whitesoxfan450
Pluto2493

The Wii has better games than the PS3

Started: 3/28/2008 Category: Technology

whitesoxfan450

Pro

The Wii has WAY better games than the PS3! There is a bigger variety, and that variety lets EVERYONE play! The PS3 is full of shooters, and sports games mainly.
Pluto2493

Con

I thank my opponent for creating this debate, and I would like to ask that the voters vote on who made the better arguments and not on their personal opinion.

With that said, let's take a look at this:

First, I'd like for my opponent to define what a 'PS3 game' is. Are we talking exclusives or just games?

Second, PS3 has a bigger variety of games, contrary to what my opponent says. The PS3 has great shooters, some of the best exclusive sports games, as well as great action games like Final Fantasy. Those games can be enjoyed by a multitude of people, while Nintendo is built off kids games. College kids, MLG'ers and old loners alike don't want to play games like mario.

Third, PS3 games have MUCH better graphics. The blu-ray format allows for extremly high quality picture and sound, while the Wii remains last, for graphics, in the console war.

Fourth, PS3 games have MUCH more replay value than Wii games. Wii games are built for kids, so their campaigns are short and they feature little game modes. Sony recognizes that people want variety, and they offer games with longer campaigns as well as different game modes and mods.
whitesoxfan450

Pro

Thanks to my opponent for accepting this debate

1. By PS3 game, in this debate, I mean exclusives. Games only on the PS3/Wii. Thanks for asking for clarification

2. PS3 doesn't even have close to the variety the Wii has. Its mainly shooters, action games, and a few sports. The Wii isn't built off kids, its made for everyone. Especially in the name Wii, where the 2 I's represent people! Also, Wii has games for the college kids too. Metroid Prime Corruption, Red Steel, No More Heroes, and many more examples are out. The Wii also has many sports games, such as Wii Sports. Even games like Madden are on the Wii, and made exclusive because of the controls. Because of the new controls, more people try Wii, and more people get turned on to the charm. Also, the Wii has this little game called Super Smash Bros Brawl, which is a game also for the hardcore people! And old loners, well, thats what games like Wii play, My Word coach, and Wii fit are for. Does my MOM want to play Turok, or Wii Fit? That's variety. Next, Mario isn't just for kids, its a platforming masterpiece. Mario games have some of the most creative puzzles of all time,and are a challenge.

3. PS3 games may have better graphics, but that doesn't help the playablility, fun, and replay value of a game. The Wii is also not ment for graphics, Nintendo wanted to keep it cheap, so the VARIETY of people could buy it. Why play a game with great graphics, that isn't fun? Gameplay is more important than graphics, think of Pac-man! Also, the Wii can produce some pretty good graphics.

4.NOT ALL Wii games are built for kids, some are!(Linking to my VARIETY argument!) Some games, such as Rayman Raving Rabbids, have short campaign(Around 4 hours) But its still fun, and appeals to kids. BUT, for the older people, there are games like Zelda:Twilight Princess. Is 70+ hours of gameplay a short story? Is 150 stars on Super Mario Galaxy a kids quest? There is a game for everyone on Wii. And if you want to talk about REPLAY VALUE, Wii Sports, and Wii play never get old at parties. Also, SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL possibly is one of the greatest party games of all time, and has very high replay value.Smash is considered one of the games that never gets old at parties, and it has a campaign, map maker, and etc! And Wii offers WAY more game modes(links to variety) Campaign, Multiplayer, Minigames, Sports, and etc.

Wii is for everyone, and there is a bit of everyone in Wii. The PS3 is appealing to teens, and doesn't have the games for my younger sister, or my grandmother. THAT'S variety.
Pluto2493

Con

First I will respond to my oppoenents and the flaws in them, then I will move onto my own points.

1. <>

What my opponent fails to recognize is that the first two are still kids games, being that they are rated T for teen. They both have little blood and gore, and that is what a lot of people want. The last one, although it is rated M, was given a 6/10 by Game Informer, so it is apparent that, even though it is bloody, it is still not a good game.

2. <>

Wii sports is a snooze. Boxing just plain out sucks, and the other games get old an hour after you start playing them. And wtf? Madden is not an exclusive on the wii.

3. <>

Ahhh... yeahhhhh... Hardcore video gamers do NOT play SSBB. SSBB is as a kid of a game as you can get, it features nintendo characters that were designed for kids, such as link, mario, and pokemon.

4. <>

If your mom was cool she'd play Turok. That game rocks. I'd also like to add that TUROK IS A NINTENDO GAME!!!!!!!!!!! I had it for the 64.

5. <>

Man I don't know what Mario you've been playing, but my Marios are about an Italian plumber whose ultimate goal is to get to one side of the screen to the other. Also, Mario, while it has evolved, is still a kids game. It is advertised as a kids game, it was developed by nintendo who advertises for kids, and it features the same generic plot featured in most kids games.

6. <>

Old loners DEFINETLY do not want to play those games. They want to play games like Warhawk. Like Resistance. Killzone. Heavenly Sword, where they can do some Leroy Jenkins'ning. Those games simply can not compare to 'my word coach.'

7. <>

Woah, woah, woah. The resolution clearly states that we are debating which has the BETTER games, not which are more fun. Granted, being fun is an important part in being a good game, but we are debating the QUALITY of these games, and PS3's QUALITY is better.

8. <>

This is a completly unwarranted claim. All I have to say is, "The PS3's graphics are better," and this argument is a wash. My opponent must prove with conclusive evidence that the wii in fact does have good graphics.

9. <>

Those games have the LITTLEST replay value, along with Wii sports. They only feature one mode, that is, campaign. I have not played Twilight Princess, but I can tell you that SMG is VERY reduntant, and features some of the same settings for the entire game.

10. <>

First, when we talk about replay value, we should not talk about parties, because parties only occur once in a while; the words 'replay value' come into play around the 50th time you fire up the Wii.
Second, Wii sports can get boring in an hour of playing. It's the same, repitious, raw sport that you can get enhanced on the PS3.

11. << SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL possibly is one of the greatest party games of all time, and has very high replay value.>>

SSBB, while it has several modes, all lead to that same scenario: the fighting. Granted, SSB is a good fighting game, it's the EXACT SAME THING OVER AND OVER. Single-player and multi-player alike are the exact same thing, just with more people. This does not designate replay value.

Now to reconstruct my points-
1. PS3 has a bigger variety of games than the Wii. The Wii features kids-adventure games, while the PS3 has some kids games, some shooters, some sports games, and a whole heck of a lot more. For instance, out of Wii's top ten best selling games, 5 are mario games, 2 are Wii play and Wii sports, 1 is SSBB, 1 is Zelda, and the remaining is an educational game. As you can see, almost all of these games are designed for kids, being they are all rated E (except for Zelda) and most feature the same old premise that keeps kids intrested.
On the PS3, on the other hand, the best sellers include shooters, racing games, sports games, fighting games, adventure games, and puzzle games.
It simply can not be argued that the Wii has more variety than PS3.

2. PS3 has MUCH better graphics than the Wii. This proves the resolution, because they are of higher quality, and this argument was minimally responded to by my opponent. Indeed, Blu-ray is the way of the future, and the PS3's highest quality cell processor makes it's games have the utmost expeirence level; something you can not get from Wii.

3. PS3 games, because of the two above mentioned reasons, have excellent replay value. PS3 tries to focus on getting the player involved in many modes, including online play. This allows for the best experience time after time. Many PS3 games are built for adults, and they recognize that replay value is extremley valueable, whereas kids will still feel thrill in doing the same repitious things that the Wii offers.

Thank you, I await my opponent's response.
whitesoxfan450

Pro

Wow, have I got some answers for you! As a person who's played games since the N64/Gameboy Color days, I think I'm pretty hardcore, and know MANY hardcore gamers. So just letting you know now, I'm not some person who just picked up a Wii to start games, I wanted to CONTINUE games, and move to the future, which I'll get to later.

