VERONIKA
Teucer32

The World is becoming smaller.

Started: 5/2/2013 Category: Economics

VERONIKA

Pro

Hello, My name is Veronika and today I am debating on the topic "World is becoming smaller" and I am for this motion.
Teucer32

Con

VERONIKA

Pro

Firstly I would like to say that how we are having so many technologies, new ways of communication, etc. It is easier to communicate with everyone around the world with technologies and internet access for example -
Facebook
What's app
Blackberry and Nokia Massengers
Other websites like Twitter, Instagram, Foursquare, Linkd, etc.
Now I would like to conclude that all of these technologies help us to stay in connections around the world so THE WORLD IS GETTING SMALLER.
Thank You
Teucer32

Con

Teucer32 forfeited this round.
VERONIKA

Pro

VERONIKA forfeited this round.
Teucer32

Con

From what I can tell, Veronika asserts that "The World is becoming smaller" means the following: communication technology has allowed everyone around the world to communicate more easily, thus making the world seem smaller.

This is an interesting argument and certainly an easy one to make, but I think it is inherently false. In fact, I think one might argue that the opposite is true. In a small world, people are crunched together and forced to deal with each other's presence. Take New York City subways for example--the subway cars seem really small when there are lots of people inside them. And when we're in those subway cars, we're forced to be conscious of other people. We may offer an older woman our seat if it seems prudent. We may bump into other people by accident. The world around us seems small in scenarios like these.

But internet communication technology is not like an NYC subway. In fact, it's very different. Facebook encourages us to communicate far away from each other instead of meeting in person. LinkedIn encourages us to "connect" instead of shake hands in person. Instagram encourages us to like pictures of the beach rather than actually go to the beach. So while we are able to communicate with people in a way unforeseeable to past generations, this new way of communicating actually encourages us to be further apart. And in that sense, I believe our world is becoming much larger; people are growing further and further apart because they can get away with it.

Thank you for the debate, Veronika. I apologize for not responding last round. I would be happy to debate again if you would like.