hattopic
iamsano

The United States of America is the greatest country in the world.

Con Tied Pro

hattopic

Con

Over the past several years I've been told by numerous people that the US is the greatest country in the world. However, I've never heard why. I don't know what's so great about us, but maybe you do.

(Greatest - Highest in quality; Superior to others;)
iamsano

Pro

hello hattopic

Yes i would like to have this debate with you. i have also heard that America is the greatest country in the world and i really agree with that statement.
America is great in so many ways but i am just gonna focus on some and hope to have a good debate with you alright.
America has a country has welcomed people from all over the world for instance.
we have all kinds of people there with the american citizenship and they all contribute to the country. America for instance gives more fiancial aid to the United Nations. Its money is being use worldwide in business and that means a lot. Its economy is good and is formed of fifty states and all these are amazing. Is there any country in the world with these characteristics??? i dont think so.
I will tell you more in my 1st argument... hope to hear from you.
Thanks
hattopic

Con

It appears from your opening statement that America's greatness (among other things) stems from it's diversity, charity, and economy.

First off, diversity:

America is not the only country in the world that accepts people as citizens. And it's certainly not the best at doing it. Application for citizenship for the US can take years, and even if you're accepted into the country (not as an citizen but as an immigrant) you have to wait years more to attain the status of "US citizen".

And, America is not a particularly accepting nation. Take for example, the citizen with Middle Eastern heritage. In recent years our government, has racially profiled these people, restricting their rights, and treating them like second class citizens. That's not the behavior of an accepting nation.

Charity:

You claim that:

"America for instance gives more fiancial aid to the United Nations."

Ignoring the fact that you don't actually say who we give more than (I'm assuming you mean out of all the countries that contribute to the UN, the US gives tme most), your assertion is completely false. The UN receives financing from it's members based on their GDP. The US does not have the largest GDP in the world. Also, the US is overdue on their payments to the UN. To date we owe the UN over 1.2 billion dollars. The US has consistently ignored the UN, most notably with the invasion of Iraq in 2003. The US government does not donate more money to charitable organizations than any other country.

Economy:

The United States economy isn't "Great". Right now we have a national debt of over 1 trillion dollars. Our economy is in a recession. The housing market is in a terrible state. Our economy is certainly not the best in the world.

Your last argument was something like "we have 50 states". True, no other country in the world has 50 states. However I can't see how this pertains to America being great.

The areas you've listed thus far are areas where America is not number 1. To successfully argue the point you have to prove 2 things:

A) An area where America is greatest (actually more than one area)
B) That this area(s) outweighs all the things that we're not number 1 in.

Right now I'll point out that:

1)America is not the most developed country in the world.
2)America is not the most technologically advanced nation in the world.
3)America does not have the largest, or the best military in the world.
4)America's education system is not the best in the world.
5)America's health care system is not the best in the world.
6)America's government is not the best in the world.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
iamsano

Pro

Thanks for your reply and yeah i am going to deal with your arguments one by one.

lets start with the first one, you said that America is not the only country accepting people and that might sound ok but i dont think there is a country in the world that has that mixture of people America has. you look at any European countries or any developed ones, getting a citizenship there is much more harder. you have green card in America which for instance allows foreigners to get the chance of going to the states and where else do you have time. this is not actually a major isssue and will show you more now.

You gave the argument on America not accepting people from the middle east and when did that really start?? it was after spetember 11 when the US was attack by terrorists and all from the middle east. there is a need for the us to protect itself. I am not saying all people in the middle east are terrorists but it is hard to make a difference and that is why America needs to be careful. Look at UK too after giving opportunities to people to go there, citizenships and everything and those people didnt even have those right in their countries of origin, they ended attacking and killing innocent people. so it is hard to make a difference and that is why America is behaving that way.

When i say America gives more financial aid to the UN and of course that means it gives more than any other country in the world. you might say it is false but maybe you should check first before saying that. The US gives more than 22 percent of UN budget and you may check this out

Lastly, you said you dont see how having 50 states is being great. That is being great in all sense in case you dont know. How do these states all work together under a central government in washington?? think about that.

The american economy might not be stable all the time but that happens to any country in the world.

