DisneyFTW
alto2osu

The Walt Disney Company is the greatest entertainment company of all time.

alto2osu

DisneyFTW

Pro

Its my first debate ever on this website, and I'm really excited about it!

It is my contention that The Walt Disney Company is the greatest entertainment company of all time. This is easily seen through the examination of its role in expanding the entertainment industry, and the companies overall influence in different entertainment markets.

Contention 1: The Walt Disney Company is responsible for revolutionizing the entertainment industry.

Subpoint A. In 1937, Disney released Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the first full length color animated feature that the world had ever seen. The film was extremely well received by many entertainment giants, including Shirley Temple, Charlie Chaplin, Ed Sullivan, John Barrymore, and Milton Berle. Since its release, it has made over $184 million dollars, making it one of the highest grossing money makers of all time. However, its importance cannot be judged from profits alone. The film proved the viability of the full length animated picture, and is therefore responsible for the existence of the genre as a whole.

Subpoint B. Disney revolutionized and redefined the theme park industry with the planning and theming of Disneyland. The opening of Disneyland in 1955 marked the first time that an amusement park truly became a theme park. The initial park had themed lands that were each distinct from one another, yet still all provided unique and revolutionary forms of entertainment. This bunching of lands had never been done so successfully before, and led to the majority of the theme park industry utilizing the themed lands concept. Without this jump, there is no doubt that the theme park industry as we know it today would not exist.

Contention 2: The Disney brand name extends into a vast variety of markets, making its reach more expansive than any other entertainment company.

Contrary to popular belief, Disney is not a company of only teen pop stars, old classical animated features, and theme parks. The Disney name extends into many markets that allow it to reach many different people. Disney owns all divisions of Disney Parks and Recreation, the Walt Disney Studios, and Disney-ABC Television Group. Under these umbrellas of ownership sit 5 different resorts, a successful Cruise Line, the ESPN sports networks, ABC Family and its family of networks, Marvel Comics, and a large number of television stations. Suffice it to say, the number of quality holdings that Disney owns is impressive, and helps solidify its position as the greatest entertainment company.

Through the examination of both the revolutions that the Walt Disney Company brought about, as well as the large number of influential holdings that the Company owns, it is very easy to see that The Walt Disney Company is the greatest entertainment company of all time.

I look forward to a great debate!
alto2osu

Con

First of all, I'd like to thank my opponent for writing this splendid debate. I apologize sincerely for my first lapse. It's explained in the comments. Now, onto arguments. I've tried to organize this as best I could.

Overview:

1. My opponent never sets a clear metric for what exactly constitutes the "greatest" of anything, in this case, of entertainment companies. He uses scattered examples, but never provides a central definition of this term to clarify what we may use to objectively weigh greatness. At the point where we don't actually have a standard to measure greatness within the debate, we can't effectively debate the resolution. That's a reason to vote Con on face, as no matter what the Pro does, he can't actually prove that he's affirming. Furthermore, he becomes a moving target for me, as he could introduce new standards of "greatness" at any time since the scope of the debate hasn't been properly narrowed.

2. If my opponent tries to claim that "greatness" is "expanding the entertainments industry" and its "overall influence in different entertainment markets," then see my observation, as I address that there.

Observation: I am not required to provide an independent counter-example of greatness in order to win this debate. I simply need to disprove my opponent's claims of greatness and/or convince the voters that we can't establish what "greatness" is anyway. I'll be doing both.

On Contention 1:

SUB A:
1. There are far more "influential" film companies to the history of animated film than the Disney company's full length feature release noted by my opponent. Take, for example, the innovators at Vitagraph who, in 1906, produced the first frame by frame animated film ever to be seen. Without their innovation, animation as we know it would not exist. The method used by Vitagraph in their film Humorous Phases of Funny Faces are still the same used today in animated feature films. (1)

2. Whether or not Snow White was the first animated feature film is up for debate. According to many film history aficionados, the first animated feature film was released in 1917 by Winsor McKay (Sinking of the Lusitania)—this assumes we define a feature film as a film produced with the intention of being the main form of entertainment in a single theatrical showing (as opposed to an introductory short film). (2) While not considered "full length," Snow White was in fact pre-dated by other animated feature films. Snow White was definitely not without its revolutionary aspects, but the animated feature film genre was, in fact, started by the likes of McKay and his European counterparts (like George Melies).

