thomaswelsh1
sailbeyondthesun

The United States should have a more open boarder to immigration

thomaswelsh1

Pro

For the record I'm often conservative when it comes to economic and social issues but this is one of my exceptions.

For the topic I will primarily focus on the Latina and South American community and how acts like the Arizona Senate Bill 1070 should not be allowed. Having open boarders increase the population and overtime strengthen the economy.
sailbeyondthesun

Con

I disagree.
I'm using the lifeboat ethics perspective in my argument. I'm arguing for we have a precious lifeboat to look after(our country), and I stand resolved to restrict and lessen the people that "hop aboard" or immigrate here.

Our economy is being hindered by policy, bipartisanship, and unregulated financial industries, bought congress's, etc. If somehow we can over come these problems, (through tons of non-foreseeable political action) we can assure a prosperous future for the people already here, and more prosperous a people are, the more they can afford to be generous. See the scandinavian countries and most of europe. At this very moment in history, there shouldn't be a main push for immigration reform, seeing the scarcity of political capital and urgent pressing and ignored issues.

According to the latest release(May 2013) of Census data on US population projections, the US population is on track to reach 400 million by 2050(1). Meaning we will have gained another 100 million in 40 years. I understand America has wide open spaces, but that doesn't justify cramming as much population as we can into another.
Despite the fracking and shale revolutions, we seem to have hit peak oil.
Around the world,even though new wells are being found and shale and fracking look both promising and problematic, the reality is that global"production is still falling at 4.1%." (2)The last thing we need is more people in our country that is going to drive up american oil demand. (3)

Our current immigration policy We actually ought to stop sucking up the worlds talent by restricting visas, thereby assuring places in need keep their professional talent longer, while the demand for specialists will act as an incentive for the us workforce to enter college/specialty training.

We ought to focus instead on more important issues than a full on immigration reform.
As a sovereign nation, we can of course decide our rate of immigration, we should have quotas we allow in.
We have the right to decide who and what comes into our territory in the end as do any people claimants of sovereign land.

Citations:

1. http://www.census.gov...

2. http://www.theguardian.com...

3. http://www.npg.org... pg 4
thomaswelsh1

Pro

thomaswelsh1 forfeited this round.
sailbeyondthesun

Con

sailbeyondthesun forfeited this round.
thomaswelsh1

Pro

thomaswelsh1 forfeited this round.
sailbeyondthesun

Con

sailbeyondthesun forfeited this round.
Posted by sailbeyondthesun 3 years ago
sailbeyondthesun
Lol, I come off as incoherent sometimes. I apologize.
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
I agree.