Being great means a lot. For instance, when you call somebody, you are the greatest in your class, in your family and so on. it means you have something other do not have. America is the only superpower remaining and you know. we had USSR and what happened to them???? America still remain united and strong.
Look at the september bombing and how america has recovered frorm it? all that means a lot.
of course america is the most developed country in the world. i didnt say it myself.. that is what is there and it is being made based on your economy, industrialization and so many other factor. you may tell which country is the most developed and i will correct you.
secondly it is the number 1 superpower in the world.

I am not saying america is perfect, it has its ups and downs like any other country. The matter of fact is it remains the greatest country for the moments. Its economy has been strong for more than 50 years and that is just great. If you wanna talk about any other country making progress now, could you tell me how long that progress has been made?
thanks for your time and have a good weekend ok

Check history and you will understand. check from the time you guys discovered democracy, while people were in war in 1944, check out what america was doing. check out how you made it from 13states to 50 states... and now the European countries thinking of the same thing and even African and Asian countries too.
Think about why the whole world is using your money for business? when the dollar goes down, people all over the world are affected because businesses are made in that currency.
thanks
hattopic

Con

First off, let me take the time to thank you for your arguments thus far.

1) Diversity:

You claim America is the most diverse country in the world. You have no evidence, so your claim is not true. You don't cite which European countries have a longer citizen application period than the US. Interesting fact to become a citizen of the US you must have lived here for at least 5 years.

America is not an accepting country, look at us historically. We didn't accept blacks as part of our society until after the civil rights movement. We didn't accept women as a part of our society until after the women's' rights movement. Note that both of these movements happened after they'd already happened in Europe. Today we shun Middle Eastern people simply because they're from the Middle East. You may say that that's because all terrorists are Middle Eastern, but that's simply not true. An extremely small percentage of people from the Middle East are terrorists. And before 9/11 there was no significant terror attack on the US by a citizen from the Middle East. In fact the worst terror attack in our history before 9/11 was committed by an American, does that mean we should start discriminating against ourselves?

2) The UN/Charity:

You're right in saying that the US CLAIMS to finance 22% of the UN budget, however this is only because of the assessment the UN has done on the US. ANd if you've read the article you've cited you may have noticed that the US has refused to pay the UN for several years. To date the US owes over $1 billion to the UN.

I notice that you concede the fact that the US consistently ignores the UN, and the fact that the US government does not donate more money to charitable organizations than any other country.

3) 50 states?:

You assert once again that the 50 states the US is made up of makes the US great. I still don't see the relevance of this. Yes, we have 50 states. Yes each of these states has a government and each state operates under the federal government. Those are facts, not reasons that the US is great. You could say something like "The US has a population of 330 million people", which is a fact, but not something that makes the US great.

4) The Economy:

You concede that America doesn't have the best economy in the world.

5) Miscellaneous:

You said:

"For instance, when you call somebody, you are the greatest in your class, in your family and so on."

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that. Could you elaborate?

"America is the only superpower remaining and you know. we had USSR and what happened to them???? America still remain united and strong."

Untrue, look at China, they're clearly a superpower, they have a larger population than the US, more manufacturing power than the US, a larger military than the US and a better economy.

America is hardly united. In the aftermath of 9/11 we were a united nation. A famous quote at the time was "We're not democrats or republicans, we're Americans". The sentiment doesn't hold true today. America has split down the middle with conservatives on one side, and liberals on the other. The citizens of this country don't agree with each other, and in some cases they outright despise each other.

America is not the most developed country in the world. Look at places like Japan, which are much more technologically advanced than us. One way to measure development is the Human Development Index, currently Norway has the highest HDI score. Since 1980 when the index was first started, the US has never had the highest HDI score.

Another way to measure development is the Quality of Life Index, which measures the quality of life in countries. Currently the US is number 13 on the list.

(If we're using wikipedia as a reference: http://en.wikipedia.org...)

while people were in war in 1944, check out what america was doing. check out how you made it from 13states to 50 states... and now the European countries thinking of the same thing and even African and Asian countries too.
Think about why the whole world is using your money for business? when the dollar goes down, people all over the world are affected because businesses are made in that currency."

