SnaxAttack
Cbnel92

The Victim, of a school Bully, should be allowed to retaliate without any charges.

SnaxAttack

Pro

This debate is whether or not a victim of bullying should be allowed to retaliate to a school bully without any charges (Suspension, Expelled, etc.)

Rules:

No forfeits, unless both sides forfeit the same amount of rounds; then it is fair game.
No foul language of any kind, both sides must respect each other.
No Trolls please!
If you use a source, post its link in a "Source Category".
Any rules broken is an automatic disqualification for the individual who broke the rules.

Structure:
Round 1: Acceptance and any questions for clarification (Please post in the comment section).
Round 2: Opening Argument (Please Keep it Short) for both Pro and Con, except Con can Rebuttal this round if they choose.
Round 3: Both sides Rebuttal
Round 4: Pro Rebuttals and states his or her Conclusion and can Rebuttal if they choose to do so, while Con will just have to state his or her Conclusion only.

Definitions:
Victim: A person harmed, injured, or even killed as a result of some form of punishment. In this case, a school bully inflicting pain.

School Bully: A person who uses strength or power to harm or intimidate those who are weaker. In this case, school.

Allowed: Admit (an event or activity) as legal or acceptable

Retaliate: Make an attack or assault in return for a similar attack.

Charges: Accuse (someone) of something, especially an offense under law

Good luck to whoever accepts!
Cbnel92

Con

I am really new to this and debating in general. However, my opponent has a good track record and after reading their other debates, I am sure I will be treated with respect. I have already participated in one debate and forfeited simply because I forgot about it, so please don't think I will make that mistake again. Just to reiterate, I myself am not familiar with some of the more proper techniques or layouts of debating, and if you have any criticism or tips I would appreciate it.

Just for clarity, I find that this particular subject is difficult to quantify and put numbers or statistics into. I don't want to rely purely on personal experiences or "well my friend.." type of "sources". However I am always trying to bring myself to a level of understanding for my fellow humans and won't submit to personal attacks or discredit anything personally.

I am a little worried on the muddy definition of School Bully: A person who uses strength or power to harm or intimidate those who are weaker. In this case, school.

Physicality is by far the most threatening, however mentally or verbally bullying someone can even be just as damaging. If this falls into the debate I will make sure to bring it up but I just wanted to state this.
SnaxAttack

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate, and will wish him good luck. Before I begin my argument, I wish to fulfill some requests by my opponent. My opponent admits that he is new to debate, which I will gladly welcome him to this form of art. My opponent does not really know the debate terminology, and will gladly explain it when it is used. For this debate, I will not bring in personal experience but facts to support my argument.

For the definition of "School Bully", it will be changed to represent both physical and verbal abusement to the victim within school. If my opponent is fine with this, please accept it in the next round. Now to my argument!

To begin, I wish to bring a statistic about the percentage of school bullying in the U.S. Stated from "National Bullying Preventation Center"(1), it states: "One out of every four students (22%) report being bullied during the school year (National Center for Educational Statistics, 2015)". That is sad within society when 1/5th of students are being bullied. There are even more statistics about how depressing this subject has become, like one of the statistic was: "64 percent of children who were bullied did not report it; only 36 percent reported the bullying (Petrosina, Guckenburg, DeVoe, and Hanson, 2010)". Why do students just not report that they are getting bullied? There are two main reasons, and this falls into the position I stand within the debate.

First off, stated from the article "8 Reasons why Victims of Bullying do Not Tell" (2), it says that one of the eight reasons is: "Afraid the bully will retaliate". Kids are afraid of standing up for themselves because of the modern system nowadays. That modern system being "To report a bully to a teacher". This brings me to my second reason why kids doin't report bullying, which is that nothing really happens. So lets just say someone actually did report a bully, would it be effective. In reality, it would not because stated under "Bullying Resources and Information" (3), it states: "Two-thirds of victims felt that staff responded poorly when they reported bullying. Only 6% believed the report was handled very well". That is very sad when the teachers cannot help, and because of this; students need to take action.

How should they take action? The best appropiate response is to fight back when recieving any physical harm, but currently has failed because of policy's being "No Violence". One example is that in 2012, a boy fought back to a bully and got suspended. This is what the article (4) says: "A nine year old boy won't be at school in the morning. He was suspended for fighting back against a bully. There’s a visible mark on third grader Nathan Pemberton’s cheek and eye after he got into the scuffle at school Tuesday. He told 11 News he knows violence is not the answer, but he just couldn't take the bullying anymore". I agree that violence should never be an instantaneous answer for handling situations, but if no one is helping out; you should have a right to take charge.

The best part, it has been proven to work for most cases except the student is punished for actually doing something that teachers have failed to do. Quoted within the following article (5), it brings in a quote that says: "I went to Catholic school. Got bullied. Told Dad. He said, knock him in the mouth. He will leave you alone. Next day I got bullied. Punched Billy in the mouth. End of story. We are best friends today and I haven't been bullied since". If we as a society can allow this tiny bit of violence, it will be well worth it in the future.

With that, I wish my opponent good luck in the next round. To clarify with my opponent, in this round you have to post your opening argument and please keep it short. You will also have the choice to rebuttal if you want to within the next round. A rebuttal is basically a counter argument that you can use against my case. For more information on how the rounds work, please look at the structure section that I posted in the first round. Once more, good luck!

1. http://www.pacer.org...
2. http://bullying.about.com...
3. http://www.ochumanrelations.org...
4. http://www.kktv.com...
5. http://www.cnn.com...
Cbnel92

Con

Cbnel92 forfeited this round.
SnaxAttack

Pro

Voters, here is something ironic about my opponent not arguing last round. My opponent said in the first round:

"I have already participated in one debate and forfeited simply because I forgot about it, so please don't think I will make that mistake again".
Cbnel92

Con

Cbnel92 forfeited this round.
Cbnel92

Con

Cbnel92 forfeited this round.
Posted by ax123man 1 year ago
ax123man
I'll take it if you shorten it a bit. I don't think we need 10k for this debate. Should be relatively short. I have other debates going also.
Posted by SnaxAttack 1 year ago
SnaxAttack
You choice if you want to accept.
Posted by Jonnykelly 1 year ago
Jonnykelly
I might take this
Posted by Jonnykelly 1 year ago
Jonnykelly
I might take this