Tobyharper333
Jkooch11b

The War on Terror is a failed war

Tobyharper333

Pro

The war on Terror is a failed war without a doubt. Not only does it increase the likeability of another 9/11 disaster and therefore does the opposite of what it was supposed to do (protect the people), but it also a war which has failed to bring resolutions and was based on little investigation. I have Ron Paul at my side in this debate, and evidence from General Wesley Shark that this war was based on little evidence and is being fought on unjust means. After the dreadful attacks on September 11th, I believe many people including myself wanted to have an answer, we wanted someone to be blamed and to be punished, no matter who it was, it had to be someone. We've deluded ourselves into thinking that we're keeping ourselves safe by going to more and more wars but its totally wrong. We'd be safer if we didn't have troops out fighting.
Jkooch11b

Con

The attacks of 9/11 were not caused by our involvement, but vice versa. We became heavily involved in Iraq and Afghanistan due to the 9/11 attacks. Al-Qaeda-the organization responsible for the 9/11 attacks-doesn't care whether or not they hurt, kill, and even torture innocent human beings. They are only concerned with their own agendas and goals. Their supporter-mainly The Taliban-has a very similar view. They do not concern themselves with the well being of their victims, but are focused only on what they can gain for themselves;fueled by a radical view on Islam and Sharia Law. The war on Terror is a not a lost war-it isn't even over. The people of Afghanistan needed help, and with our involvement in their country, we did not "invade their homeland", as some would say; we helped to liberate them. The Taliban and Al-Qaeda have been occupying their homes for years before the 9/11 attacks, and when we took action against those terrorists, we showed the people of Afghanistan that they still have a chance. We are not fighting the Government of Afghanistan, or the people of Afghanistan. We are fighting that which causes fear throughout those people.
Tobyharper333

Pro

I agree with your statement that the Taliban are a ruthless group of individuals. However if we look at the real reasons for entering Afghanistan, that of an aggressive leader Suddam Hussein and the weapons of mass destruction which have now been proved to be a failure of intelligence. Yes I think it is good to put an end to aggressive leaders, but can I pose the question why it is America or any other country in the world do not go to the aid of Zimbabwe, where the leader is committing the same crimes as Suddam and Gaddafi? War is very profitable to a certain few, The middle east and northern Africa have their uses for many raw materials whereas landlocked southern African countries do not. I would also like Con to take a moment to perhaps sympathize with the people in these countries. How would you feel if you had a foreign Drone circling your homes? The amount of innocent civilians which have been killed in the drone attacks is not something you can hide from, these are facts. If you were a Afghan or Pakistani person, and a family member of yours was killed by a drone strike, do you not think this will increase the aggression towards the Drone controllers? The whole idea of protection is hypocrisy at its worst. It creates more danger than it extinguishes. I wish I believed what you are telling me Con, and I suspect most Americans see the war on terror bringing democracy to countries who don't have it. But im afraid its the opposite, and brings more and more danger to the American Society and has only resulted in the extinction of one tyrant, but I'm sure the war will only encourage more tyrants to stand up to the foreign intervention. The terrorists weren't even from Afghanistan, Bin Laden was a Saudi! You talk about how the Al-Qaeda torture; well I'm afraid to say that even our wonderful and democratic country tortures. I would like to bring this into the argument. Please watch it, I would like to hear your views.
Jkooch11b

Con

I first want to say that we are not in Afghanistan because of Saddam. He was the dictator of Iraq from 1979-2003, and raped and killed his own people. We took particular interest in this situation, not because of oil, but because he was a threat to our allies in Israel, Kuwait, and his own innocent people. In response to your claim that we do nothing for the people victim to African Warlords (I know you said Zimbabwe, but there are warlords all over Africa) Operation: Gothic Serpent, a.k.a. "Black hawk Down", was in effort to help the people of Mogadishu, Somalia, who were being enslaved and starved by a warlord, and we helped those people with necessary action against the warlord. In addition, we are not the only ones in Afghanistan. Many other countries are there with us, such as, Canada, Britain, Australia, and even the Afghan troops fighting the Taliban with us. The drone strikes are deadly and dangerous because they are not controllable or able to specifically comprehend whether or not someone is a threat, or just a man walking home from the market with his rifle. Soldiers do have that ability. They can determine whether or not an individual is a threat to themselves, fellow Soldiers, or the civilians around them. Bullets don't generally cause the amount of collateral damage that a blast from a drone strike would. Am I condoning the loss of civilian life? Absolutely not; but that is one reason why it's a war. Wars are ugly, and war is hell
Tobyharper333