"check from the time you guys discovered democracy"

Americans did not discover democracy. Democracy was an idea that had existed in Europe long before it was implemented in the US.

"while people were in war in 1944, check out what america was doing."

Ah, but what about before 1944. The US didn't intercede on the Allies behalf until provoked by Japan in 1941. While Hitler was marching through Germany the US stood complacently by, and only acted because we couldn't ignore military attacks.

"Think about why the whole world is using your money for business? when the dollar goes down, people all over the world are affected because businesses are made in that currency."

The US dollar is not the standard currency used around the globe. The Euro is used in more countries than the dollar is. The Euro is the currency that OPEC bases it's oil prices on. The Euro is worth more than the dollar. In fact many currencies are now worth more than the dollar. Take the Canadian dollar for example. For years the Canadian dollar has been lower than the US dollar, but today it's worth more.

Also you've conceded 4 of my points which were:

3) America does not have the largest, or the best military in the world.
4) America's education system is not the best in the world.
5) America's health care system is not the best in the world.
6) America's government is not the best in the world.

And I'll add another to the list,

American citizens are not the freest in the world.

Nice debate so far, looking forward to your next argument.
iamsano

Pro

hello
let me start by thanking you for your effort and commitment and yeah i hope we both learning from each other.
first of all, you said that i have no evidence on american diversity but you have not show anything. America is very diverse and there is nothing to deny about that. If you wanna talk about how long it takes to get a citizenship and you compared the american case to the european one, you are wrong. Things are much easier overthere and how many illegal immigrants are there in the states compared to any other country in the world? much more my dear and the us government knows about it and close their eyes and that is not the case in Europe or anywhere else. but i said this is not a major issue.
American is not an accepting country... oh yeah in the past and that was not only America. Blacks were not accepted and that is true but what about today. as i said it was only in America, it was everywhere in Europe too. Progress has been made in America and there is no country in the world where blacks have made progress like they have in America and of course a lot of things need to be done. we have seen blacks in the congress, and even we have a black candidate going for a presidential election and I have seen that in any other country where blacks were brought to.
You don't accept woman?? Things happened in the past and we have seen changes, improvement and women today play great roles in America. Yeah both of these movements happened after they have happened in Europe but where great progress has been made my dear so far?
I never said all people from the middle east are terrorists or all terrorists are arabs. I said that America is in position to be very careful like any western country. Lets look at the middle east, people there do not have any right under their own government. Women are abused and so on. Before the 9/11 attack, or even the us embassies bombing in Kenya and Tanzania happened, people from the middle east were free to go to the states my dear and things just change and that is for national security. The worst bombing was done by an American and yeah you might right there.. if I am right you are talking about the oklawoma bombing right??? And can you really compared that to 9/11??? That will be wrong.

You also said that the US does not give more than 22 percent of financial aid to the UN and I never conceded that my dear. Could you please tell me which country then gives more?? I am talking based on facts and not on illusions. The US ignores the UN in the war in Iraq and yeah you are right on that. I never said US is perfect but it is the greatest among others. The failure of the League of Nations came from the European countries and what do you say about that. The US helped solved the Bosnian war and you never thought of that I guess.
I also mentioned it is the only superpower remaining and you never said anything against that too.
China was never considered as a superpower my dear and that is very clear. China is doing great now and that is good but if you talking about the military power and stuff, America is much more stronger. They are the only superpower remaining and this is a fact. I am not making up things here and maybe you should check first before saying no.
Having a larger population does not just make you a superpower? What are the conditions of the Chinese people compared to Americans?
If China was so great, why would Chinese people be leaving the country every day to look for better opportunities in America or even Europe? Think about that.
When did you know about Chinese economy? It has been improving recently but America's economy has been strong for more than 50 years my friend.
When I say that if you are a student and all your teacher say you are the greatest one means you are the best, and you must do better than anyone. America has been a role model for many countries and I have given you the example of how countries are now thinking of coming together. I gave you the example of the United States of Africa for instance.

Being united does not mean you should all have the same beliefs or ideas. People can be united and still disagree on issues and that is the beauty of democracy. Do you have that opportunity in china for instance? Of course no, journalists are being jailed for no reason, you cant talk about the Chinese government and so on. Violation of human rights over there and I don't know why you have to compare both countries.