1. Ok, so the ESRB has a rating system. The ratings are EC, E,E10, T, M, and AO. Now, looking at those ratings, what is in the middle? T. What does that stand for? TEEN. What are some other teen rated games, that sold well, ON THE XBOX 360? Rock Band, Lost Planet: Extreme Condition(third person SHOOTER, rated teen) Guitar Hero 3, CALL OF DUTY 2 and 3, and Bully. Are these games kids games? No, especially not Lost Planet, Call of Duty, Splinter Cell and Bully. Infact, Bully is hated by many parents! Teen games are not for kids, they can be for anyone. Kid games are rated EC, and E.(Sometimes E10) My opponent also states that GAME INFORMER gave No More Heroes a 6/10. However, there are many other magazines, and sites. Xplay gave it a 5 out of 5, IGN Gave it a 7.5, and Gamespot gave it a . So therefore, you can't just trust one source. Want another M rated game? Resident Evil 4: Wii edition, with enhanced Wii controls, and was rated on average a 9.0, and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles. So I win this argument on both of my opponents points.

2. Wii sports isn't a snooze for newer players. That's who its centered toward. Nintendo clearly stated its toward the new players. And it does well at its point. My aunt, who has NEVER played a video game, played Wii sports, and loved it. My mom who hasn't played a game in almost a year, LOVES it. Even my cousin, who has an Xbox 360 too(Tchesno if you don't believe me) likes Wii sports! It does its point well. And I didn't say madden was exclusive, I said its CONTROLS are. But there are exclusive sports games that aren't Wii Sports.

3. This argument makes me laugh. just read what gamespot has to say:
"Every now and then, a game comes along that is entirely must-have for every owner of the platforms it is released on. Last holiday season, Nintendo struck that kind of chord with Super Mario Galaxy, and now, less than six months later, that feat has been repeated with Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Its simple controls and gameplay make it remarkably accessible to beginners yet still appealing to Smash Bros. veterans. With the inclusion of mostly lag-free online play and the ability to share screenshots, custom levels, and game replays with friends, it offers an unparalleled multiplayer experience previously unseen on the Wii. Mix in all of the unlockable characters and stages, the lengthy single-player adventure, and the exorbitant number of collectible trophies and stickers to find, and you've got yourself the recipe for a game that, if its predecessors are any indication, people will be playing for years to come."

You see that? SMASH VETERANS. There ya go. Also, not to mention the Super Smash Bros Brawl has become the fastest selling Nintendo game of ALL TIME. Not just new people have bought this. Heck, over 1 million copies were sold the first WEEK, not counting the millions of preorders!

4. My mom ISN't COOL, SHE IS 45 YEARS OLD! Thats why she would want WII FIT. Self explanitory.

5. You're thinking of old 2D Super Mario brothers for the NES, and the other 2D games. Mario has evolved. Have you played Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, or Super Mario Galaxy? Thats evolved. Its not just reaching the flag, its taking down Bowser, collecting 100 coins, saving Luigi, knocking King Bomb-Omb off his feet, and etc. Yes, Mario is a kids game, thats obvious, and on purpose. Its appeal and story are very kid friendly(ON PURPOSE) But thats not my argument. MY argument is the CONTENT(Puzzles, Bosses, etc.) You obviously haven't played a Mario game lately, they are Game of the Year material!(The only reason super Mario Galaxy didn't get a game of the year nomination is because it came out November 12(Too late to be nominated). It DID win best Wii game, and I think best design.

6. I'm sorry, I'm confused on your definition of old loaners. I thought you ment people over the age of 50.

7. Games=fun, so I'm still relevant. also, I am saying that graphics don't necessarily make a game BETTER. (again with Pac-man) I mean that gameplay is more important than graphics in a final score, and thats where the Wii wins.

8. I need evidence to say that Super Mario Galaxy looks good? What evidence do you want, IGN reviews? Becasue IGN gave the graphics of the game props! Its pretty obvious that they are the best Wii graphics yet, too!

