Nuevo
SkySky16

The abuse of illegal drugs ought to be a matter of public health, not criminal justice: Rematch

Nuevo has forfeited round #4.

Nuevo

Con

Greetings! I challenge Skysky16 to a rematch on his own debate that I unduly responded to. My opponent would simply paste his former argument here in R1. No acceptance. The standard procedure will initiate once this debate has commenced. My opponent's 5th round would signify the end. Hence, he must say 'I waive this round'

I await your response.
SkySky16

Pro

This debate only has 8,000 characters. Accept my challenge to continue
Nuevo

Con

Introduction:
I will be arguing the notion that the abuse of illegal drugs ought to be treated as a matter of criminal justice, not a case for public health.

Arguments:
I.)Today"s Drug Hegemony: A Weightier Piece for Criminal Justice
It is manifest in its definition that criminal justice encompasses everything about today"s drug prevalence. The definition articulates crime control, deterrence, mitigation, sanction and prevention, all of which is a matter to be recognized and responded by the criminal justice system, rather than a somewhat health-related one. As for the purpose of public health, which carries the ideology of improving health and quality of life through prevention and treatment of diseases, does not rightfully carry such massive weight compared to the idea of crime and drug"s inseparability and combined force.

II.) Importance of Criminal Justice Response
As crimes proliferate over time, it is the duty of a criminal justice system to respond, as it is inherently upholding its sole duty to protect the welfare of the people within its sovereign state. Without such a system, a state would falter. People would have no sense of security, no assurance of protection, and literally no defence against any violation that may befall upon them. A state would have a hard time to assess crime rates and measure its magnitude to rightfully formulate an arsenal against it. A plethora of crimes would lay its grip to the state"s head, wring it by the neck, and will mercilessly suffocate what"s left of its weeping face. That is why a criminal justice system is essential. That is why, if it comes to crimes such as the abuse of illegal drugs, it is utterly subject to the category of criminal justice, a matter to be catered by its response.

III.) The Drug Crime: Statistics, Data, and Related Studies
Innumerable researches have proven the strong connection of drugs to crimes and other anomalies. Presented herewith are data from the American Bureau of Justice Statistics, the Australian National Drug Law Enforcement Research Fund, and research findings from Arrestee Drug Abuse Monitoring Methodology in Scotland. "In the 2004 Survey of Inmates in State and Federal Correctional Facilities, 32% of state prisoners and 26% of federal prisoners said they had committed their current offense while under the influence of drugs. Among state prisoners, drug offenders (44%) and property offenders (39%) reported the highest incidence of drug use at the time of the offense. Among federal prisoners, drug offenders (32%) and violent offenders (24%) were the most likely to report drug use at the time of their crimes."

"Of inmates held in jail, only convicted offenders were asked if they had used drugs at the time of the offense. In 2002, 29% of convicted inmates reported they had used illegal drugs at the time of the offense, down from 35% in 1996. Marijuana and cocaine or crack were the most common drugs convicted inmates said they had used at the time of the offense -- 14% had used marijuana in 2002, down from 18% in 1996. 11% had used cocaine or crack, down from 14% in 1996. In 2002, jail inmates convicted of robbery (56%), weapons violations (56%), burglary (55%), or motor vehicle theft (55%) were most likely to have reported to be using drugs at the time of the offense."[4]

"Research carried out on drug-related crime found that drug misuse is associated with various crimes that are in part related to the feelings of invincibility, which can become particularly pronounced with abuse. Problematic crimes associated include shoplifting, property crime, drug dealing, violence and aggression and driving whilst intoxicated.[4] "In Scotland among the 71% of suspected criminals testing positive for controlled drugs at the time of their arrest benzodiazepines are detected more frequently than opiates and are second only to cannabis, which is the most frequently detected drug"[5]

"Research carried out by the Australian government found that benzodiazepine users are more likely to be violent, more likely to have been in contact with the police, and more likely to have been charged with criminal behavior than those using opiates. Illicit benzodiazepines mostly originate from medical practitioners but leak onto the illicit scene due to diversion and doctor shopping. Although only a very small number originate from thefts, forged prescriptions, armed robberies, or ram raids, it is most often benzodiazepines that are targeted in part because benzodiazepines are not usually locked in vaults and or do not have as strict laws governing prescription and storage of many benzodiazepines. Temazepam accounts for most benzodiazepine sought by forgery of prescriptions and through pharmacy burglary in Australia"[6]

Conclusion:

The notoriety of drugs and crimes are a compelling matter. These are issues that threaten lives, and even take them fast and without mercy. Horrendous situations like these are to be catered by a system that can undoubtedly combat and fend off its harm and danger. On that note, it would be best to leave it to a criminal justice system and treat it as a matter of their responsibility.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org...
[3]https://www.cdcfoundation.org...
[4]https://www.bjs.gov...
[5]www.ndlerf.gov.au/publications/research-summaries/summary-21
[6]www.ndlerf.gov.au/publications/monographs/monograph-21
SkySky16

Pro

Accept my challenge to continue
Nuevo

Con

As you can see, my opponent tends to be picky with such meager fripperies such as character limit, which an excellent debater could easily circumvent and find his way to making good arguments and winning.

Kindly post an argument. You can win with 8k, can you?
SkySky16

Pro

I'm being picky because you were the one that failed to complete my debate that had 10,000 characters. You said to simply copy and past my argument but I can't since it is 2,000 characters over limit. I have already made another challenge for you to simply accept. Expecting me to shave 20% of my round because you failed to complete the debate as was outlined in the rules before you accepted is unreasonable. You honestly expect me to completely restructure my entire round when I completed it in the allotted time and you took at least double? It may not be your fault but to put that burden on me is just illogical.
Posted by mplo 9 months ago
mplo
Drugs and crime are often connected. Heroin, for example, is illegal, and often expensive. Subsequently, people who are addicted to heroin all too often resort to stealing and robbery in order to support their habit.
Posted by SkySky16 9 months ago
SkySky16
My argument is 10,000 characters long
Posted by Nuevo 9 months ago
Nuevo
Skysky, you could just simply paste your former introduction so that we could have the debate in an earlier progress. It's a waste of time to make another one, in retrospect.
Posted by Nuevo 9 months ago
Nuevo