Pro

I apologize for my error, I of course meant Iraq. I agree there are some positive motives behind wars, such as the one you describe, and admittedly there are good reasons behind most of the operations. But when 100,000 Iraqi civilians are directly killed by the U.S. invasion; a military invasion designed to find non-existent WMDs there has to be some point where you say, okay, this has failed. What threat did he pose to Israel? Israel has broke 65 U.N resolutions with no consequences , Iraq broke two and got invaded, bombed and destroyed. Israel has camps close to that of the Nazis for people of Sudan looking for work and freedom. The US are Allies with Israel because it gives them a ticket to Middle East. War is a uniting force, every country in the history of mankind has needed a war to unite them, and Bush was insanely unpopular but I won't go into that. You said 'The drone strikes are deadly and dangerous because they are not controllable or able to specifically comprehend whether or not someone is a threat', doesn't that support the view of getting rid of them? 2,043 Pakistanis have been slain in CIA drone strikes, 98% of whom have been civilians. This will only lead to more terror, and what worries me that if I can see that and many others can see that, and Ron Paul has tried to voice that, the people in charge must know it will only lead to more terror. This makes me question the whole operation much more. There is no 'winning' this war on Terror. Why I mentioned Zimbabwe was to highlight the hypocrisy of many nations. UN jumped at the opportunity to sort Libya out, if they applied the same intelligence and force to African nations with devastating leaders as they did to the middle east, maybe it wouldn't bother me as much because at least its intentions are good and worldwide. Do you not wonder why the majority of countries that are invaded have huge amounts of wealth beneath them, or is this some myth and we're truly trying to bring 'democracy' to the peopl
Jkooch11b

Con

We did not invade Afghanistan because of WMD's, you're thinking of Iraq again. You brought up the topic of The War on Terror, which mainly refers to Afghanistan-yet you are referring to Iraq and Pakistan. As I said, I do not condone the Drone strikes one bit, so I do not know why you keep referring to the drone strikes-yes they are bad, but it's war, what do you expect? A friend of mine was deployed to Iraq, and he told me that when he was there, the looks on the faces of the people that walked the streets were the most desperate and scared faces he had ever seen-not because of the Troops that were there, they thanked the troops whenever they had the chance-but because they knew that if a gunfight broke out they could get caught in the crossfire. My friend, who we'll call Jeff, put himself between two women and 6 children, and insurgents-he made himself a human shield for them. To say that the War on Terror is failed is ridiculous. It does not matter WHY the troops are sent to Afghanistan or WHY they were in Iraq; what matters is WHAT they're doing there. If they were sent there for oil and resources, it doesn't matter because that's not what they're actually doing there. If troops were sent to Afghanistan to kill everyone there and to take the resources, but instead they protect the people from threats and give them what they desperately need, it's a Victory in my book.
Posted by Tophatdoc 3 years ago
Tophatdoc
Are some of these commenters part of the underground rebellion with anonymouse? LOL
Posted by ararmer1919 3 years ago
ararmer1919
Laughed my arse off for a good 5 minutes after reading the comment below. This right here folks is why humanity has no and deserves no future. Little boy (Somecrap) please stay out if adult conversations until you've received an education. Lol
Posted by Somecrap 3 years ago
Somecrap
"WAR ON TERROR" is just a smoke screen propaganda the goverment creates to shock the masses to for justifying their invasion to foreign lands. the real threatened people for terrorism is the people who is living the undergoing wars in pakistan afganistan yemen sumaila iraq... the americans have no f@cking sh1t to scare off, they r not scared to go to cenamas,pubs, public places malls etc.. the real victims is who is livnig on the other side mom in iraq concern for his childrens to go to school without blowing thier head off, and those westren militaries creates the terrors by terrorizing the masses, the funny thing is the terrorts saying specifcly they attacking westren targets because their lands have been stolen by westren powers, and the media trying to blame islam and the people buying it.. forgeting up to 1400 years islam was existed. there are more than 1,000 US military bases dotting the globe, stealing the resources of the other and saying we r 'freedom fighter' and 'democracy' in my @ss. stupid muslim counters like suadia arbia assisting us military to fight against other muslims not realizing they r the next target and standing on the firing line!
Posted by UtherPenguin 3 years ago
UtherPenguin
I would have liked to joined this debate but I already think the War on Terror was a failed war (unnecessary as well)
Posted by Neuropatrol 3 years ago
Neuropatrol
Well, it's not a failed war for the military-industrial complex.