Muz
ArcTImes

The West shouldn't criticize less developed countries for anti-gay laws

ArcTImes

Muz

Pro

I hold the opinion that developed countries such as the United Kingdom have no right to criticise less developed countries, such as Uganda, for their anti-gay laws. I do not believe that Homosexuality is wrong - everybody should be entitled to freedom of sexuality. However, I hold this opinion because I am from the UK and I have been brought up holding these values. In Uganda, the majority of people have not been brought up in such a way, therefore it is understandable that they raise objections to homosexuality.

Uganda is a far less developed country than the UK, therefore it is fair to assume that they are many years behind in all areas of development. For example, the United Kingdom's gross domestic product in 2012 was 2.435 trillion USD, whereas Uganda's GDP was only 19.88 billion (according to the World Bank). Uganda is far less economically developed, therefore it is fair to say that it is less developed in all aspects.

In 1982, the year in which homosexuality became legal in all jurisdictions of the United Kingdom, the UK's GDP was 491 billion USD. This shows that Uganda is far less economically developed that the UK was when homosexuality became legal there.

Currently, the literacy rate of the United Kingdom is 99% for both men and women. This is in stark contrast to Uganda's poorer 76.8% literacy rate for men and 57.7% literacy rate. The lower level of literacy in Uganda shows that it is less socially developed than the UK. Uganda's 19.2% higher literacy rate in men also shows that the country is far less developed in the area of gender equality. When the UK did not allow homosexuality, it also played host a less gender equal society than there is today.

Surely, because Uganda is less developed than the UK was in 1982 when homosexuality became legal, then it is fair to say that Uganda is many years behind in economic, social and political development. This is why I think that is is unfair of the UK, along with other more developed nations, to criticize the Ugandan anti-gay law, because Uganda still has some catching up to do. In the past, homosexuality in the UK was illegal, and now it is not. It is likely that Uganda will accept homosexuality in the future, once it has developed to a level that the UK was at in 1982, but until then I believe that the UK has no place to criticize.
ArcTImes

Con

"I hold the opinion that developed countries such as the United Kingdom have no right to criticise less developed countries, such as Uganda, for their anti-gay laws."

I disagree with the resolution. I will explain why.

"I hold this opinion because I am from the UK and I have been brought up holding these values. In Uganda, the majority of people have not been brought up in such a way, therefore it is understandable that they raise objections to homosexuality."

Everyone's values and morals are influenced by education, parents, by the society that is around us. But that doesn't make this kind of decisions less wrong.
And I understand, we should consider this when a person is going to be punished, specially when they are very young, but everyone should receive criticism for the things they do, for the things that affect the rest of people.

"Uganda is a far less developed country than the UK, therefore it is fair to assume that they are many years behind in all areas of development. For example, the United Kingdom's gross domestic product in 2012 was 2.435 trillion USD, whereas Uganda's GDP was only 19.88 billion (according to the World Bank). Uganda is far less economically developed, therefore it is fair to say that it is less developed in all aspects."

This is irrelevant. It is usually more related to beliefs and tradition. There are developed nations that still struggle with this kind of topics.

"Currently, the literacy rate of the United Kingdom is 99% for both men and women. This is in stark contrast to Uganda's poorer 76.8% literacy rate for men and 57.7% literacy rate. The lower level of literacy in Uganda shows that it is less socially developed than the UK. Uganda's 19.2% higher literacy rate in men also shows that the country is far less developed in the area of gender equality. When the UK did not allow homosexuality, it also played host a less gender equal society than there is today."

Education is really important in this kind of topics, but my first point remains.
There are no reason not to Judge this kind of decisions. We are sure that gay people have this right. We should let them know what we think. If they want to debate it, that's great.
UK has the right to criticize, gay people in Uganda have the right to receive help from their brothers in UK.
It's that simple.

Thanks. Vote CON.
Muz

Pro

Muz forfeited this round.
ArcTImes

Con

I extend my arguments
Muz

Pro

Muz forfeited this round.
ArcTImes

Con

I extend my arguments
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
MuzArcTImesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.