will stand by the fact that we cannot abolish the NCLB. You can read my earlier arguments for that.

IF YOU STILL DON'T LIKE THE NCLB:
How about we just change it up. Look to the problems and make the easy fixes.
Many politicians already thinks this is a good idea.
However, Congress isn't doing anything about it. Whether it be a big deal or not, if you don't like the NCLB...don't ABOLISH it.
Just reform it.
http://washingtontimes.com...

I think at worst...I win on the technicality of the fact that we can't ABOLISH it...or maybe the fact that prshanna didn't respond.

Thanks.
Posted by FunkeeMonk91 9 years ago
FunkeeMonk91
Don't agree with him at all, but ABNYU took prshanna for a ride.
Posted by ABNYU 9 years ago
ABNYU
Hey Mdal,
Thanks, I appreciate that.

Cherrychocolate, I will get to your arguments in a bit.
Posted by Mdal 9 years ago
Mdal
ABNYU,
I disagree on different reasons than what has been proposed so far in the debate, but I just wanted to take a moment and let you know that even though I am personally at odds with your stance on this issue, you have clearly won this debate as it stands. Also your debate style is fun to read, so keep up the good stuff.
Posted by cherrychocolate 9 years ago
cherrychocolate
NCLB demands standardized tests and that any schools whose students don't reach a certain threshold on the tests be shut down and restructured. Which in theory is excellent - let's make sure our kids are learning their stuff, and any schools where that isn't happening oughta be closed and fixed up.

But what it promotes is "teaching to the test," a system in which the student memorizes massive amounts of information without actually internalizing any of it, and of course forget all of it immediately since they never actually cared about learning it and never really understood it; they were just warned by their school that they better pass that test or else.

It also leads to situations like in California, where over 1,000 of 9,500 schools face sanctions by 2014 (for more information http://www.nytimes.com...)

There is also the notion that schools failing to meet requirements for adequately trained teachers and appropriate testing systems should be fined, or lose federal money, which just seems silly. Find some way to punish them, but shouldn't those states possibly have their education budgets examined and perhaps expanded? For a New York Times article on that, http://www.nytimes.com...
Posted by ABNYU 9 years ago
ABNYU
Hey Korezaan,

I'm guessing that it would be tough to get your vote at this point, but your argument would be much stronger if you could show how the NCLB directly causes an increase in repetitive homework assignments.

Maybe you aren't taking the right classes. AP?
If you aren't taking any Advanced Placement courses, then that is probably what is diminishing your creativity. However, that is still not the NCLB's fault. The NCLB actually promotes AP classes and pays schools to have them. There is no limit.
If your school has bad AP classes or none at all…that is in no way the NCLB's fault…all it does is promote them.

With that aside, if you can prove with some studies or actual bill text that the NCLB actually causes your "problems" then you would be closer to a good argument. Until then, it just sounds like you are complaining because you have too much homework.
Posted by Korezaan 9 years ago
Korezaan
"Fourth, I do not believe that anyone is held back by NCLB. The fact that this is being debated promotes education and I believe that this will outweigh any adverse effects of the program and that will be the point where I win this argument."

"I do not believe that anyone is held back by NCLB."

Hello! :D

I think the NCLB is stupid. All these tests and repetitive homework assignments are boring the hell out of me. Right now, there are ideas such as "Don't let schooling get in the way of your education". True, if your argument is based entirely on test scores, then I'm not being held back at all.

But the NCLB act is severly f***ing around with my imagination, creativity, and desire to learn.

Cause math and chemistry get boring if you need to do 50 problems to get one freakin concept down.
Posted by Korezaan 9 years ago
Korezaan
Do you participate in NFL structured debate?
Posted by nrw 9 years ago
nrw
i love this topic

im not going to take the con because its pretty hard to win, and i disagree

i cant wait to read the arguments on this one
Vote Placed by U.n 11 months ago
U.n
prshannaABNYUTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeited turns.
Vote Placed by Mdal 8 years ago
Mdal
prshannaABNYUTied
Vote Placed by lacanrox 8 years ago
lacanrox
prshannaABNYUTied
Vote Placed by Vols21 9 years ago
Vols21
prshannaABNYUTied
Vote Placed by vtotheron 9 years ago
vtotheron
prshannaABNYUTied
Vote Placed by Murphy_is_Law 9 years ago
Murphy_is_Law
prshannaABNYUTied
Vote Placed by polishgirlinar 9 years ago
polishgirlinar
prshannaABNYUTied
Vote Placed by RepublicanView333 9 years ago
RepublicanView333
prshannaABNYUTied
Vote Placed by jazz123 9 years ago
jazz123
prshannaABNYUTied
Vote Placed by aaltobartok 9 years ago
aaltobartok
prshannaABNYUTied