No matter what group you belong to, people in America are able to work together and that is what I am talking about.

You still don't know why having 50 states is great. That is maybe you never thought about how the ancient people worked for that. I am from Africa and I know how it is to even unite two or three tribes of a same country. That is not something easy and even the European union, how long did it take them to form the union? More than 50 years and still they have not accomplished all. They are also focusing more on the economy and stuff but the united states is just one country now and that is beautiful.

You talked about Japan and that is fine. They are strong in technology and who is protecting them? It is America for your information.

You said this "One way to measure development is the Human Development Index, currently Norway has the highest HDI score. Since 1980 when the index was first started, the US has never had the highest HDI score" but Norway is not even the most developed country in Europe my dear. The ranking of developed countries is not something which is done by me or you, it is done by experts based on so many things and we all read from those reports and interprets from them. So if you keep denying what is being written based on research, there is nothing I can do.

The Euro is used in more countries? I don't think you understand the business process. The US dollar is used for business. You go to countries like Laos, Cambodia, Argentina and so on you can just spend us dollar and you don't even have to change it into their currency. When did Euro come out too? Not even ten years and still not accepted by some European Union countries such as the UK.
Americans are free and there is too much freedom in America. I have not conceded to any of your point and don't say I have. Largest population does not make you the greatest and you should and about the best military in the world, if not America which country is??? Tell me I cant wait to know.

Thanks man and yeah waiting for your conclusion. Maybe you can then name a country you think is the greatest instead of just saying no to me and not proving anything.
Thanks
No hard feeling
hattopic

Con

Great debate so far

1) Diversity:
You claim America is diverse, yet you concede that you have no evidence. Yes America is a diverse country. However if diversity is the standard by which we measure greatness you must prove that America is the MOST diverse country in the world. You have failed to do so.

You claim that blacks have made more progress in America than anywhere else in the world. In European the slave trade was abolished years before it was abolished in America. In todays world America is no better than any other country. There is still discrimination in this country, but more than there is in some other countries.

You claim that in the middle east citizens have no rights. This is simply untrue. Middle Eastern countries have constitutions, and have rights. Yes, women are treated differently in Middle Eastern culture. This is the result of cultural gaps, who are the American people to judge other customs and beliefs?

I am talking about the Oklahoma City bombing. And yes, it is comparable to the 9/11 terror attacks. True there is a disparity in the loss of life, however one can't trivialize an attack that resulted in the deaths of over 100 people. They were both terror attacks, they both resulted in massive casualty rates, they are comparable.

2) Charity:
The US does not contribute MORE than 22% of the UN's budget. In fact, they don't contribute everything because Congress doesn't approve the spending. True, no country CLAIMS to give more, but right now every country contributing anything is a larger donor than the US.

You concede that the US consistently ignores the UN.

Pro: "The failure of the League of Nations came from the European countries and what do you say about that."

I fail to see the relevance of that statement

Pro: "The US helped solved the Bosnian war and you never thought of that I guess."

It doesn't support my argument so why would I mention it? Also the introduction of new arguments in your closing is generally frowned upon.

3) Superpower:
Pro: "I also mentioned it is the only superpower remaining and you never said anything against that too. "

Please refer to my statements in round 3. I clearly stated that China is also a global superpower.

You go on to claim that China is not a superpower. I'm curious as to how you can make that statement. You don't back yourself up with any evidence, you just make the claim. A superpower is a nation that has the resources, weaponry, and personnel superior to that of other countries. I stated in Round 3 that China has a larger military than the US. Currently the People's Liberation Army has 2.3 million personnel (http://www.globalsecurity.org...). The US military has just over 1 million personnel. (http://www.armyg1.army.mil...)
China has technology equal to our own. China has nuclear capabilities. China is clearly a world Superpower. With the 2:1 advantage in numbers they have China would not be defeated by the US in a military conflict, the US is not stronger than China.

You assert that China has living qualities worse than that of the US. That might be true for the general population, however that doesn't make them any less a superpower.

4) Economy:
You once again claim that America's economy has been strong for over 50 years. You once again fail to back that claim up. America does not have the BEST economy in the world. We'll look at China as an example. Currently the US spends more on imports than it makes on exports. Fiscally, that's bad.

