THEENDOFTIME
CANNON0Man

The Way video games are demonized in the news

Started: 3/4/2014 Category: Technology

THEENDOFTIME

Con

I don't believe that the way the news makes gaming look. They use gaming as a reason for mass murders and violence in the world and saying that people should have monitored play time and watch their purchases this is moronic. Anyone that has a functioning brain should realize that gaming is an entertainment medium nothing more and they never decide to talk about the mental illnesses of these people most if not all of them have been diagnosed with one or more mental or psychological traumas and illnesses. Another part of this is the fact that they attack gaming all the time going as far to say it causes cancer just to try and make dumb parents swoop their kids away from gaming. This could also be an effect of gaming being a widely popular use of entertainment pretty much stomping the competition of television or movies and other things like that mostly because it's and interactive experience more in depth and enjoyable then anything else cause you're involved in it. The news is taking hits at gaming and it only makes them look dumb no piece of entertainment inspires people to go and do mass killings unless under influence of mental disability and any news outlet saying other wise is full of contrived slobbering idiots.
CANNON0Man

Pro

The news does show a good point. Now most of the popular game includes killing or sports. People are just trying to stat that these games are not that great. This is putting an allusion that killing is fun. That is total bad because there are so many gun jokes and threats. Why its because these games are turning them into it. At least sports games can make them fit or have a fantasy dream team. Games are also additive and cause headaches. It is just putting other peoples thoughts out there. You can get a column that supports it if your that desperate. This is why the news does not matter.
THEENDOFTIME

Con

Well games aren't at all making killing glamorized all publishers and developers all just want to give the player an enjoyable experience and not to make killing look good and on top of that reason games exist is to have these power fantasy's that can't and shouldn't be done in real life and I've played video games since I was 5 and I have never came with intent of hurting someone because I don't have a weak mind most people don't let video games change them but I do agree with you on the fact the news doesn't matter but the more the news says something to more idiots believe it and the more strikes and anti-gaming groups get started. Games are meant as entertainment not to make you think killing is fun :/
CANNON0Man

Pro

Okay yes I have played these games to. But I have notice that there is more bullying,sex jokes,bad language in them than reality. This has made me concerned. Some people are fine but on minecraft were there is no blocks people can say what they want bully and not get punished because you have a shield at your identity. Some people have this behaviour in the real world.
In 6th grade for me these "jokes" started coming a lot. For my dad it was much later. People can download free games that have violence and content that they should not be seeing. I have seen a first grader playing grand theft auto. How he downloaded it on an ipod for free. People think this is alarming and I don't blame them
THEENDOFTIME

Con

Well Yes it is concerning that a First grader is playing GTA and also the jokes and such on an online venue such as minecraft doesn't reflect the gaming community it reflects upon the person playing the game and as for kids playing these violent games it's up to the parents to watch what they do and what they are viewing as a parent they take that responsibility to do so. As for the no blocks that's because servers can allow people to do as they like they control that server they can put restrictions on them if they like but it's up to the person in question and most servers prohibit the use of bad language or bullying. And yes lots of games have violence in them but think of this GTA V is a massive piece of social commentary you may ask how well it's meant to parody and reflect upon our real life society and make fun of it the how women are sexualized in the real world and are always used as sexual objects in commercials it talks about that the corrupt politics the moral issue of torture the way our world is bred of violence and injustice GTAV takes a kicking at all of that it has been way more involving and telling us about what's going on then any anti-gaming piece ever has and people who get angry and throw there profound cuss words and speeches at GTA cause there kid got hold of it should just be better parents and as for getting punished on the Internet as I said before many servers on any game can be monitored and they can get banned or kicked to stop bullying online
CANNON0Man

Pro

First I want to say I have enjoyed this debate and this is a good topic. Now I want to talk about one more thing witch I think is the reason the news demonizes it. Some games are easy to download and you don't need that much info to get it. These M rated games are on adds everywhere on your computer. Some kids secretly download them on their laptops. If you were a parent and you found out your child was playing M rated games on their computer. The fact that anyone can download these of course there is going to be something bad in the news about it. But video games can get great reviews on the news too.
On these servers Like minecraft you cant track this sort of stuff. Some of these servers are owned by multiple people so kicks bans are harder and they cant monitor thousands of people all at once. This is why video games will be looked somewhat bad in the news.