1davey29
Branog

The Voting Age Limit Should be Lowered

Branog

1davey29

Pro

The voting age limit should be lowered from 18 (17 in some states) to 16 at most. My argument is that if you can learn to drive and be given the responsibility of a car, why can't you vote for a president? many people are sophisticated enough to vote even under the age of 16!

Format for debate:
Round 1: Opening statements
Round 2: Rebuttal
Round 3: Final statement
Branog

Con

Hello 1davey29, thank you for the interesting debate topic. I accept.

Voting is the process in which we choose the officials that will represent us, and requires a lot of thought. Through voting, we elect citizens into government offices and put our trust into them, and hope they will represent us correctly. Because this is such an important decision, I believe that the voting age should remain at 18 and not reduced to 17 or 16.

Thank you, and I hope that we can have a fun debate.
1davey29

Pro

How can the president accurately represent us if high schoolers, the very soon to be future of our country cannot vote and give their opinion? If 16-year-olds cannot vote, our president, who represents our country, will not accurately represent the people's opinion.
Branog

Con

I would like to once again thank my opponent for the debate.

_____________________________________________________________________

In 2012, only 51% of citizens 18-29 years old, let me repeat that, 18 THROUGH 29 years old, voted in the election. If so many 18-29 year old citizens already ignore their right to vote, what difference would it be to give 16-17 year old citizens the same right?

"My argument is that if you can learn to drive and be given the responsibility of a car, why can't you vote for a president?"
- 1davey29

Just because 16 year old people have the right to do some things, doesn't mean that they have the right to do everything. If all 16 year olds, for example, had the right to drink alcohol or serve on a jury, or even start their own families, let's face it: for most 16 year olds, it would be a disaster. However, if those rights were staggered to different age levels, they would become more mature and have more of a sense of responsibility. Some choices are just more complex then others, and in that case they must be given at a later level, so they get used to responsibility on a smaller scale before making big decisions.

"If 16-year-olds cannot vote, our president, who represents our country, will not accurately represent the people's opinion."
- 1davey29

It is incorrect to say that people vote according to their age, as many grandchildren and children vote according to their grandparent's and parent's views. The government does things that affect people of all age groups, but that doesn't mean, for example, a 12 year old should have the right to vote because new school policies affect them. Should toddlers have the right to vote because the government affects them too? No, because most parents can be trusted to make the best decision for the children.

Young people are also a lot more likely to misuse their vote, and use it in a foolish way. The youth would be more likely to vote for the president according to the celebrities that support the candidate, and not the candidate's actual views. While this is not true for all youth, you can be sure that there will be many young people abusing their vote.

Once again, I would like to thank my opponent for the debate.

Source(s): http://idebate.org...
1davey29

Pro

My opinion is that the voting age limit should be lowered to 16 as that is in the very center of the passage from childhood to adulthood. Many responsibilities are given to people at the age of 16 and I believe that voting for president should be one of them.
Branog

Con

In my opinion, the voting age would be better off staying the same. From the amount of young people already neglecting their right to vote, to potential of misuse of the vote, it is worthless and/or potentially disruptive to the voting system. Even though 16 year old kids do have several rights, voting is important, and therefore 16 year olds must be taught some responsibilities before they have the right to vote. Therefore, the voting age should remain at 18, and I think most people agree that lowering the voting age would be a risk that isn't worth it to take.

Thank you for the debate 1davey29.
Posted by benito_felipe 3 years ago
benito_felipe
I really don't think it should be lowered. Most teenagers are not informed on political issues.

Hell, most adults aren't informed either!

If the voting age is lowered, this should be along with greater education regarding politics and government. So voters can make informed decisions
Vote Placed by Seeginomikata 3 years ago
Seeginomikata
1davey29BranogTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not source. Con brought up the problems of youth voting, which outweigh a current problem that barely exists. I didn't think that pro's argument, even if correct, carried that much importance.
Vote Placed by Defro 3 years ago
Defro
1davey29BranogTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con provided strong arguments. Pro's were weak and vulnerable. I was very dissapointed because I could think of several points that could've helped Pro but he didn't bring it up.