"China's economy is now bigger than the United States and China is now the centre of the global economy." (http://www.lilithgallery.com...)

China is the world leader in exports. Currently China out-paces the US in tech exports (http://www.businessweek.com...). China has a trade surplus of over $230 billion. Conversely, the US has a trade deficit of over $57 billion (http://afp.google.com...).

My claim is not that China is a better country than the US. However, China is a superior country in many ways. If the greatness of a country is measured on THESE ways then China is a better country than the US.

4) Miscellaneous:
Pro: "You talked about Japan and that is fine. They are strong in technology and who is protecting them? It is America for your information."

I'm sorry, what? Since when does the US protect Japan?

On the HDI (Human Development Index)
Pro: "but Norway is not even the most developed country in Europe my dear. The ranking of developed countries is not something which is done by me or you, it is done by experts based on so many things and we all read from those reports and interprets from them. So if you keep denying what is being written based on research, there is nothing I can do."

The HDI is a measurement of standard of living in countries. Which is the development of the people in a country. This is a ranking done by experts. If we believe what those experts tell us than currently the US has 11 countries ahead of it in terms of living standards. You never presented me with evidence that the US is more developed than any other country. You are the one denying the evidence.

On the US dollar
The Euro is currently used in 13 countries. The dollar is currently used in 10 countries. More countries peg their currency to the Euro than to the dollar. The Euro is worth much more than the dollar. You claim the dollar is used in business specifically in: Argentina, Laos, and Cambodia without being converted.

Are these the countries the US does the majority of it's business in?

On freedom
Pro: "Americans are free and there is too much freedom in America."

There's too much freedom? Then countries with fewer civil liberties are better than America? I'll assume you mis-spoke and meant that there is more freedom in America than anywhere else in the world. Untrue (http://www.stateofworldliberty.org...).

50 states
I finally get to the bottom of your argument. Your claim is that the fact that there are 50 states that are makes the US better than any other country. In the original US that was the idea, to have a loose confederation of states. Today states are mostly lines on a map with power much less then that of the federal government. The idea of states rights was put down after the Civil War. So the fact that we have 50 states has nothing to do with our greatness.

Finally
You ask me to provide you with a country that is greater than America. Fortunately I don't have to do this. The point of my argument is that America is not the greatest country in the world. I don't have to prove which country is greater, or even the number of countries. All I have to do is prove that there's at least 1 country in the world that's better than America. So did I do that? Well lets look at the arguments:

America is diverse. -Rebutted, you provide no evidence that America is the most diverse country in the world.

America is charitable. -Rebutted, your only claim is that we donate money to the UN, which I have proved is untrue.

America has a great economy. - Rebutted, China has a better economy than the US.

America has 50 states. -Irrelevant.

But let's say that I conceded all of your arguments. Would you win the debate? No, because your assertions don't outweigh mine. I laid out several arguments you failed to respond to. They were:

America does not have the largest, or the best military in the world.

America's education system is not the best in the world.

America's health care system is not the best in the world.

America's government is not the best in the world.

I successfully rebutted you, and if even if I didn't, my arguments outweigh.
iamsano

Pro

Thanks for your reply and yeah it is time to conclude. I am not a native English speaker. I have been speaking English for six years. I am from a French speaking country.

Lets go back to the debate. You said that I have not proven that America is the most diverse country in the world. You have to understand that when we talk about diversity, we have to refers on certain things and in this debate I refer on race or people. America is the most diverse country in that sense. We have blacks, white, Hispanics, Latino, Indians, Asians, and more and all these people are being able to live and work together under a united government. Isn't it that great my dear? Of course it is. We have many countries in the world with less than three races and people can not get along. America has made progress in that sense and all these different people can be successful. You said that discrimination is still there and can't say no but there is no country in the world without that. Countries are working on that and I hope things will be alright. Look at Europe since that is where you take most of your examples from. We still have racial segregation there. You watch a soccer game and fans are calling some black players monkeys and stuff.

