Rob1Billion
Leonitus_Trujillo

The War on Drugs is unconstitutional, immoral, and a complete failure

Rob1Billion

Pro

First off, the war on drugs is unconstitutional. While the bill of rights does not specifically address this, the spirit of the document is that of keeping the government out of our personal lives. If someone wants to ingest chemical substances in the privacy of their own home, it may not be the healthiest thing to do, granted, but it is not the function of our government to interfere in activities that are completely personal to us and do not hurt anyone else by us doing them. By ignoring this important fact, we are prying open the door of tyranny and civil rights abuse. We, as United States citizens, are obligated to keep the government true in its duties to us by letting it know when it is overstepping its authority and voting accordingly. We have taken our eye off the ball on this issue, and it is time for action.

The three main reasons why proponents of the drug war justify this endeavor despite the obvious infraction of our basic civil liberties are:
1)Health detriments due to drug use
- It is not the governments job to tell us about our health; you cannot hope to outlaw every activity that may be unhealthy.
2)impairment of judgement due to drug use
- This is the strongest argument here, because you can affect others with impaired judgement, however it is an inherently flawed one. The ends absolutely never can justify the means, and that is what this argument essentially is. We might as well put all autistic individuals to death right away if we go down this road, and if the government is empowered to tell us what state of mind we should be in then we are in BIG trouble. We will have to make due with punishing individuals after the fact that hurt people while under the influence of mind-altering substances. This is the way our justice system works for every other crime; our justice system can only technically arrest people who have already committed crimes, not people who may be in the position to do so in the future.
3)general family values in contradiction with drug use.
- These "family values" arguments made by the christian right are especially distasteful, as they aim to dictate at the end of a gun how people should conduct the nuances of their lives. The family values arguments against drugs are similar in logic to the arguments against homosexuality. If homosexuals want to sodomize each other, its their own business. I hear people say "well I don't agree with homosexuality but its not right for the government to tell them what to do". NO ONE CARES whether you agree with it! Homosexuals are not knocking on peoples doors and asking them whether they agree with them! We are talking about passing laws here; if you pass laws based on opinions then you are taking the path towards dictatorship.

Secondly, The War on Drugs is immoral. The stories of cancer patients being raided by swat teams after states grant them the right to smoke to ease their pain is just the tip of the iceberg here; peoples civil liberties are being smashed to pieces in the name of the War on Drugs and a full third of our prisons are housing drug offenders. Drug addicts need help, not prison sentences.

And third, the war on drugs is a complete and utter failure. Countless billions of dollars spent, countless people's lives tarnished by drug convictions, and the average Joe can still walk two houses down and get any drug he could possibly want. Crack, cocaine, marijuana, extasy, heroine, acid, and mushrooms are so easily available that it is almost laughable. The main difference that the drug warriors have made for us, is that by keeping drugs illegal, you create an especially lucrative market for illegal drug dealers (especially foeign ones!). We could put every evil drug dealer in the world out of business practically overnight by decriminalizing drugs... but who wants to do that :P!! Furthermore, We cannot effectively help drug addicts while they are being persecuted as criminals. If drugs were legal, we could put strict controls on them, and "junkies" could be persuaded easily into safe havens where they could find the drugs, and under the supervision of professionals and doctors, they could get high in a place where they could not hurt anyone else.

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded"-Abraham Lincoln, 1840
Leonitus_Trujillo

Con

On second thought, School just started again, and I have to study for mid-terms exams. Can't pick up this debate though sorry. Sucks Im going to have to give up a debate. TO ROB
Rob1Billion

Pro

I start back soon as well, and this site is going to be a black hole for my study time... I really enjoy conversing with all of you on here, and no matter how well the debate goes, I always learn some valuable ideas. There is no better way to improve your arguments then to hash it out with someone who has a different perspective than you. After arguing with you guys, it will be a cinch to defeat people in my classes, who may make the mistake of disagreeing with me. If you ever have time leonitus, drop me a debate on anything I disagree with you on, and we can have it out.
Leonitus_Trujillo

Con

Leonitus_Trujillo forfeited this round.
Rob1Billion

Pro

If anyone is interested in this topic and wants to actually see a debate on it, go to my profile and you will find three other debates with this exact same title.
Leonitus_Trujillo

Con

Leonitus_Trujillo forfeited this round.
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
Wow leo, you are getting votes anyway! Don't bother arguing your case, man! YOu dont need to! You must be THAT GOOD! LOL. I look forward to debating you again in the future, make sure to drop me an argument when you get a break in your studies.
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
I don't see what changing my wording will do for you, I have the same premises no matter what. The War on drugs is wrong. Here is why. I am getting a lot of good counter-arguments from different people, and they all have unique perspectives that are proving to be very interesting. As far as originality, my arguments are 100% original and I'd appreciate if you didn't say that they're not just because I have used them more than once. That incinuates that I am plagarizing my arguments, which I know you do not mean. The reasons why I am arguing this debate are not going to change, so there is no reason why I should change my argument, unless of course, you can force me to by proving my arguments are bad. In that case, I will happily change my thesis. Furthermore, my opponents can cross-reference each argument to find my weaknesses even more easily than it would be if there were only one argument. They can even cite any bad arguments I use in other debates, to be held against me. This is unusual, granted, but I am an unusual type of person...
Posted by kels1123 8 years ago
kels1123
I didn't accept your challenge Rob , because you posted this exact debate to me as well. I will not debate on a debate that you are already having with someone else word for word. I am not interested. When you have an original debate , I'll consider it.
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
I have made a mistake, and I must apologize and remedy it, hopefully before you post your first argument. I will concede two of my points right away, because they have been refuted successfully by others and I admit they are wrong:

1) My homosexuals argument is a complete tangent, and I keep posting it on accident because I copy/paste my first round in to kick it off quickly.

2) I cannot support my argument effectively that Christians are responsible for my percieved "family values" problems with the gov't, and it is wrong to just point the finger at Christianity for the problem in general.

I do, however, still refute the fact that family values be used to pass policy. Sorry for the confusion.
Posted by molly.sandiego 8 years ago
molly.sandiego
150% agree with you so far, Rob.
Posted by Leonitus_Trujillo 8 years ago
Leonitus_Trujillo
are we becoming friends rob?- or just regulars?

lol, the rob-leo debates.
Vote Placed by U.n 9 months ago
U.n
Rob1BillionLeonitus_TrujilloTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeiture
Vote Placed by Rob1Billion 7 years ago
Rob1Billion
Rob1BillionLeonitus_TrujilloTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 8 years ago
kels1123
Rob1BillionLeonitus_TrujilloTied
Vote Placed by Lacan 8 years ago
Lacan
Rob1BillionLeonitus_TrujilloTied
Vote Placed by ma-debate 8 years ago
ma-debate
Rob1BillionLeonitus_TrujilloTied
Vote Placed by yoon172 8 years ago
yoon172
Rob1BillionLeonitus_TrujilloTied
Vote Placed by DucoNihilum 8 years ago
DucoNihilum
Rob1BillionLeonitus_TrujilloTied
Vote Placed by tjzimmer 8 years ago
tjzimmer
Rob1BillionLeonitus_TrujilloTied
Vote Placed by Pluto2493 8 years ago
Pluto2493
Rob1BillionLeonitus_TrujilloTied
Vote Placed by smartcookie1884 8 years ago
smartcookie1884
Rob1BillionLeonitus_TrujilloTied