ScrewSociety62
dabigdood

The Xbox 360 is a better console than the Nintendo Wii.

ScrewSociety62

Pro

The Xbox 360 made by Microsoft is a much better gaming platform than the Nintendo Wii.

The Xbox has a better, wider variety of games, an amazing online service, better graphics, the ability to watch HD Movies and many options for customization.

The Wii's motion sensing ability is just a silly gimmick, and it becomes tiring and awkward after a short time.
dabigdood

Con

To start this debate I find it essential to define the pivotal word of this resolution: "better." My definition shall be "improved in health; healthier than before" or "of superior suitability, advisability, desirability, acceptableness, etc.; preferable" (http://dictionary.reference.com...).

Now that I have that out of the way I will give 3 reasons that Nintendo's breakthrough system is "better."

1 It is much cheaper than the 360.
2 It is a much greater roadblock against America's greatest foe, obesity.
3 And finally, the Wii is much more family oriented.

to briefly explain these points:
1 it is cheaper- the Nintendo Wii costs $250 compared to the 360's 349.99 according to Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com.... Also according to http://www.roughlydrafted.com... the games that may be bought for the 360 are 20 dollars more expensive on average. The Wii also comes with Wii Sports and other clever games that make use of the motion sensing technology that save money.

2 according to my first definition of the term "better" health has a major role in this debate. The Wii's clever motion sensing allows you to get up and not just sit on your @ss while using the technology of the future, and also in doing so people are engaging in physical activities while enjoying the wonders of gaming. Wii sports encourage children to be up and get active, something that the US government has been trying to promote for the past decade and longer.

3 Family orientation- The Wii has various games that appeal to all ages. On the xbox 360 I am not aware of many titles that the whole family can enjoy. It focuses on teens and young adults with its largest titles such as GTA, the Halo series, and COD4. The simple controller of the Wii also makes it possible for older generations, that may not be able to get the hang of the button lay out of the 360 controller, to enjoy the experience as much as their children.

Any one of these is reason enough to choose the Wii so now I will move on and disprove my opponents points...

The first point he makes is that the 360 has superior games- this is somewhat true but as I've already stated, these games cost much more money than Wii games and appeal to a very small age group.

The second point I see is that the 360 has a great online service- While xbox live may allow people to play together, this point is irrelevant for the same reasons that the games are not better. Also the Wii is soon to release WiFi capabilities to do the same things as Live, but it will be free!!

A third point for my opponent is that the graphics are better- This is not entirely true, what he should say is that in some games, they are more realistic. This is not necessarily "preferred" as the definition of "better" calls for, there is an enjoyability to having the characters in your games look like the old school Nintendo characters that everyone loved.

Another point of his is that you can watch HD movies- all that I have to say about this is that with the money you save buying the cheaper Wii system and games, you could buy a much nicer DVD player than the one installed in the 360.

His final point is that the 360 has many options for customization- I would like to hear 3 of these "many options" because I can't think of any readily. But also what could be more customization slanted than the wii, where you can create the characters that you play with.

I think that here I have proved beyond reasonable doubt that the better gaming system is not the xbox 360 but the Nintendo Wii

Thank you
ScrewSociety62

Pro

Thanks for the reply.

When I used the term "better", I meant it is a superior console to the Wii. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused due to my choice of words.

Indeed, the Wii IS a cheaper console, but you get what you pay for. And the Wii does come with Wii sports, but select versions of the Xbox comes with Forza 2 and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance.

Your second point is somewhat undebatable, the Wii does fight obesity, but at the same time, it tires gamers out, and further gaming can be unpleasant.

It is untrue that the Xbox cannot appeal to a wide age gap, the Xbox has games like Viva Pinata, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and so on. The Xbox has the Ability to appeal to a wider spectrum of gamers, because the Wii has a reputation for being a "Kiddie System."

(Back to the "You get what you pay for" argument I used previously. The Xbox 360's games cost typically 10 Dollars more, but games for the Xbox usually have an option to play on Xbox Live, have better graphics and longer game play times. As seen with the PS3, you may have a free online service, but it is sub par to a subscription service. This is an invalid point though, because the Wii's Wi-Fi abilities are yet to be seen, so we cannot debate the functionality of it just yet.

The graphics for the Xbox have more detail, seen in such games as Splinter Cell, and Far Cry. Nintendo does good on beloved characters graphics wise because Nintendo's most famous characters have a very colorful setting, except The Legend Of Zelda and Metroid.

