CommunistRick
QandA

The Walking Dead is the best show produced by AMC, if not the best on television.

CommunistRick

Pro

The Walking Dead, starring Andrew Lincoln, Norman Reedus, and Steven Yeun, is one of, if not the best show on television. It stars excellent character development, it shows that a loving, compassionate Rick in Season 1, who now leaves other group members behind because of their choices. After losing everything in the mid-season finale, he needs Carl to be a man and provide for him. This is a show where characters don't have plot armor, we have had 5+ main characters die and are still going strong. I would like someone to prove me wrong, if that is possible.
QandA

Con

Hello and thank you for the debate opportunity.

I myself am a huge fan of the walking dead however I do not think it is AMC's best or the best on television at the moment.

For a show to be the best on television it would need to be near flawless. I feel that the Walking Dead has too many problems for it to be considered as THE BEST show on television.
I will present this argument presuming that you are up to to with the episodes.

Problems with the Walking Dead (Why it can't be considered as the best show on TV)

1. Not enough locations:
The entire series is about a zombie apocalypse, so the show could easily benefit from a larger scope that gives us a peek at the world beyond a few locations. There have been a minimal amount of locations which results in episodes feeling repetitive and stale. Not what you would expect from a zombie apocalypse show where the world is there to exploit. However, if the show is going to stick around the same few places for seasons on end, it needs to find a way to make the audience love those locations. For example, People get a warm feeling when they think about the ship serenity in Firefly or the bridge of the Enterprise in Star Trek. After 16 episodes spent in the prison in TWD, it still feels like a random collection of identical corridors and cells. There has to be a reason for the audience to want to spend time in this place.

2. Introducing characters just to kill them off shortly afterwards:
After finally giving a character like Axel a few interesting lines and moments, he was gunned down moments later. There was no time for the audience to feel a connection so it was just an aimless death. We see this a number of times throughout the show. it's very frustrating. If you want to have a body count, at least try to make us care about those bodies for longer than one scene. And the there is a serious habit of killing off a black character every time a new black actor joins the cast. It is annoying.

3. Lack of humour:
Even the greatest dramas of all time find time such as 'Breaking Bad,' 'The Sopranos,' 'Deadwood,' 'Lost,' 'Mad Men' and 'The Wire' all have frequent humour in them. Not asking for jokes, just a relief every once in a while. Of course by nature it's a doom and gloom show but lack of any humour results in the show being bland and often disappointing.

For these reasons I can't see hoe TWD can be considered as the best show on television compared to plenty of other contenders.

Now, part 2
Why TWD is not AMC,s best show:

I think that Breaking Bad is AMC's best show and I will now compare the two in light of being the best show on AMC.

The Walking Dead, in terms of action sequences, beats Breaking Bad, especially in both of the series first seasons. However, that's all it's really got on Breaking Bad. The Walking Dead has a good plot, surrounding itself upon the
"world's" apocalypse, there is times were the writers execute it well, and other times, execute very terribly. The writers even admitted to making characters make stupid decisions in order for the action to continue. Nobody wants to watch a show that's too forced.

Breaking Bad on the other hand is near perfection when it comes to execution. Also the writing, acting, and character development is genius. You feel all these emotions for the characters in Breaking Bad that I didn't feel in The Walking Dead. If someone died in The Walking Dead, it didn't really affect me.

Also Breaking Bad has consistently beat The Walking Dead on reviews.

Taking all this into account I think the walking dead falls short of being AMC's best show.
CommunistRick

Pro

1. I think the lack of locations is not really a con to the show. The group held onto Herschel's farm for as long as they could, but the walkers came and conquered. From the estimated gap (roughly 8 months) from the end of season 2 to beginning of season 3, they did A LOT of moving around. I mean, this very first shot is of them taking a random house and searching for supplies. Then, they find the prison. The prison serves them well for a very long time, until the Governor tries (and fails) to take it, but instead destroys it.

2. Killing off character's is something that I think adds to the storyline. We meet the group of prisoners holed up in the cafeteria, and they are all killed within a few episodes. This helps demonstrate how those who are aren't prepared for the apocalypse are doomed. I mean, look at all the women in the show. Amy was dead in four episodes because she was defenseless and weak. Shane was a cop who knew how to shoot and survived until the end of season 2 (he would have survived longer if it weren't for Rick stabbing him). The people of Woodbury quickly died because they weren't ready, with everything being given to them on a platter by the Governor and his men. Michonne has survived this far because she was self-suffcient. I think a great question to ask (and one that Carol has to live by) is "could you survive on your skills or do you need someone else to help you?".

3. Sure, but the show isn't intended as humorous. It is intended as a show where people kill eachother to survive, although we have had some comedic relief. When the Governor killed a walker with a golf ball, I thought that was pretty funny. Also, both Dixon brothers (Daryl and Merle) confused Glenn's nationality which was pretty funny.

Best Show on AMC
I might agree with you in the fact that some AMC shows have something on Walking Dead. Breaking Bad (which I have seen as well) did quite a great job in just everything. Bryan Cranston was a great actor, which showed his gradual descent into madness from getting lung cancer. There was many aspects in the show, it showed how drugs were ruining every character's life, I think every character who had more than 3 appearances was affected in some way.
QandA

Con

Thank you for your response.
1. The constant locations result in repetitive boring and stale locations. Also like I said, if the show is going to continue reusing the same locations, then in order for this to be successful it has to make us love the locations, which I don't feel it does at all. You have not addressed this aspect yet.

2. Again like I said, I am talking about when the show introduces characters just to kill them off shortly after. That way, there is no way of us identifying with the strength or weakness of that character as there is little development of those characters for us to formulate an opinion. It is therefore just killing for the sake of killing/action.

3. I know the show isn't intended as humorous but having next to no humour in the show again makes it bland and often unappealing.

Best Show on AMC
I was a little confuse by your addressing of this aspect. Are you conceding that Breaking Bad is a better show than TWD and therefore TWD is not AMC's best show? It certainly sounds like that is what you are saying.
For example, you say

"I might agree with you in the fact that some AMC shows have something on Walking Dead"

And then you go on to talk about how great Breaking Bad is so this leads me to believe that you are including Breaking Bad as a show that has "something on TWD".

If this is the case then you have conceded the debate.
CommunistRick

Pro

CommunistRick forfeited this round.
QandA

Con

Opponent forfeit.
CommunistRick

Pro

CommunistRick forfeited this round.
QandA

Con

Opponent forfeit.
CommunistRick

Pro

CommunistRick forfeited this round.
QandA

Con

Opponent forfeit.