Conservative
the_conservative

The United States should develop a universal health care system.

Con Tied Pro

Conservative

Con

The debate is about exactly what the topic says. I believe the United States should not use a universal health care system. I noticed your a conservative, as well as I am, and just want to see how this works between us.
the_conservative

Pro

the_conservative forfeited this round.
Conservative

Con

Well,

Since you decided to forfeit the first round, let's hope your not a quitter this time. Here I go :

I want to start out by saying universal health care is not the solution to health care problems. First off, if you a believer that 45 million Americans are uninsured, stop smoking. Mark Steyln, a expert at Harvard University says that in that 45 million, 9 million aren't American, 9 million of them are actually insured, and 18 million of them are young and health and have no need for health insurance. The other millions left show to be wealthier than the average American. It shows that 37% of those without health insurance, that's 17 million, come from households that earn more than $50,000 a year. 19% or 8.7 billion of the uninsured come from households earning more than $75,000. So, for all of you crazy liberals that pull numbers out of nowhere, stop crying. Alright, I don't even know where to start with the problems behind it. First of all, it destroys our privacy. It will make everyone's problems our own. For example, if someone is eating unhealthy all the time, now we have to pay for them when they go to the doctor. Or if someone smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day, now it will be our problem when they get sent to the hospital. The quality of universal health care would be horrible. The doctors would no longer have an incentive to provide quality care. Drug companies will not be making as much money and will have to cut down on research for new medication. I'm going to give you a perfect example why government ran health care is not the answer. My uncle who is an Army veteran is able to go to the VA which is a hospital that provides free health care to veterans. Two months ago when he had an extreme pain in his arm, he went to the hospital to see what was going on. The doctor he had couldn't figure out what the problem was, imagine that, so he referred him to a specialized doctor. That's great, but the wait for the specialized doctor was 37 days. So, here is my uncle having to wait 37 days for an appointment, while having a pain in his arm. Another great example of why government sponsored health care doesn't work, is Medicare. Under Medicare, the government forces doctors to perform duties at a certain price. For example, there is a set rate they must do surgery at and such. To bypass this, many doctors won't even accept Medicare patients because they don't want to be doing work for less money than it is worth. Now, before you start saying that doctors are too greedy and don't need all the money realize that they must go to school for 8 years and then have 5-8 years of an internship and residency. That leaves doctors no younger than 31 before they can even start to make money. I would like to see how you would react when you have that many student loans to pay off.

We are definitely not the first country to think of this universal health care idea. There are many that are using it right now. For example, the great country of Canada. The one or two great stories you hear in the media does not mean it is working well for them. For example, a woman of Toronto had to give birth to quadruplets. The four girls ended up being born at a U.S. hospital because there was no space available at a Canadian neonatal intensive care unit. Is that what you would want to have to do when you're giving birth? Where would you run to, to give birth, can't go to Canada, can't stay here, is Mexico where you would want your kids being born? I sure hope not. On March 19th, 2005 Beth Duff-Brown reported in The Associated Press that a letter from a Canadian hospital to a New Brunswick heart patient in need of an electrocardiogram said that the appointment would be in three months, it also added "If there person named on this computer-generated letter is deceased, please accept out sincere apologies." Well, at least they give their sincere apologies hey? Oh wait, another example of why universal health care sucks. A 59-year old Ontario women on disability for a heart-related problem was complaining of age of discrimination after her local doctor rejected her. This was written on CTV.CA on March 17th, 2006.

So, Great Britain is another country with great health care…right? Wrong, John Carvel wrong in the Guardian Unlimited on June 8th, 2007 saying, "One in eight Britain hospital patients still have to wait more than a year for treatments, the government acknowledged yesterday in its first attempt to tell the truth about health services." Another writer wrong in the BBC news on May 9th, 2007 saying that a third of stroke patients in Great Britain are stuck for over 3 months just to hear when they will be given their treatment. I don't know about you, but I don't think I want to be leaving my health care up to the government like that.

Overall, you have to be crazy or communist to think universal health care is the key to the U.S. health care problems. There are many options that we can take to fix the problem instead of dealing with universal health care. The main thing we need to do is eliminate mandates. Mandates are things that the state and federal government require insurance policies to include. For example, there might be a mandate to have chiropractic service on your insurance policy. If we eliminate mandates, people buying health insurance can pick the things that they actually need and it will be much cheaper because they won't be paying for stuff that is useless. Another way to fix this problem is to control law suits against doctors. In this sue happy world we are in right now, baby doctors get sued all of the time if anything goes wrong in the labor. This leaves doctors needing more money which they get from the tax payers. I hope you all understand how serious universal health care is and realize it is not something you want to get the United States into.
the_conservative

Pro

the_conservative forfeited this round.
Conservative

Con

Well,

I know there isn't much to debate here. Everyone knows universal health care is not right. I thought he would at least have something to say. I guess not!
the_conservative

Pro

the_conservative forfeited this round.
Posted by the_conservative 9 years ago
the_conservative
and wow i just realized that i was the pro in this debate.......that sucks oh my aim is jkickham09 if that was meill debate again this time if you want or another debate....too make it fair so jerks like advocate wont say stuff without a fair "trial" persay?
Posted by the_conservative 9 years ago
the_conservative
wow advacate, i jsut accepted it and then i didnt have time to do it, anyways how are my things on my profile "liberal" Don't ever tell me what i dod and don't know. You can still be Conservative in general and have differnet viewpoints, if everybody in 2 parties had the same view on everytihng then this country would be doomed. Once again, i was gonna debate but time was a problem and then i saw that he had started another debate with another person....so i was kinda like "whats the point" ya know? jerk
Posted by Conservative 9 years ago
Conservative
The part of the debate is to try and help the stupidity of the person your debating...so let's make it private.
Posted by Derek.Gunn 9 years ago
Derek.Gunn
So much more interesting to have it public.
The comments are often the best part!
Let me know when you're ready to debate here.
Posted by Conservative 9 years ago
Conservative
The odds of him not being available for even 20 minutes in over 7 days...very unlikely. I am actually very busy right now with school. If you would like to debate on AIM or some sort of instant messaging service, I am willing to do that just send me your info.
Posted by Derek.Gunn 9 years ago
Derek.Gunn
Is it a "debate" when one side says nothing?
Is it not possible he wasn't able to reply? He may be in hospital for all we know.

Would you like a debate about the merits of universal health care?
Posted by Conservative 9 years ago
Conservative
It is pretty obvious he had nothing to come back with. Look at the DEBATE!! Do you see anything from him? NO? How much more obvious do you need? If you give me your address, I can come over and open your eyes up for you, because something isn't working there.
Posted by Derek.Gunn 9 years ago
Derek.Gunn
An exaggeration.
Yes, I have to agree with you there.

It's also and exaggeration to say there was a debate.
It's also and exaggeration to say that it is "obvious that he had nothing to come back with".
We just don't know do we?
It seems to me he put his time in elsewhere and never got around to replying. Still, he was just a 16 year-old.
How would you like to challenge someone a little older?
Posted by Conservative 9 years ago
Conservative
Get over it, it was exaggeration. I wouldn't go as far as saying the opposite, but nice try! Debate seemed to prove he had nothing to come back with...that was pretty obvious.
Posted by Derek.Gunn 9 years ago
Derek.Gunn
How then can you possibly say:
"Everyone knows universal health care is not right." ?

Surely it would be closer to the truth to say the opposite?
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
Conservativethe_conservativeTied
Vote Placed by Robert_Santurri 8 years ago
Robert_Santurri
Conservativethe_conservativeTied
Vote Placed by advidiun 9 years ago
advidiun
Conservativethe_conservativeTied
Vote Placed by ANSmith 9 years ago
ANSmith
Conservativethe_conservativeTied
Vote Placed by JTSmith 9 years ago
JTSmith
Conservativethe_conservativeTied
Vote Placed by Jamesothy 9 years ago
Jamesothy
Conservativethe_conservativeTied
Vote Placed by Labrat228 9 years ago
Labrat228
Conservativethe_conservativeTied
Vote Placed by the_conservative 9 years ago
the_conservative
Conservativethe_conservativeTied
Vote Placed by Derek.Gunn 9 years ago
Derek.Gunn
Conservativethe_conservativeTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
Conservativethe_conservativeTied