The Xbox 360 has a DVD player built in, but it's not High Definition, you buy an addon for that, but why should you have to buy 2 separate products that can do what the Xbox can with just one.

The Xbox 360 does have many options for Customization. Custom faceplates, third party fans and cords, the ability to change the dashboard screens, the theme of the Xbox Guide, the Xbox comes in two different colors, stands and a plethora of controller accessories.

I believe I have responded to my opponents claims, and disproven them in a truthful matter.

(And on a side note, I would like to know which next generation consoles my foe owns, I own all 3)
Good luck in the next round!
dabigdood

Con

Ok well I'll try to adapt my arguments to your definition of "better." I'll also define 'superior': "Of greater value or excellence," and I'll define value also for greater understanding of this definition. value: "relative worth."

You agree that the Nintendo Wii is cheaper and say "but you get what you paid for." We are arguing whether the 360 is of greater relative value than the Wii though. So I will have to say that, as you say you do "get what you pay for with the Wii but not with the 360 thus making the Wii have more value relative to what the system's cost is.

You also say that "select versions of the Xbox comes with Forza 2 and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance." When you say select versions I think you mean a version that you pay more for, and that is the beauty of the Wii system, you get fun games for no additional charges. Also I would argue that the Wii gives you their most popular games for free while the 360 gives you 2 decent games, but nowhere near the top of the line.

You say that gamers can get tired of the exercise that the Wii provides making it no longer pleasant. I will argue that this is not only not a bad thing but that it also teaches all that are playing important life lessons. First it is not a bad thing that people can get tired playing the Wii because if you don't get tired you would be sitting in front of the TV all day like many 360 users are. The second argument that I brought about was that the Wii tiring some users out teaches important life lessons. The specific one that I had in mind was sharing which is also promoted by wii sports. When the player gets tired by the game, they would have the tendency to pass the Wiimote to another person in the room, thus promoting sharing. Another important concept the Wii promotes is family togetherness. My girlfriend got a Wii for Christmas and her family holds "wii sports tournaments" which promotes family togetherness as I've already stated.

I still hold my arguments that the Wii appeals to a larger age spectrum despite my opponents arguments that the "Xbox has games like Viva Pi´┐Żata, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and so on." This argument is flawed because he only mentions games that appeal to younger ages.

My opponent also says that 360 games are only $10 more than Wii games even though I have already proved that the difference is usually 20 dollars. My opponent also says that these games have longer play times, this is not true because games like wii sports never get old. And it is true that Wii users will have to wait to see the potential of WiFi, but it has been announced that it is free.

It seems that my opponent agrees with me on the subject that the 360 and the Wii both have graphics appropriate to the consoles focus on games.

You say why buy 2 products when you could buy them both in the 360, but this statement is contradictory to your one just previous to that in which you say: "but it's not High Definition, you buy an addon for that." Well as I've already stated you could buy the Wii and with the money you save from the games and the console, you could buy a nice DVD player. I would also argue that it is better to have multiple appliances for separate things in this case because if you wanted your DVD player upstairs you could leave it up there and still have your gaming console downstairs instead of having to move your console back and forth.

Many of the "options for customization" that you have given are very trivial such as the color of your console and controllers (wii has many options for customization on their controllers also). Being given the ability to design your own characters for the Wii has much more impact on your gaming experience than having a different background for your dashboard also.

And in response to your question, I own an xbox and a 360. (So I'm not sure why I accepted this debate but whateva)

Thank you
ScrewSociety62

Pro

ScrewSociety62 forfeited this round.
dabigdood

Con

That's ok, I understand.

In your analogy with the apartment and the mansion you forgot to mention the other half to owning the mansion... The price. Basically I'm advocating that the 360's price is steep compared to the Wii so is it really worth it to get that mansion if you can live happily with the apartment?

What I am saying about the 360 coming with those couple of games is that the two you get are poorly chosen and I know that I, for one, and many of my friends would never use these games, making them an unnecessary cost that is avoided with the Wii. For example, when I got my 360 for Christmas last year it came with two games that I don't think I've played to date.

Ok well so far we haven't been arguing whether the 360 is a better console for the manufacturers so I don't see how this has any importance. If I could buy a console and one or two games and still not get bored of them I don't see why that is a bad thing for me, I spend less money and am still amused.