9. So you're calling Zelda little replay value? Replay value is the ability to come back to play it, and with a 70+ hour quest, it has it. Not to mention getting the extra side quests finished.(My favorite part of Zelda) Also, since you haven't played it, you can't make claims about it. Disreguard that whole argument. I won't even get into Super Mario Galaxy, thats what my number 5 is about.

10. 50th time you fire up the Wii, what game has been in mine for almost the whole month? Super Smash Bros Brawl. The characters, online play, map maker, and etc keep me coming back. This game is also the game I use to show new people the Wii, along with Wii Sports, and Warioware. This gets them hooked. THATS replay value. Also, aren't all games the same thing over and over, basically? Halo 3, you shoot the covenant, search for something, drive, drive, kill again, then new level. Call of Duty, search for someone, kill them, get to next area, then done. ALL GAMES ARE THE SAME THING, THATS THE POINT! (this is also answering your number 11)

Opponents points:
1. PS3 doesn't have variety. ITS best selling games are shooters, Assassins creed, and Guitar Hero. What games are on the Wii, but not PS3? Does PS3 have a quiz game? Does PS3 have any mini games? Does PS3 have any arcade-sports?(The Bigs) Does PS3 have a game that takes your weight, and gives you excersize? THATS VARIETY. I don't think my opponent gets the Idea of variety in gaming. Not ratings, but Genres.

2. I won't even argue this point, I already did at top.

3. Wii has online play, Wii has many modes, I already answered this.

I would also like to bring up a serious point for a voter(PLEASE READ)

I honestly think my opponent is biased. He states that all Wii games are kiddy, without arguing WHY they are kiddy, he states that Mario is just running to a flag, when its NOT, he states that only kids buy Wii, when only 33% of its buyers are over 50, or under around 13, and he states that Teen games are kiddy. My opponent doesn't seem to have even TRIED many Wii games. I've tried the PS3 games, I've tried Wii games, I've tried Xbox 360 games. I have reasons for my arguments. You can't say something about something you haven't TRIED! Vote for Pro, because the con has extreme Bias against Nintendo, and fails to make a fair argument. As a gamer, debater, and person, I don't think many of his claims in his last speech were fair.

Also, did I just read that the Sixaxis controller was discontiuned?
Pluto2493

Con

Let me say to my opponent that I have been gaming since the Super Nintendo, through the 64 and Gameboy Color, over to the dreamcast in between generations, switched to Xbox, and now the 360. I personally love Nintendo, but I have outgrown their games; it's a matter of personal opinion.

There has been a lot of arguing in this round mainly over which games have more variety. I WILL MAKE THIS PERFECTLY CLEAR. The PS3 has much more variety. I will prove why in this round. For now, I will go ARGUEMENT BY ARGUMENT and why I win.

Without further adu, let's get started:

Arguement: Variety.

Why I win: The PS3. The top games are:
Motorstrom (racing),
Resistance (shooter),
Pro Evolution Soccer (Sports),
Uncharted: Drake's forturne (Action-Adventure),
Rachet and Clank (Kids adventure),
and soon to be Final Fantasy (Fighting).

And I am not kidding. Those are the top selling exclusives (besides FFXXIII, which will soon be the top selling game). THAT'S variety. Each of these are a different type of game, reaching to every gamer. You can throw out all of these arguments about ratings, the fact is RIGHT THERE.
As I have previously said, out of the top selling games on the Wii, 5 are Mario, 1 is SSBB, 1 is Zelda, 1 is educational, and 2 are mini games. There isn't any more I can say. ADVANTAGE PS3.

Argument: Graphics.

Why I totally win: This argument is never even clearly argued by my opponent. All he says is that gameplay is more important. And, as I have said, while gameplay is an important part in the game, we are discussing, according to the resolution, the quality of those games. Hence, graphics are a major part in deciding if a game is better than another, as we can see from most game reviewers who make this a mandatory part of their review (graphics, that is).
Because of this, I CLEARLY WIN THIS ARGUMENT. I have stated in all three of my rounds that PS3 operates at a very high quality thanks to Blu-ray and its CPU, and the fact that Wii is last in the console war in this respect was never argued by my opponent.

Argument: Replay Value.