SUB B:
1. Again my opponent makes the unwarranted assertion that a huge slice of the entertainment industry would not exist if Disney hadn't done "x" with it, when clearly Disney's ideas had predecessors that probably would have influenced the development of such entertainment exclusive of Disney's innovations. In fact, Disney took his inspiration for Disneyland from several pre-existing parks, including the famous Tivoli, in Denmark, which has been operational since 1843 (3). In fact, Denmark can also be credited with the first true amusement park, Bakken, which is still operational.

On Contention 2:

1. At the moment, Disney is beating out Time Warner and Viacom as the largest media company in the world. However, is this a fact to be celebrated or to be concerned about? Is it acceptable in a free market economy to condone such a monopoly on goods and services? Furthermore, how does it follow that the company that owns the most is automatically the greatest? Coca-Cola is the largest beverage manufacturer in the world, but after reading about what happens in their factories in third world countries, I would have a very hard time assigning them the label of "greatest beverage manufacturer." My opponent creates a false link between greatness and fiscal holdings.

2. If we look to philosophers like Noam Chomsky (who is argued by many to be the most important intellectual alive), he would tell us that vast control of mass media is incredibly detrimental to a free thinking society. Notice that Disney does not just deal in "entertainment." As the largest media company in the world, they deal in the transfer of "factual information" and news as well, news that is nationally syndicated. It, along with Viacom and Time Warner, is the company responsible for the manipulation of mass media. Being a huge, daunting conglomeration (i.e. a monopoly) only aids it in manipulating the population. Furthermore, Disney would then be actively contributing to the suppression of information via its monopolistic hold on the news market (in conjunction with Viacom and Time Warner).

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org...
(2) http://www.fi.edu...
(3) http://www.weitzlux.com...
DisneyFTW

Pro

Looks like this is going to be a great debate!

Greatness Defined:

What is greatness? Is greatness something that can be truly defined, or is it something that can only be defined by an individual's own views? My opponent asserts in her opening statements that I am at fault for not providing a true definition of greatness, but then doesn't provide any definition of greatness that is usable for debate. At the end of the day, what ‘defines' greatness is purely dependent on what each individual voter thinks. However, it is fair to say that great companies do great things.

The following are just a few of the definitions from Thefreedictionary.com of the word ‘great.'

1.Very large in size.
2.Larger in size than others of the same kind.
3.Remarkable or outstanding in magnitude, degree, or extent.
4.Superior in quality or character; noble
5.Of outstanding significance or importance

Taking these as definitions of ‘great,' it is quite simple to see that The Walt Disney Company fits the bill as "The Greatest Entertainment Company of all time."

Refutation of Observations:

As ‘greatness' for the sake of this debate is firmly established above, leaving my opponents assertion that "I am not required to provide an independent counter-example of greatness in order to win this debate." This begs the question, ‘If Disney is not the greatest, then what company is?' Therefore, it is the burden of the pro to prove that Disney is the greatest entertainment company of all time, while it is the burden of the con to prove that Disney is NOT the greatest entertainment company of all time through showing that there is some other company that is greater.
Now onto the case so far!

Sub-point A:

My opponent points out that Vitagraph was responsible for the first animated pictures. There is no doubt that this contribution to the animation industry is both ‘great' and necessary for Walt Disney animation to even exist. However, while Vitagraph did invent animation, it never produced an animated film that people today easily recognize. Disney took the animation technology and made it great. With Steamboat Willie, Disney became the first to add sound to his cartoons. This created a superior quality product, and was of outstanding significance and importance to the animation industry.

Interestingly enough, my opponents own second source seems to refute her own claims, stating that, "Walt Disney took animation to a new level." Furthermore, the source also states that "In 1937, he produced the first full length animated feature film, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs." My opponents second source disagrees with what my opponent says, upholding my first contention against her arguments. Walt Disney took animation and made it great, cementing the Walt Disney Companies' place as the greatest entertainment company of all time.

Sub-point B:

In my opponent's attacks on this contention, she notes from source 3 that Disney was not the first true "themed" park. However, this same source also declares "In 1955, Disneyland in Anaheim, California revived the amusement industry with its themed lands and matching attractions instead of using the older formula with traditional rides in one area and a midway, concessions, and sideshow attractions in another. The idea of theme parks caught on and, by the 1980s, became a billion dollar-a-year industry in the United States and around the world." While my opponent's source does point out that Disney was not the first "Themed" park, it does credit Disney with the revival of the amusement park industry. Thus, the causal link that my opponent requested is fulfilled, showing that The Walt Disney Company is responsible for the status of the theme park industry today.