So you say that the Wii is a party system. I would agree and also say that the 360 is a console that you play alone in your house with random people on XBL, to me the system that sounds better here is the Wii because you're playing with your real friends and they are actually there, you're not talking to them through a little headset.

To this I would argue that what you're advocating is like having a gift card to a specific store for a specific product (the Xbox DVD Player) rather than having open cash. Which one is better? The cash, of course, because it allows you more freedom (the money you save on a Wii). If I don't want to buy the 360's DVD Player then I could choose what else to buy from anywhere.

This is true, you can customize some aspects on the 360 that on the Wii you can't, but all of these things that you can are really trivial and meaningless.

Thank You for my first debate on this website, that was fun :)
Posted by Lenfent 9 years ago
Lenfent
"The 360 undoubtedly has the strongest lineup of games. Which at this point is admittedly like beating two quadruple amputees at swing ball."
"The Xbox 360 also has the best online support with the Xbox Live malarkey. Although the player base can charitably be described as 'lively', and uncharitably described as a bunch of hooting d*ckholes."

I felt that these comments were necessary. And I like the Wii better, but I'm not voting because I can't say I'd be voting for the right reasons.
Posted by ScrewSociety62 9 years ago
ScrewSociety62
Crud, I always forfeit because i'm typing my reply near the deadline. Here's my response. The Xbox has a greater worth than the Wii because it comes with so much more. It's like comparing a mansion to an apartment. Sure, they both work, but the mansion is better because it has so much more.

Yes, some versions on amazon.com come with those two games, which are full games, and not 1 free game which essentially is 5 mini games. It's also one of the most popular games because it comes free with every console.

The aim of a console to be successful is for a console to be bought, and used often. The less it's used, the less money it makes. If you used an Xbox more, you would be more inclined to buy Xbox games, am I right? I know this is the case for me, because I own around 20 Xbox games and maybe 7 Wii games.

Well, the Xbox also appeals to older gamers as well, with such titles as Halo 3, Call Of Duty 4, Saints Row, to name a few.

Whenever I go to the stores, Wii games are only 10 dollars cheaper. The 10 dollar higher price is justified for Xbox 360 games because they have better graphics, usually a longer game and usually Xbox Live game play. Wii Sports does get old if you play it alone, the Wii is really a party system.

Why buy both though? The Xbox already comes with a nice SD DVD player, and if you like HD movies, you can just buy a HD add on. Buying a new DVD player with your left over Wii money is the same as buying a HD add on for the Xbox, and
you don't really need one, you have a DVD player built in already.

The Wii's characters really make no difference, because most games don't use them, and there is a limited variety of features on them. There is more ability to customize with the Xbox.
Posted by Bosshalo 9 years ago
Bosshalo
Saying one is better than the other is not the best way to go. I will say though, that they compliment each other. I like M rated games, but that doesn't mean that I only like M rated games. I would love to have a Wii, and if I did I would play it quite regularly. Now the PS3 just tries to do the same thing Xbox and the Wii does, but fails terribly.
Posted by DeATHNOTE 9 years ago
DeATHNOTE
xbox beats all, simpily it just pwns all
Posted by DeATHNOTE 9 years ago
DeATHNOTE
if wii is better than 360 than it is better than ps3

that just simpily cuz the ps3 isnt that great, (when it first came out it didnt come with a controller!)
Vote Placed by Kirke32 7 years ago
Kirke32
ScrewSociety62dabigdoodTied
Vote Placed by Riddick 8 years ago
Riddick
ScrewSociety62dabigdoodTied
Vote Placed by LedLegend 9 years ago
LedLegend
ScrewSociety62dabigdoodTied
Vote Placed by JonathanSpence 9 years ago
JonathanSpence
ScrewSociety62dabigdoodTied
Vote Placed by turtlecool2 9 years ago
turtlecool2
ScrewSociety62dabigdoodTied
Vote Placed by Converge 9 years ago
Converge
ScrewSociety62dabigdoodTied
Vote Placed by Charbok 9 years ago
Charbok
ScrewSociety62dabigdoodTied
Vote Placed by Tameric 9 years ago
Tameric
ScrewSociety62dabigdoodTied
Vote Placed by chuuuer 9 years ago
chuuuer
ScrewSociety62dabigdoodTied
Vote Placed by Gespenst 9 years ago
Gespenst
ScrewSociety62dabigdoodTied