Why I win: First I'd like to say that Halo 3 is on the Xbox, not the PS3, and COD is not exclusive, so the games he sites are not worthy of sourcing. Also the games at the top of the page, even he mentions are for the Xbox 360.

With that said, this is why the PS3 has much more replay value: the PS3 is built with everyone in mind, so it offers more. Mario is fun, yes, but I don't want Galaxy, Mario Soccer, Warioworld, Mario Party, Super Paper Mario, Mario and Sonic Olympics, Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario baseball, AND Dr. Mario!!! They're all the same basic premise, feature the same characters, and, frankly, look the same.
The reason why PS3 wins this battle is that it offers games for every generation. It features short, simple, easy to follow modes, as well as the complex ones that seem like your watching a movie at times. It has every type of genre, and has bestsellers in them, at that. It is obvious that for an all around gamer, the PS3 is a better choice.

One last thing, these are MY POINTS (except for variety, which was argued on both sides). There is very little offense on the PRO side coming out of the last round, except for variety. If there are any of these points that you favor in my direction, you must vote for the CON side.

Thank you for judging my debate, and I'd also like to thank my formadable opponent for debating with me.
Posted by Kratos 7 years ago
Kratos
okay, whitesoxfan, you are an imbicile. to claim that the Wii is better than the PS3 is absurd. i personally would LOVE to play Halo on the Wii (i dont know if either of you mentioned this, i read round one and was convinced.) but can i? if i can please help me find it. ciao!
Posted by b3rk 8 years ago
b3rk
Lol @ the assertion that games must be rated "M" or above just to not be "kids games". That's like saying if a book does not have the F word, graphic violence and sex scenes in it then it belongs in the kiddie section.

Nintendo doesn't have games for everyone. It doesn't have "grand theft auto". Which is one of the reasons I still respect them as a corporation.
Posted by lumpyballsIV 8 years ago
lumpyballsIV
You cant beat the blu ray on the PS3 either. A regular player costs a couple hundred dollars. When you can get a gaming system and a blu ray player for $400, now that is a heck of a deal. I dont even think the Wii plays DVDs.
Posted by Converge 8 years ago
Converge
Listen, the Wii's fun, but I'd honestly rather have a Game Cube 2.0. I'm a hardcore Xbox 360 fan, but I'd easily take a PS3 over a Wii any day. Good arguement from both of you.
Posted by lumpyballsIV 8 years ago
lumpyballsIV
Nintendo only remakes old games like all its mario and zelda from N64, and i played super smash bros brawl it was exactly the same as the gamecube version, the graphics were so pathetic. At least the PS3 gets some new and original games even if I dont like them, its better than the constant mario BS.
Posted by left_wing_mormon 8 years ago
left_wing_mormon
Hard to debate opinion...People voting here will instantly vote for which ever console they like more...
Posted by Pluto2493 8 years ago
Pluto2493
I guess no one wants to hear about videogames right now???
Posted by Pluto2493 8 years ago
Pluto2493
Whitesoxfan, I actually love the idea of the Wii, and I love Nintedo. The 64 is my most favorite system. But, Xbox 360 pwns both.
Posted by massvideogamer 8 years ago
massvideogamer
amen brutha, amen (25 characters)
Vote Placed by Kirke32 7 years ago
Kirke32
whitesoxfan450Pluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by DeadLeaves93 8 years ago
DeadLeaves93
whitesoxfan450Pluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by Killer542 8 years ago
Killer542
whitesoxfan450Pluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by Riddick 8 years ago
Riddick
whitesoxfan450Pluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by Lamra 8 years ago
Lamra
whitesoxfan450Pluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by lawyer_in_training 8 years ago
lawyer_in_training
whitesoxfan450Pluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by LedLegend 8 years ago
LedLegend
whitesoxfan450Pluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by aaronm 8 years ago
aaronm
whitesoxfan450Pluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by JonathanSpence 8 years ago
JonathanSpence
whitesoxfan450Pluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by b3rk 8 years ago
b3rk
whitesoxfan450Pluto2493Tied