Contention 2:

To say that Disney has a monopoly on the entire entertainment industry is ludicrous. A monopoly is defined by thefreedictionary.com as "Exclusive control by one group of the means of producing or selling a commodity or service." While Disney's market holdings are expansive, they are not exclusive. My opponent even cites Viacom and Time Warner as competitors that Disney is, ‘at the moment', beating out. Viacom and Time Warner are both constant competitors to Disney that can and do operate on the scale of Disney. However, by my opponents own admission, Disney is currently beating out Viacom and Time Warner, making it ‘Larger in size than others of the same kind,' one of the supplied definitions of great.

In the continuation of my opponents attack of sub-point 2, my opponent notes that Disney is not only involved in entertainment, but in the ‘transfer of factual information' as well. There is no denying this. However, my opponent would have you believe that Disney, along with Viacom and Time Warner, is responsible for the problem of media manipulation. This seemingly forgets the role that FOX News, CNN, MSNBC, CBS, and HLN play in the delivering of news to the masses. To say that Disney is responsible for the manipulation of information to a higher degree than these news networks is something that is impossible to believe.

With this information in hand, it is easy to see that the Walt Disney Company's expansive reach is one of the key reasons that it stands as the greatest entertainment company of all time. I strongly urge a pro ballot.

Thank you for reading this debate!
alto2osu

Con

Though my intention was to complete this debate fully, Friday afternoon marked the loss of something incredibly important to me. While no human life was lost, I'm struggling to manage a day-to-day existence at this point, and unfortunately this debate isn't possible for me to finish properly. I forfeit the remainder of the rounds to my opponent, and encourage votes for him when the voting period arrives. I hope he will add me, and appreciate him taking the time to write this debate.
DisneyFTW

Pro

It would be much appreciated if no one voted pro or con on this debate. Comments and criticism are welcome, but its not fair to vote with an incomplete debate.

Thank you all
alto2osu

Con

I very much appreciate my opponent's understanding in this situation, and I hope to offer him a challenge in the future.
Posted by DisneyFTW 6 years ago
DisneyFTW
I mean... War Eagle I guess.
Posted by alto2osu 6 years ago
alto2osu
Wow...so much for not having a debate winner. That's frustrating.
Posted by DisneyFTW 6 years ago
DisneyFTW
Comments are definitely welcome though.. Especially criticisms!
Posted by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
Both sides want a 0-0 tie. OK.
Posted by alto2osu 6 years ago
alto2osu
Lol. I did, and would have defended my multiple competitors for innovations to the entertainment industry had I had the time.
Posted by 1stLordofTheVenerability 6 years ago
1stLordofTheVenerability
Alto, this debate could have been quite enjoyable if you'd have raised some form of competitor for Disney. *sighs*
Posted by alto2osu 6 years ago
alto2osu
I went ahead and cast my vote as a tie. Hopefully, other mems will do the same.
Posted by DisneyFTW 6 years ago
DisneyFTW
I would REALLY rather this not show as a loss for you. Sometimes, crap just happens unexpectedly, and its not fair for anyone to expect for you to completely forget about your personal loss and post an argument for a pointless debate on this website, where nothing we ever debate will ever truly matter. If we live in a world where people care more about a debate record than they do about people's personal lives, then we live in a sad world indeed.
Posted by alto2osu 6 years ago
alto2osu
If you really want to, we can ask voters not to vote on it, or to keep the vote even. That would show a tie, which would not negatively affect our record as much as a loss for me. To be honest, I really don't mind. I'm the one who made the commitment and couldn't follow through. :s
Posted by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
As far as I know, there is no way to erase a debate. There is forum thread under debate.org where suggestions for site improvements are solicited; you might suggest something.
Vote Placed by Sonofkong 6 years ago
Sonofkong
DisneyFTWalto2osuTied
Reasons for voting decision: Neither party made an undestroyed pint yet I think that Disney IS (currently) a rotting mass of commercially biased news, teen pop stars who I want to chisel to death and the occasionally good pixar movie. Playboy is the best entertainment company of all time.
Vote Placed by mongoose 6 years ago
mongoose
DisneyFTWalto2osuTied
Reasons for voting decision: They want it.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
DisneyFTWalto2osuTied
Vote Placed by InquireTruth 6 years ago
InquireTruth
DisneyFTWalto2osuTied
Vote Placed by DisneyFTW 6 years ago
DisneyFTW
DisneyFTWalto2osuTied
Vote Placed by alto2osu 6 years ago
alto2osu
DisneyFTWalto2osuTied