The Working Mans Eventual Rebellion.

Before the actual debate, the common man is simply the most diverse and ingenious social rank that is currently present. I, being one of them, feel trapped in a continuous flow of problems and worry. Look at plain evidence, people avoid the daily atrocities in every way they can, 30,000 people commit suicide each year, 22 million Americans are currently abusing a type of drug, and even more have violent thoughts. Slightly under 60% of American citizens have blamed both government and society at large for every day problems and thought violently about it. This may seem ill thought out, but to a person who is pulled through the same dregs every day... With a routine similar to: go to work, eat, go home, sleep, wake up at 5:00AM, rinse and repeat, there is an entire reservoir of hatred compiling. This is happening to children too, it may just seem to those who have children of their own that it's just a matter of him or her not wanting to go to school. Honestly though, whether they want to go or not is irrelevant, they are going. Not because you, as a parent is saying so, but because the common parent is being played like a harp by a stronger system then they. Even though the idea of a school system does keep children out of box shops and horrible jobs with minimum wage, the constant process that repeats itself ingrains into the child's mind, creating a festering hatred (much like the working man of today) for the system and for the government. In conclusion, even if the current generation doesn't rebel, there will be a generation that does.

Firstly, if you are contemplating suicide, seek medical attention immediately.

On to the debate.

The core problem with modern day work and schooling is the sense that one is not contributing to something. People have become interchangeable parts on the assembly line of a more efficient economy.

By the same token, this is the same economy that delivers indoor heating and A/C, refrigerators, and cars. These are all recent inventions. Most consider these basic necessities of life.

Problems at work are actually very low on the list of risk factors for suicide. Mental health problems and social factors top the charts by a wide margin[1].

This brings us to the silver lining in a depressing cloud. Social interaction has never been at a higher level. Texting and telephone have brought new life to moments of downtime. Television should also be categorized as a social activity, the social parts of the brain activate when seeing other humans interacting with other humans.

The "midlife crisis" is the more common response to an inanely boring lifestyle. Not aggression.

But it cannot be denied that there is a hefty amount of people who would gladly start a revolution, even for the heck of starting hell. Though this is not the point that I am trying to prove. I am simply saying that there will be a rising of society from the lower-class towards the one in higher classes in America. The government may "provide" these things that are supposedly needed to live, and I am far from saying that the norm would rather live without than with the luxuries that they have, but America could easily operate without such a clinging government. People can also produce things they do now, with or without a government. Most people, no matter how many types of communication there are available, try to generally avoid other people by the way.

My opponent is dealing in generalities and unsubstantiated claims.

My opponent is describing the current lower class as it is. They consider themselves expendable. Crime rises, people lose food and jewelry to drifters, etc. Jail is not fearsome, because it provides food and shelter from the elements.

Speaking in generalities here is as important as specific events. The red scare, for example if you need one, the people of America converting to communistic ideals. Another, the aftermath of the great depression, president Hoover was spending too much money on government programs, some that didn't even work, when the country was in economic hell. There were multiple accounts of American citizens threatening to take the whole thing into their own hands at the time. My claims have complete substance. My opponent is stating that jail is not fearsome, this is irrelevant, I have only mentioned that there are people out there who would watch America burn. This is not my point in the least bit, I am not saying that there will be a criminal uprising, though it is possible that criminals may add into this revolt. My opponent is somewhat of a hypocrite, are you then saying, sir, that you have always been proud of your country, that you have NEVER thought that you could do a better job in political office? That there are smarter people in the common world that would excel in places the president has failed? When you think about it, people collectively would make better leaders, because no one man is good at everything. Man itself, in comparison is quite good at a significant amount of things, don't you think?

The Red Scare was caused by WWI and WWII, the fear was larger than the actual problem. We have the same thing today with Muslims, fear of Muslims but this fear is far more in hand than the fear of Communism in the First and Second Red Scare.

This example you cite supports my point: the general populace supported the United States government.

In summary:

The risk factors for suicide are as follows, most important listed first:
  • 2.1 Mental disorders
  • 2.2 Substance use
  • 2.3 Problem gambling
  • 2.4 Medical conditions
  • 2.5 Psychosocial states
  • 2.6 Media
  • 2.7 Rational
My opponent's figure of 30,000 suicides each year does not support his position.

The effects of the most commonly used drugs support the oppositite of my opponent's position. Marajuna is known for its calming effects, used by 14.8 million of the 22 millon stated by my opponent. Perscription drugs such as pain relivers and anti-anxiety pills make up 7 million of the 22 million stated by my opponent.

The goal of these people is not military action against the USA, it is to remain calm, mellow, and rational.

Thinking of violent crime is completely different than actually commiting a violent crime. Everyone has thought of a bank robbery, who wouldn't? But actually robbing a bank is a different matter.

Note that the FBI reports that the estimated volume of violent crimes in 2010 dropped 6 percent compared with the 2009 figure. Crime is going down, not up. There is no cause for alarm.

Who is the target of violent crime. Not the United States government, as my opponent contends. This would be akin to attacking an army base with a handgun, or a police station with a knife.

Also, nothing is happeneing on the scale my opponent's contend. In 2009, the estimated rate of aggravated assaults was 262.8 offenses per 100,000 inhabitants.

To even contemplate the idea of a phisycal attack on the United States Government is ubsurd.

This is the only way out of the current two-party system.

Note the lack of popularity of Ron Paul. He is the political way out of the two-party system, and was shot down in short order.
Vote Placed by Daktoria 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro doesn't prove that frustration will lead to class consciousness. Yes, frustration exists. No, frustration doesn't mean the frustrated will become conscious together. That said, Con suggests that commodity fetishism accommodates social alienation. He doesn't engage the matter of consciousness from commodity fetishism in the first place. There are fallacies on both sides. It would be a draw if Con didn't portray unsubstantiated generalities as a bad thing. Unsubstantiated generalities are good because they entail argumentation without prejudice to particular physical outcomes. Unsubstantiated generalities are also required to theorize in advance of experience. Is Con expecting an actual rebellion as proof? Conduct goes to Pro.