The activities and events known as "eSports" should be considered a legitimate sport

Started: 10/27/2015 Category: Games

The first round is for acceptance by the opponent, as well as rules and explanation by myself.

Explation: eSports, and by extention, e-Athletes, is a rising, yet popular, sub-culture in America, and all across the world that involves either a single player against another single player, or a team against another team in which the objective is to win the game through teamwork, much like sports like Tennis, Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Football, Golf, Volleyball, and many more.

eSports has been on the rise as a popular activity, more recently than not, and, like other sports seen on TV, makes a decent amount of money for it's teams, organizations, and various other involved people. It fact, it's gained enough attention that some developers make their games with the express intent to be competitive. Examples of this include DoTA, League of Legends, Counter-Strike, (particularly Global Offensive), and other games that are hinted at eventually getting competitive game-modes, like Team Fortress 2.

This debate will center primarially around the consideration of eSports as a legitimate type of sport. Below I will provide some basic defintions to give my opponent an idea of just what kind of debate we will be dealing with.

Sport is defined as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

Skill is defined as "the ability to do something well; expertise."

Entertainment is defined as "the action of providing or being provided with amusement or enjoyment."

Exertion is defined as "physical or mental effort."

eSports is defined (by the gaming community) as "a term for organized multiplayer video game competitions, particularly between professional players."

As I am pro and I carry the burden of proof, I must show that eSports contains all of these defintions in reasonable manners, however, Con must be able to disprove these as well, and must also show that eSports can not have these definitions fulfilled.

1. Round one is for acceptance only. Round two is for arguments. Round three is for rebuttals. Round four is for thanks, congratulations, and asking for votes.

2. All definitions set here are final and may not be changed, however, defintions for relavant words that I may have missed are allowed.

3. New rules must be agreed upon before the debate begins and cannot be made mid-debate. Message me personally for discussion on rules and we can work out a more fair rule-set if you disagree with what I have given.

4. Failure to follow any of these rules will result in a forfeit. They are not hard to follow, in fact, most are common sense, please have some and no issues will be had.

Good luck my friend
I am exited about debating this topic with you.

I thank Con for his acceptance of this debate and am happy to be back into the debating world for this one.

First off all, as I stated myself I must prove that eSports contain all of the words I defined in itself, and I will try to not stretch what is reasonable. That said, I'm going to try my best to prove what I can.

Let's begin.

Contention 1: Sport and Exertion

As previously mentioned, sport is defined as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." and while the definition does include the word, "physical", it does not go to the levels of what is considered physical versus what is considered otherwise, and this can be easily proved simply by the existence of the many types of hand injuries that come with playing. While I, personally, have had this issue more recently with my own hands during, and after gaming, a more prominent issue with this is players like Hai from League of Legends, saying

""My wrist injury is something that I simply cannot ignore," Hai said in a statement to his fans. "It limits my ability to play as much as I need to and my ability to improve. I cannot keep up with the amount of Solo Queue games my teammates play and it’s not fair to them." [1]

This also has been an issue recently with professional Smash Brothers player Jason "Mew2King" Zimmerman, in which he has complained about issues with his hand having pains in his hands, thiis being a primary reason for him not participating in EVO of this year, noted as one of the biggest tournaments for the game of the year.

In a post on Reddit, Jason "Mew2King" Zimmerman, attributed his decision to drop out of the tournament to finger pain and not wanting to “mess up brackets for someone else or for myself.” [2]

Indeed, a person must show extreme exertion in order to gain these pains in the firs tplace that cause them to drop out of said tournaments, or even, in Hai's case, retire completely. While this is hopefully sufficent evidence to show the physicallity of eSports, it does no good to show the mentallity of eSports, which is present in both the amount of teamwork needed as well as the individual skill.

A good example for this is called a "Mind game" in which you predict your opponents actions and reactions and plan for said reaction or action and punish accordingly, or doing something generally considered not good and confusing your opponent [3]. A popular example is during a Melee tournament in which a player named Mango was playing against a player named Hax and slowly walked up to Hax, confusing him, and then procedded to attack him and kill him. This has spawned internet jokes such a, "Yo! Did he just walk up, slowly, and down-smash? [4]

Contention 2: Entertainment and Skill

Moving on, we talk about the entertainment value of the game, as well as the skill that will be involved in the game. As I consider one to happen due to the other, I bunch these together, though I will talk seperately about them, and try to connect them.

First, we will talk about the skill involved in some of these games, most notably for TF2 and Melee. As mentioned before, hand injuries can result from extensively, and a lot of these injuries, while from playing, are also caused by practicing skills. For example, in terms of TF2, players will constantly join MGE servers, which us a server dedicated to 1v1 situations to practice aiming skills. Many players also like to showcase skill with frag videos. [5] And they also have tournament leagues, such as ESEA and ETF2L. [6] [7]

As such, many of these matches also are broadcasted live for twitch matches, and herein lies to entertainment, where players enjoy seeing those with a higher skill level play against one another, it gives players a goal to reach, being one of those top players, as well as providing insight via casters, providing another level of enjoyment. [8][9]

Apologies for the short last part, I was in a hurry to get done on time, and apologies for the formatting issues with my below sources, I don't know what happened.

Well-endowedWladimir forfeited this round.

And this is why I never do debates anymore. People frequently quit for some reason or another.

Reaffirm all points from before, opponent forfeit last round and therefore cannot make any arguments in this round, only rebuttals to my arguments from R2.

Okay, here goes.

My opponent has choosen to not only forfeit a single round of the debate, but all of his rounds. As per the rules, this round is to be for thanks, congratulations, and asking for votes. As Con has made no arguments prior, he cannot make an new arguments this round, else he forfeits all of his points, which he has done regardless by not making an effort to debate this topic.

Please vote Pro, as Pro is the only side to have made any arguments, given sources, and spelled nearly everything properly.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

I'm going to go rest my hands.

Posted by Lulzy 11 months ago
Apologies, I started writing my argument to late into the night and have to sleep. I should have my post up tomorrow, maybe about 12 PM or so.
Posted by Valkrin 11 months ago
Interesting. I'll be watching this.