You also talked about slave trade abolished in Europe first and my question to you is who started it in the first place? It was the Europeans who started all and they went around the world to colonize people. They were the same people who went to America and made the USA their home… have you forgotten about history my friend? Fine and yeah it all happened in the past. America stopped slave trade late but today blacks have made it in the states and opportunities are being given to people now. We still have discrimination and yeah but it is better there than in any other country. Martin Luther King's dream is becoming true… God bless America.

Middle East countries have no right and you said it is untrue. Of course the rights are there but not applied. That is what you should understand. Why most of the terrorists are from the middle east? Have you ever thought of that?? Because of a type of government they have. People are oppressed by the government, no freedom of speech and nothing and America is the freest country in term of that. You guys have freedom of expressions, rights are protected and many others.

Yes about the Oklahoma attack, first of all I have never condoned a terrorist attack. It was bad and the person needed to be punished. Even now in America, everyone is being checked at the airport for instance for you are traveling, big shopping malls and stuff and that is because the government wants people to be safe.

About your charity, of course America is still the biggest donor and for instance do you know how much they have given to Africa in the past ten years? Billions my dear and when Tsunami happened in Asia, they were the first here to help and that was just great.

I agree that the US ignored the UN in the war in Iraq and I was against America for that and Bush said they made a mistake. I debate based on facts and that is a fact.

The League of Nations had to do the same things UN is doing now and that failed because of the Europeans countries disunity. I talked about that to remind you that not only USA have done mistakes and maybe you get it now.
China is a superpower and ok as you wish but if you are talking about the worlds most powerful countries, china is not even in the first three and of course the USA is first and remains the undisputed superpower and that is even why the president of the United States is like the most important person in the world. That did not come from me. America is a great country and people all over the world have respect for it. Of course they have the larger military than the US but that does that make them more powerful. If you talked about military technology, the US is better than China. These are simple things for you to know. China has more than a billion people and how do you expect them to have the same number of personals as the US? That is just impossible and today in china they have a one child policy which means you cannot have more than one child… how great is that my dear?? That has led to babes killing… you know why because Chinese people prefer a son to a daughter and today in china, you have more men and less ladies and that has created a society of many men without wives.

Economy and you claimed that America spends more on imports.. hey you need to understand that we have what we call outsourcing. American products are made outside the states because the labor there is cheaper.

The Euro is used in 13 countries and the dollar in ten. When I said that dollar is used as the main currency for business, I am about the global business. Businesses have been using dollars for trade and even foreign direct investors have been doing everything in dollar and that is in the case of euro.

You might think you have successfully rebutted me but it is not true. Oh yeah maybe you don't have to provide me a country but in a debate like this you might do it and prove that you are the winner because in that case I will know about how a great country looks like.
Lastly you can not just rebut and say you win.
I am now in a hurry for class and hope people will vote for the winner.
Nice debate
Posted by gogott 9 years ago
gogott
If you don't like America....MOVE!!!!
Posted by iamsano 9 years ago
iamsano
yeah you might have thought that way but you were wrong. You might think that i had no arguments and did not follow the rules but you are wrong. I might think the same too. people are out there to read and decide based on what they
understand. anyway i had a good debate and that is the most important thing for me.
good luck
Posted by hattopic 9 years ago
hattopic
This debate is long over, but I find the results very interesting. When I finished this debate I knew that I'd done a pretty good job making arguments, rebutting my opponent, and applying general debate theory, and I thought that I'd explained my arguments and reasoning in simple enough terms for anybody to understand. So I figured that this debate would have a very clear outcome. Oh how wrong I was.

The results right now show a near tie between my opponent and myself, which I'm fairly surprised by. My opponent never answered my arguments, they never proved their own arguments, and they failed to follow debate etiquette . For example, they introduced new evidence and arguments in the final round, that's generally frowned upon, they didn't properly extend their arguments each round, they debated on emotions and feelings, instead of facts.

I'm surprised, and I'm disappointed in the debating community.
Posted by easy2know 9 years ago
easy2know
Lydie..now you sound like a sweet intelligent young lady..filled with expectations and aspirations..and just beginning to question your surroundings.

Teachings, developments, etc are forever forging ahead in any country, and yes our country has been complacent in many ways, but through out history we have "always" over come and risen to the occasion. We owe everything to the strong foundation (God) our country was based on.

