kurosakiichigo
TheProver

The Universe was created by God

kurosakiichigo

kurosakiichigo

Con

Well, this debate is about the creation of the universe. I want to firstly define the specifics of this debate...
Round 1 is acceptance,
Round 2 is arguments
Round 3 is arguments and rebuttals,
Round 4 is conclusion
I will be on the side that God didn't create the Universe.
And, to define a few terms, God is the being whom, according to some religions, created the universe.
The universe is the place all around Earth, including the creatures on Earth.
This is an open debate... I hope that my opponent has fun, and good luck ^^
TheProver

Pro

Hello, I accept your challenge and hope we make this a clean debate. I am an American Christian and will be defending God's existence.
kurosakiichigo

Con

All right... So I'll begin my arguments..

So, since my opponent is a Christian, I believe that I should go with the Christian version of the superstition...

"At first the earth was shapeless and covered in darkness, and God's spirit hovered over the waters. God said, "Let there be light". And there was light. God divided the day from the night, naming them ' day' and 'night'. This was the first day and God saw that it was good. On the second day God made the heavens to separate the water from the earth and on the third day he raised the dry land up from the waters below the heavens and commanded the earth to bring forth all plants. God saw that it was good. God then made the greater light for the day and the lesser light for the night, and he saw hat it was good. This was the fourth day. On the fifth day God commanded the waters to fill with living creatures and the air to fill with birds. And he was pleased with what he saw. On the sixth day God commanded the earth to bring forth all kinds of living creatures and he saw that it was good. God then said " Let us make man in our own image". So God created man and woman in his own likeness and gave them authority over all living things. God looked at everything he had made and was very pleased. On the seventh day, God rested." (http://www.innovationslearning.co.uk...)

I believe that this is it. However, no one can exactly prove that god has created the universe in this way. Like, there is no proof except for perhaps, the Bible. However, the Bible isn't what we can call unbiased.. No offense, but it was written by people connected to god, or so they say, so, it isn't a very reliable source. However, there are more scientific and realistic theories other than God's creation theory like the big bang theory.

The big bang theory is the theory that a great explosion happened, blasting the space dust around, and gradually, these dust came together by the forces of gravity, gradually getting larger and larger, until they finally made planets, stars, comets, etc.

However, there are some flaws to the creation of the universe according to Christianity- First, it only seems to be centered on Earth. There are many other planet in the universe, but it doesn't seem to explain about their creation. And also, it seems to be a bit vague on terms such as shapeless, since if God hovered over the waters, then it must have had some kind of shape. Also, it doesn't explain dinosaurs, since according to the story, creation only took a week, with humans appearing on the sixth day. We already know by concrete scientific analogies that humans and dinosaurs lived in a separate era, many thousands, no millions of years apart. How could this be? Also, according to the Genesis books, the Earth only seems to be about 6000 years old. This is completely wrong, since even the last dinosaurs died out at about 65 million years ago.
TheProver

Pro

First off, I enjoyed reading your side of the argument and everything you said made a good logical point, not that I believe everything, your point was made. I want to quote one thing from the Bible: " On the sixth day God commanded the earth to bring forth all kinds of living creatures and he saw that it was good. God then said " Let us make man in our own image". So God created man and woman in his own likeness and gave them authority over all living things. " As a Christian, faith and God's word is what we have, so everything in the Bible we believe. I've never actually heard that the Bible exactly says that the universe is 6,000 years old, but I know that it's not Billions of years old either. Most of the time when you carbon date, the results come back different than the first time you tried, thus resulting in never knowing the correct year of what something is, and in your case Dinosaurs. Since I would like to quote this one line from Genesis it says; "On the sixth day God commanded the earth to bring forth all kinds of living creatures and he saw that it was good. " Which means that God commanded all living creatures to the Earth, INCLUDING Dinosaurs. So to answer another one of your "Flaws" that you believe, I can say for myself, that I believe humans and Dinosaurs lived in the same time according to God's word. And If you have ever read the story of Noah, God flooded the Earth to wipe out creation because of how evil it was, but he chose Noah because he was a firm believer. So my theory is that when the flood came, that's when the Dinosaurs were wiped out. And briefly, you said that if God hovered over the waters there must have been some shape to Earth? Well, since we believe God exists today, and he has no shape, so there must have been no shape to him back then either. And now, to link your belief of the Big Bang in, I actually believe that what the Big Bang is, is linked to God, When God Spoke, "Let there be light!" The Universe exploded resulting in the Big Bang and since the Big Bang happened so quickly, and since God created it all in one day, they can link together. And back to your thought about the Bible being biased considering the Disciples being close to Jesus. That is even better because we believe God keeps his word, so if the Disciples were closer to God, they know even more about him, thus we can learn and know more as well.
kurosakiichigo

Con

kurosakiichigo forfeited this round.
TheProver

Pro

TheProver forfeited this round.
kurosakiichigo

Con

Well, I've read through your arguments...
I know that the Bible doesn't say anything about the age of the Earth. However, according to https://answersingenesis.org...
it states that...
"Let"s do a rough calculation to show how this works. The age of the earth can be estimated by taking the first five days of creation (from earth"s creation to Adam), then following the genealogies from Adam to Abraham in Genesis 5 and 11, then adding in the time from Abraham to today.

Adam was created on day 6, so there were five days before him. If we add up the dates from Adam to Abraham, we get about 2,000 years, using the Masoretic Hebrew text of Genesis 5 and 11.3 Whether Christian or secular, most scholars would agree that Abraham lived about 2,000 B.C. (4,000 years ago).

So a simple calculation is:

5 days
+ ~2,000 years
+ ~4,000 years

~6,000 years "
By this, the flaw of the Creationism is confirmed. Also, humans and dinosaurs can't have lived at the same time since mammals were very tiny at the time when dinosaurs ruled, and these mammals evolved into nowadays creatures after a long time of evolving. This will certainly prove my point, I believe.
TheProver

Pro

TheProver forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
kurosakiichigoTheProverTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture