The United States public education system needs to be reformed

Debate Rules & Regulations

1)You may include as many sources as you want, or no sources if you wish.

2)All source citation types and sources will be accepted.

3)The winner will be decided by an "Open Voting" style taking place over the course of a month after the debate is completed.

4)Failure to post an argument in 48 hours will not result in automatic disqualification although voters are encouraged to vote for a debater who does in fact post an valid argument for each and every round.

I personally believe that the United States public education system needs a drastic reform if the United States wishes to be a world power in the 21st century and beyond.

My proposed changes would include:

* The expanded availability of practical use classes. (Business/Personal Finance, Technology, Practical Sciences, Current Affairs, Future Affairs, etc.)

* In order to provide these classes the schools must scale back (although not completely eliminate) today's popular regulation classes (English, Foreign language, Health/ Fitness ,etc.)

* Technology shall be more widespread. (Computers & Tablets in the classroom environment)

* In order for today's children to solve the problems of tomorrow, the skills needed to solve the problems of tomorrow must be taught today.

The order and purpose of the five debate rounds are as following:

1) Challenge & Acceptance
2) Why or why not certain classes should be taught/scaled back.
3) Pro and Con views on expanding the use of technology in the classroom.
4) Why or why not are these "classes of tomorrow" are important to children.
5) Final arguments and thoughts on why voters should "vote pro" or "vote con".

To whomever my con challenger is I wish them best of luck and I hope this will be a quite spectacular debate.

The modern influx of Social diseases such as ADHD, and Dyslexia have swayed our judgments of both school, and childhood disciplinary actions as a whole. We have come to regard our school system as outdated, and overwhelming but in actuality it is merely the generation after generation decline in both the responsibility and attentiveness of our youth. Programs such as facebook, instagram, and twitter, have created a instant satisfaction society that deems anything that is hard as boring. Much of the issue in our school systems has been the dumbing down of material in order to keep up with small attention spans that we have created. What needs reform is no longer our education system, but our children and the way we raise them. Must we look back to the 1950's and see that with our education system which has been doomed to fail by many experts that they thrived and were ranked #1 in the world in terms of Education? The collapse of our Educational System is something I agree must be fixed I disagree and will argue that it is not our system merely the self indulging, small attention spans we have sprouted in our youth

jlc0033, before we I begin my argument let me say thank for accepting my debate, although I'm glad that and I both agree that the United States public education must be reformed I don't quite agree with why your proposals should be chosen over mine. But nevertheless on to the second round.

I believe that certain classes can offer more practical and "hands on solutions" to the current ones. For example geometry Is a class that can be replaced with a better, more practical alternative class such as CAD. CAD stands for Computer Aided Design and the class uses a computer software program which allows the "architect/ engineer" to construct buildings and engineer transportation methods.

This class offers students who wish to become architects or engineer a real world experience. I have personally used CAD software and I can say that many things that I learned in my high school geometry classes were brilliantly incorporated into this software. Architecture and Engineering is a very popular career path and provides many opportunities.

As you can see architecture and engineering are very important and prestigious career paths for young people. Why teach a class that the students will need to adjust for later in college and their job, when it is much more efficient teach directly with the software used by professionals on the job?

Haven't you heard of all the millennials who come into the workforce without "formal" training. The article below states six options employer can access when training young employees. Point #3 states the many millennials have a college degree but they also have a lack of formal training, that could have been more quickly and efficiently acquired in a number of high school courses.

I realize that your views on this obviously differ from mine, but I don't believe that anyone can logically argue that young, untrained college graduates entering the workforce for skilled jobs like this is not a problem.

I also believe that this would financially benefit both the employer and the employee as the employer saves money by not mandating a training course, and the money that the employer saves goes towards employee's bonuses and pay checks.

In conclusion in this round I have argued for my opinion that more practical and "hands on" classes can offer realistic and interesting alternative to the "core classes", and I have shown you a few of the many problems caused by the lack of enforcement of practical classes in high school. I wish you best of luck this round!

Many of the students today have become so diluted in their approach to school they fail to realize many of the hands-on classes you have suggested really do exist. In my argument I state for you the ROP program in my hometown. Not only does this ROP program offer working, and work-like experience but also specializes in giving students the resources they need to excel later in life. Also both examples that you have listed require further schooling past the Public School options such as High School. When we get into College obviously we must re-learn and acquire new skills for the designated major we have chosen. What High School is meant for is not to teach us everything we must know in order to become an engineer, but rather a generalized basic concepts that we can use as a launching pad of sorts once we decide whether or not we are going to pursue higher education. The job that Public Schooling is listed to do, which is to prepare high school graduates for either careers straight out of high school, or as a stepping stone for College is something that it has completed very well. Electives such as Consumer Math teach us how to balance a checkbook, and programs such as ROP teach skills in certain areas that do not demand a college degree such as Construction, Welding, and Food Care. Although there are some points correct in your argument I believe you have a misconception on what is available to our students, and what our students actually use to their advantage. Although I believe we need a change it is not in our system yet our work ethic.

jlc0033, thank you for linking this website this website (, I found interesting information on the website, but I have you a few questions about it that I could not find an answer to in neither the website you linked nor in the context of your argument for round two.

1) It seems as this program is only available in California, if I am incorrect could you please provide a link which describes program opportunities in other states? ( Or You could find similar organizations for a few states other than California.)

2) I've always known that programs like this have existed, but as you have stated in the opening round, "Programs such as facebook, instagram, and twitter, have created a instant satisfaction society that deems anything that is hard as boring." My question is if today's youth is "hooked" on these social networking sites than how will they discover and engage in these programs if they are not presented directly to them? You could argue that their parents should attempt to engage their children in these "out of school" programs, but the problem is that most parents ignore/know nothing of these programs, so if the parents and the schools are unwilling to persuade the children into these activities, then who will? Because I'm certain that most children do not attempt to discover programs like this themselves.

