Nyx999
lannan13

The Vietnam War was a good idea.

lannan13

Nyx999

Con

Hi, the first round is acceptance, the second round is arguments, and the third round is rebuttals/conclusion. You will be arguing that the Vietnam War was a good idea, and I will be arguing that it was a terrible idea, and that we never should have done it.
Sources, I'm not that strict on sources, if you want to call me out on something I say and you may ask for a source and I will give one to you, and the same goes with you. Don't feel obliged to put on a source unless I ask it of you, you can just relax.
lannan13

Pro

I accept and look forward to a well thought out sophisticated debate. Your move.
Nyx999

Con

Nyx999 forfeited this round.
lannan13

Pro

I will now post my opinion on why I believe that the war in Vietnam was a good idea.

Communism

The Us interveened in Vietnam to prevent South Vietnam from being wiped off the face of the Earth and the fact that the US was trying to stop the spread of communism. Though the US failed in this attempt it was still a good idea for the US to interveen to prevent South Vietnam from being wiped off the face of the Earth. The spread of communism was also halted from speading elsewhere in Southern Asia where the only other nations there to turn to communism where Laos and Camboia. So the US actually succeeded by preventing communism from spreading to Burma and Thialand.
Nyx999

Con

O.k. I am terribly sorry I forfeited the other round, I just completely forgot about it! Anyway, I lost my time for my points, so I'll just rebuttal your points first, and try to work my points into my rebuttal.

Okay, I don't understand how half a country can be wiped off the face of the earth. North Vietnam and South Vietnam actually had a very good plan for settling their differences. They were going to vote. They were going to vote for a leader. Very democratic, right? And the leader, be it more capitalist or communist, would rule Vietnam. Of course, the U.S. intervened and hijacked the election, and put Diem in charge of South Vietnam, Minh became the leader of North Vietnam. And, during the Vietnam War, it turns out that a lot of South Vietnamers actually WANTED communism (so who knows how the election would have turned out had we not stuck our noses in their business) because a lot of South Vietnamers helped the Northerners. We wanted to force a tiny country halfway across the world to become capitalist, and ultimately we failed. And ultimately, because we wanted to stick our noses in their perfectly sane election, 5.475 million people were killed, 4 million of those were civillians, and we lost billions of dollars. Who knows? Maybe if we kept to ourselves and didn't try to countrol Vietnam, maybe they would be a prosperous and happy country, and maybe those 5.475 million would still be alive today.

http://www.vn-agentorange.org...
http://www.statisticbrain.com...
lannan13

Pro

Communism

Uhm... I believe my opponent is wrong here but lets prove that with first off to state that a) South Vietnam was a capitalist democracy. http://www.jstor.org... b) Northern Vietnam was communist http://geography.about.com... if you want to look at the facts of history so can easily see here that Con is wrong on most of history's most logical facts. Secondly we did not fail as the US did indeed prevent communism from spreading to much outside of Indochina in southwest Asia. As you can see from my last source that the US prevented communism from spreading into Cambodia, Burma, and even Indonesia. What do you call that? You can call it a success. Secondly communism is bad for the average citizen, just look at North Korea and see how they have massive malnutition. http://www.nytimes.com... you can see that the US has done the world a favor and prevented communism and world hunger from spreading into Southest Asia.

So with that you can see that our mission in Vietnam was a success and with that I urge you for a Pro vote.
Vote Placed by Subutai 4 years ago
Subutai
Nyx999lannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Stop it qopel.
Vote Placed by qopel 4 years ago
qopel
Nyx999lannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Loser
Vote Placed by Pennington 4 years ago
Pennington
Nyx999lannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro produced valid arguments and showed how communism was the driving force of Vietnam. Con would have did better if they did not FF. Conduct to Pro. S/G is a tie and sources is a tie.