Our trust and respect for other country's will and has been honorable for decades, freedoms all over the world have become a reality because of us and many other country's who believe in these liberty's. There will always be hardliners, or people that feel change is bad, but the greatest thing America has going for them is that we have embedded in our society a people that still teaches us the true meanings of this "country" we call home. These peoples will keep us humble, honorable, and they have been speaking out for humanity before and since the day we arrived. The good news is they as we have the same Father, and as you travel you will find Him in all four corners of the Earth, the Creator has touched every culture..!

I envy your youth, yet not a painful or resentful way, but in hopes that your path is filled with glorious and wondrous travels in your life. Good luck to you Lydie and Happy Holidays..:o)
Posted by Lydie 9 years ago
Lydie
I wasn´t refering to our country as juvenile (sorry for my spelling before) but the concept of competition. I do think the USA is a good place to be. I just think its impossible to say that its the BEST. its influencial, got that certainly. Standard of living is good too. Certainly the University system is superb. I can´t wait to go to an American University...

But...less than half the country participates in elections. The popular vote doesn´t infact decide the president, the economy is getting worse, and the unwillingness to adapt our rather wasteful way of life is putting a serious hamper on the enviornment.

I don´t mean to make out childhood out as a bad thing at all, certainly being juvenile, making mistakes and being irresponsible is important as a learning experience, and fun too. I´m saying that globally, economically, techiologically, our society has reached beyond that. Or it should have by now. Our capabilities and our sheer knowledge of the world, and the human experience, give us the capability to understand other cultures, and countries and therefore to respect them. If we shout out fasities, and past romantisisms about our country, ¨land of opportunity¨ and such, it just doesn´t cut it anymore. Is the average american presented with more opportunities than the average European? I´m not so sure...

I don´t pretend to represent my town, just myself. I´m just putting my ideas out there, theyre likely to change and shift. But as I see it now, our social values are not keeping up with our other developments as a global community, and I feel as citizens of one of the, if not THE most influencial country in the world, we have a responsibility not necessarily to just give economically, but lead. And I don´t feel that our country´s general sentiments, or actions are speaking out for humanity, just our own interests.

I don´t know why my last comment came across so harshy, re reading it, it is pretty...harsh.
Posted by iamsano 9 years ago
iamsano
hello lydie
I never say one culture is better than another. But of course i can say one country is better than another one. There are so many reasons for that and you should know. If you have one country doing better than another one and you compare them , you will have to say one is better. same if you have two teachers, you can say one is better than another one.
hope you understand that. America is the land of opportunity, the best place to be.
merry christmas...

oh that site miight be two or three years old. maybe you can check the record, usa have the best universities in the world... and that is until now... you can check and let me know
see ya
good debate.. kind of tight... love it
Posted by griffinisright 9 years ago
griffinisright
Great debate iamsano. The U.S. is defunitely the GREATIST country in the world.
Posted by griffinisright 9 years ago
griffinisright
Posted by easy2know 9 years ago
easy2know
Lydie...Leave it to someone with a vocabulary like yours to show the world a word that makes a (normally) beautiful thing into nothing more than a dirty word, I'm sure your town is proud of you. Our country will surely be juvenile: physiologically immature or undeveloped with your attitude..!
Posted by hattopic 9 years ago
hattopic
Sano, note that the map you cite is 3-4 years old. Anyways, Merry Christm- I mean, generic winter holiday.
Vote Placed by iholland95 4 years ago
iholland95
hattopiciamsanoTied
Vote Placed by dura_to_the_max 8 years ago
dura_to_the_max
hattopiciamsanoTied
Vote Placed by makliffo 9 years ago
makliffo
hattopiciamsanoTied
Vote Placed by gogott 9 years ago
gogott
hattopiciamsanoTied
Vote Placed by mikelwallace 9 years ago
mikelwallace
hattopiciamsanoTied
Vote Placed by sully 9 years ago
sully
hattopiciamsanoTied
Vote Placed by Richard89 9 years ago
Richard89
hattopiciamsanoTied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
hattopiciamsanoTied
Vote Placed by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
hattopiciamsanoTied
Vote Placed by aaltobartok 9 years ago
aaltobartok
hattopiciamsanoTied