3) Also, another flaw that I have taken note of is that today's student generation has become notoriously famous for their busy schedules, filled with sports practices, sports game, "free time", and relaxation time, so attending these classes wether it be in person or online is quite impractical for most of the students of today.

I have also found that your statement "The job that Public Schooling is listed to do, which is to prepare high school graduates for either careers straight out of high school, or as a stepping stone for College is something that it has completed very well." in some ways this statement is contradicting to your argument as most high schools do not provide classes that prepare high school graduates that join the workforce immediately, but they rather assume that a student of the class will go on to college, which is in almost all cases, false.

Now on to the official debate of round #3, which is my proposal of expanding the use of today's technology in the classroom and preparing students to acquire the skills of tomorrow, today. I strongly believe that in today's working environment, as well as tomorrow's working environment, the ability to not only understand but also to have the ability to master technology is crucial for any student that wishes to pursue a career incorporating information technology into the position's everyday tasks.

The link that I have posted above claims that according to The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics "information technology will add more than 785,000 new jobs from 2008 to 2018."
Think about, if 785,000 IT jobs will be added by 2018 think about how many IT will be added by 2030, or even 2060!

If we are not successful in training over 785,000 student's for these job's than another country such as China, Finland, or Japan will.

I wish you best of luck this round!

I must say that I completely agree with you on IT Jobs. Not only is technology becoming a growing part of our society but of the worlds, and I will be the first to say that I am disappointed that what most of the leading innovators in America in that sector have learned about those types of technological advances have been outside of school. Yet I must point out to you that the majority of the students in school are not Bill Gates, or Steve Jobs. What this type of reform inside of the school system would accomplish would be to change what the majority of students feel, and to subject the majority to unnecessary change at the request of a small minority. Although I believe small side courses which can be sought out should be made available to those more technically inclined I also believe that the views you have stated represent a small fraction of our total population, and more importantly of those who are seeking education for employment. If reform is necessary I would support if and only if it represented the views of the School System as a whole. Being a product of this 'flawed' system I can tell you that I feel as if I am just as smart as those in Europe, Asia, and every other continent and that the same, if not more opportunities have been made to available to me once I began seeking just as in any other country. I believe that what has changed from Country to Country is how willing the students inside of each are to seek out these opportunities. Although I understand your hesitation in allowing the current school system to continue especially with the predictions that 785,000 new jobs might not be able to be filled, I argue that where the jobs go so will the enthusiasm for seeking out training in those areas as well. As you have already stated you knew for sometime that programs like the one I listed are available, and you proved my point what is missing is not the availability of these programs in the system, but rather the determination to seek them and use them by our students.

In your argument you state "Yet I must point out to you that the majority of the students in school are not Bill Gates, or Steve Jobs", I see what you mean by this sentence, although I feel as we've had a miscommunication error as I did not state that we need to be training students to become the next Steve Jobs or Bill Gates. All that my proposal's of integrating modern technologies into the learning environment is stating is that we need to be training students for future jobs. As my source in the previous round shows the employment of computer and information systems managers is expected to grow between 18 to 26 percent for all occupations through the year 2014. The worker's who will fill this 18 to 26 percent gap are not named Bill Gates, or Steve Jobs for that matter.

The link that I have posted above provides a list of the ten best job sectors for middle class workers. This article rank's the technology sector the second best only to the medical field for middle class jobs.
It states that "The average salary for a systems engineer is $87,100, that career field is expected to grow 45% over the next 10 years. "

This link above provides information on the eleven major IT career's, and if you click on them you can see that all eleven careers have very fast growth rates compared to the national average for all careers.

Therefore I believe that in order to overcome the challenges of tomorrow student's must be taught the skill's of tomorrow today.

Although I believe the statistics that you have listed are eye opening, the job openings that you have listed all require formal schooling once High School is over. The reform you are asking for is one on the reform of higher education rather then that of high school, yet the debate is over whether our PUBLIC School Systems need reform, which is something that I have failed to be convinced of yet. Although you and I both agree that jobs in the technological sector will become very important what you fail to make clear in your argument is why you think Public Schools should be reformed to do that, when they were not created for that purpose. Again I state to you that for even middle management positions this particular job sector schooling after high school is mandatory, which makes a reform of high schools to fit this growing sector obsolete, unless there is a radical change in the requirements on employees in that sector. Thanks.

Con, you pointed out that "the job openings that you have listed all require formal schooling once High School is over. " This is correct but there are a few things that you have failed to consider.

If we were to widely incorporate into the public school system some of the practical classes that I have previously described, than a education needed for an exceptional job may not require college degrees.

One of the largest problem among the battle of wealth inequality in The United States of America is that many exceptionally intelligent children whose families are near the bottom of the wealth pyramid do not have sufficient funding to attend college even with the availability of scholarships. If we were to incorporate these college courses into a high school curriculum poorer children will have the ability to gain these valuable skills. It would also allow children to showcase their intellectual ability to understand these "real world" and college application. If a poorer child is exceptional at engineering but does not have to opportunity to showcase or discover his or her skills, then how will he ever attain the college education needed to further advance those engineering skills.

Also, I did not state that public school should replace higher learning institutions, I simply said that these practical classes would prepare students for a higher education, such as the major one that you stated in your argument, college.

In conclusion, I believe that practical use classes should be more widespread in the public school system, technology is playing a greater role in today's and tomorrow's society, and that in order for today's children to solve the problems of tomorrow, the skills needed to solve the problems of tomorrow must be taught today.

I believe that this was a very amusing debate and that you were a very intellectual opponent. I wish you the best of luck in the voting period.

jlc0033 forfeited this round.