thett3
Deathbeforedishonour

The United States should abolish Capital Punishment

thett3

thett3

Pro

Completely playing devil's advocate here, but I want to see both sides. First round is for acceptance. Second is constructive, no rebuttals. Third and Fourth we make rebuttals. No new arguments in the fourth round. Cross examination is permitted.

Good luck to my future Opponent!
Deathbeforedishonour

Con

I accept and I wish my opponent a good debate. :)
thett3

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate. Rather than divide my case into traditional contentions, I'm trying a new approach and I hope it works out.

Death Penalty- The punishment of execution, administered to someone legally convicted of a capital crime

=Practical argument against the Death Penalty=

1. The Death Penalty has few if any unique benefits.

2. The Death Penalty has many unique harms.

3. Therefore, the Death Penalty should be abolished.

Premise one:

This is quite obvious, the only true benefit I can see offered by the Death Penalty in the United States is that it permanently incapacitates a murderer. While this is clearly a good thing, due to the absurdly slow and cumbersome nature of Capital Punishment in the United States, said benefit is largely reduced. Indeed, with the resources saved by abolishing the Death Penalty, the benefits reaped would largely outweigh, which leads to premise two.

Premise two:

The Death Penalty has severe negative affects. one example is cost. Here are some examples: "Since 1983, taxpayers in New Jersey have paid $253 million more for death penalty trials than they would have paid for trials not seeking execution"

"A recent Duke University study of North Carolina's death penalty costs found that the state could save $11 million a year by substituting life in prison for the death penalty"

"
The Tennessee Comptroller of the Currency recently estimated that death penalty trials cost an average of 48 percent more than trials in which prosecutors sought life sentences."

"A Florida study found the state could cut its costs by $51 million simply by eliminating the death penalty."

"Overall, according to Dieter, the studies have uniformly and conservatively shown that a death-penalty trial costs $1 million more than one in which prosecutors seek life without parole."[1]

All of these statistics were found from Fox News, so any possibility of bias is highly illogical, if anything Fox News would be biased in support of the Death Penalty.

Innocence is another one of these negative effects. Death Penalty information center shows 138 individuals sentenced to die who were later found innocent.[2] They also list nine executd individuals executed who's guilt is seriously questionable. Are we supposed to accept this? Over 100 innocents sentenced to die, for a punishment that does not even have any benefits?

Capital Punishment also brutalizes society, studies say, causing murder to actually increase![3]. Indeed, “disturbed persons learning about an impending or completed execution, interpret the execution as governmental modeling of killing, suggesting to their minds that killing therefore becomes an acceptable means of righting wrongs”[4]

Premise three logically follows.

I reserve the right to bring in more examples and sources for this.

=Moral argument=

1. Murder is the premeditated killing of a human being by a citizen, which is immoral.

2. The Death Penalty is the premeditated killing of a human being guilty of a crime by a government.

3. If an action is immoral, it matters not who performs it.

4. The guilt of a person is not enough to turn an immoral action into a moral action.

5. Therefore, the Death Penalty is immoral.

Of this, I feel that the only true debate will take place on the morality of Capital Punishmen, so I will now justify my argument.

Why Capital Punishment is immoral

Capital punishment is an ancient, and curious, method of punishment. Rather than attempt to help a criminal become a working member of society, we are simply dismissing them as worthless, and extreminating them. It may be thought that Capital murderers are beyond rehabilitation, and to dispute this I would like to bring in the example of Stanley Williams, executed in 2005. His crimes were indeed heinous, however this is proof that even the worst of criminals can stll be rehabilitated. While on Death Row he became a christian, wrote books, and founded programs for peace and anti-gang violence.[5]

So let's take this in perspective. We are taking a man who has shown us that he has repented for his crime, rather than making him a useful member of society (even prison society, he could be used as a perfect example) we're using a punishment on him that not only costs us massive amounts of money, but is suggested to brutalize society and cause even more violence? Not to mention how backward it makes us look compared with most other nations who have abolished the Death Penalty. This simply makes no sense. If my Opponent wants more examples of repented murderers, I would be happy to give him some.

I greatly anticipate Con's reply, and am looking forward to this debate.

1. http://www.foxnews.com...
2. http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...
3. http://web.rollins.edu...
4. http://en.wikipedia.org...
5. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Deathbeforedishonour

Con

Deathbeforedishonour forfeited this round.
thett3

Pro

How honorable.
Deathbeforedishonour

Con

thett3

Pro

This was a really tough round.
Deathbeforedishonour

Con

Posted by Deathbeforedishonour 6 years ago
Deathbeforedishonour
Ok then I wish you luck ur going to need it lol
Posted by thett3 6 years ago
thett3
alright good! just so you know, this is a 100% devils advocate debate for me, I'm a staunch supporter of the DP. but I think it would be beneficial for me to debate the other side (know your enemy ya know?)
Deathbeforedishonour
It's ok, it gives me time to work on my other 3 debates. lol :)
Posted by thett3 6 years ago
thett3
DBDH, I'll probably be posting this in around two days. I have a pre-written case in support of the DP, but not against it so I have to write one up. And tomorrow I'll be busy. Maybe I shouldnt have started this now, lol but sorry for an almost certain delay in my arguments. I am looking forward to this though.
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 6 years ago
Man-is-good
thett3DeathbeforedishonourTied
Reasons for voting decision: Countering MassDebator's vote bomb...He is clearly bearing a grudge against thett3 after losing his debate on the lack of achievements and contributions of blacks to society and culture.
Vote Placed by MassDebator255 6 years ago
MassDebator255
thett3DeathbeforedishonourTied
Reasons for voting decision: vote vote vote vote vote vote
Vote Placed by aircraftmechgirl 6 years ago
aircraftmechgirl
thett3DeathbeforedishonourTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit by the ever-fantastic DBDH. Or something. Thett would've won this anyway.
Vote Placed by Cobo 6 years ago
Cobo
thett3DeathbeforedishonourTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfiet