The_Coon_and_Friends
AndHisNameIs

The United States should follow Portugal's example and decriminalize all drugs.

The_Coon_and_Friends

The_Coon_and_Friends

Pro

The United States currently has roughly 2.2 million people incarcerated in jails and prisons. Over 50% of this 2.2 Million are serving time because of non-violent drug offenses. Because of the criminalization of drugs the United States now struggles with overcrowding in detention centers, budget issues for maintaining detention centers and enforcement agencies, and a recidivism rate of around 60%. Portugal in 2000 had similar laws to the United States and faced similar issues. This caused the Portuguese government to convene a panel of professionals to come up with a plan that called for the decriminalization of all drugs. They also said to take all the funding used in arresting, trials, and incarceration of drug offenders to be used for rehabilitation, psychological help, and employment assistance. These reforms have now led to a 50% decrease in drug use in the country.
AndHisNameIs

Con

Although I do agree that the U.S's drug policy is flawed,I do not believe outright decriminalization of drugs is necessary.
This is due to the fact that,when a country/state legalizes drugs,the amount of people that use it go up,for example,the states in America that smoke the most pot are also the states that have legalized pot as well I will provide a link at the bottom.Although I believe that marijuana should be legalized,for purposes that do not contribute to this debate,this shows us that if we legalize the drug,the drug's usage will go up.Although some drugs are more or less harmless,most aren't,and can do serious damage to yourself.Since marijuana has been legalized in Delaware for example,teens that have used marijuana once in their life went up to %46,compared to the whole of the U.S,it is different by %6,I will provide a link at the bottom.Some effects some drugs do to you,in my example I will be using heroin,obviously show that it gives you horrible negative outcomes.After the initial effects, users usually will be drowsy for several hours; mental function is clouded; heart function slows; and breathing is also severely slowed, sometimes enough to be life-threatening. Slowed breathing can also lead to coma and permanent brain damage,this is a quote I found online for the usage of heroine,wich I will have a link at the bottom.Thank you for reading my first argument.

1. http://www.cbsnews.com... (states that use marijuana)
2. http://www.drugabuse.gov... (heroin effects)
3. http://recovergateway.org... (more drug usage effects)
4. http://www.hhs.gov... (drug usage/marijuana usage for juniviles in Delaware)
The_Coon_and_Friends

Pro

I"m not trying to say that drugs are not bad and don"t cause major heath issues for those that use them.
What I am stating is that I we should decriminalize drugs and not prosecute addicts as criminals. Instead we should focus on rehabbing those individuals. By doing this we can actually curb the issues of having 60% of our prison population being incarcerated for drug offenses. Below is a link to an article I think you would find interesting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
AndHisNameIs

Con

Intresting point my friend, but just as I was unclear on what you were saying, so were you.You see, I don't have a problem against rehablilitation.But what I do have a problem with is the decriminalization of drugs in the U.S.You see, people won't go to rehabilitation because the drug is legalized,and nobody cares about it, as you can see in the article I will post below, since Portugal has decriminalized drugs,people that have been seeking rehabilitation has gone down as well.

http://www.emcdda.europa.eu...
The_Coon_and_Friends

Pro

Decriminalization of drugs is not making drugs available on the streets so that you can shoot down to your local super market and buy a bottle of Black Tar Heroin. Drug smugglers, manufactures, etc. are not given a green light to do their business. Instead what it means is not treating addicts as criminals. For example now when a person is contacted by law enforcement and found to have drugs in their possession depending on their record and/or the amount found in their possession they are immediately required to receive a mandatory sentence. They are then incarcerated in a local jail for any sentences 2 years or less and Federal or State prisons for anything more. While incarcerated there are minimal rehab programs for these individuals and obviously they can"t work so there is little meaning to their lives and nothing has been to help them overcome their addiction. So now comes recidivism you see the same people (usually of lower economic standing) never actually given a chance to overcome their addiction.

As in the case with Portugal after 15 years the country is actually posting that drug use is down by half of what it is. This is not something to make people care about drugs less but to change how people view drugs and the addicts of drugs. Like we have both previously stated drugs are bad and cause a variety of mental and physical health issues. People should be educated as to the affects of drugs and what they can and depending on the drugs will do to you.

I also must apologize for not adding more rounds to this debate I would really like to continue this as you have some interesting points.
AndHisNameIs

Con

I have enjoyed this debate as well.Your argument leads me to the point I made in the first and second argument, if someone has the option to do drugs with very small consequences for doing so, they will do it.Kind of like how we as small children would steal candy, if I knew my guardians sent me to my room for a day, I wouldn't risk it, but if I knew I'd get a slap on the hand and a stern "don't do it again" I probably would have done it at least once.We both have made some very good points, and my information in the second round was flawed, please disregard it.
Posted by AndHisNameIs 1 year ago
AndHisNameIs
Edit, I closed It for you.
Posted by AndHisNameIs 1 year ago
AndHisNameIs
Also I have an open debate on another subject right now, just go to my profile and look it up, i'll be happy to debate economics.
Posted by AndHisNameIs 1 year ago
AndHisNameIs
I had a lot of missed chances I could have used on it, but I'm a little tired of this subject, i'll debate anything else though.
Posted by The_Coon_and_Friends 1 year ago
The_Coon_and_Friends
Well I certainly appreciate you saying that. I certainly your point and understand where you're coming from. Would you be up for going into more of a debate on this topic in which we can focus on your point of a lack on penalization for drugs would result in more drug use? Thanks again for the debate.
Posted by AndHisNameIs 1 year ago
AndHisNameIs
On a sidenote, you have convinced me to your point off view, thanks for the debate man
Posted by AndHisNameIs 1 year ago
AndHisNameIs
WOOOPS my information is flawed.....SHIEEEET
Vote Placed by famousdebater 1 year ago
famousdebater
The_Coon_and_FriendsAndHisNameIsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con conceded to the fact that he now believes what Pro is saying and that he was convinced himself by Pro.