Failcake
Grape

The affirmative side will win this debate round.

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

Failcake

Pro

My friend suggested I make a meta-debate such as this, I thought it was pretty funny so I went for it.

First round is simply acceptance of the debate and any parameters the negative team wishes to impose on the debate to keep it fair. The next three rounds will consist of actual debating. I await your arguments.
Grape

Con

It is not possible to win the individual rounds of a debate. Only the entire debate as a whole is scored. For that reason, the affirmative will not win this round or any other. Because the affirmative has not won the round, it has lost the debate.

If you disagree with my definition of the word 'round,' I invite you to glance to the right and notice that the rounds are clearly labeled and color coded.
Failcake

Pro

First off, as I stated in my initial post, the first round consists of, "simply acceptance of the debate and any parameters the negative team wishes to impose on the debate to keep it fair. The next three rounds will consist of actual debating." My opponent did not refute this and thus has accepted it as fact. Therefore, any opinion on who has won the first round is entirely irrelevant, because in the context of this debate, the first round did not exist.

But even if you don't accept that, allow me to continue my point. There is no reason to suggest that a person can not win an individual debate round. For example, if I were to post the first part of a round with a list of contentions and my opponent failed to acknowledge a single one ad ranted about his/her love of Megan Fox, would I not have won the round? While there is no official method on debate.org of deciding who is the winner of an individual round, that does not mean rounds cannot be won. For if I were to win all of the rounds in a debate, then thus, I would win the debate. The very fact that the winners of these debates is open to user interpretation means that these users will see who has indeed won the round. Simply put, you cannot claim a round cannot be won or lost because, if that were the case, it would be impossible to deem whether or not the debate as a whole has been won by a certain side, if at all.
Grape

Con

I apologize for making an argument in the first round. I did not read carefully and I am a fault for that. There weren't really any rules so I do not contest them. Now, on to Pro's argument:

It is possible to do better than someone in a particular round, but that does not constitute winning the round. There is no way to strictly determine who 'wins' a round by weighing arguments, especially in debates where both sides post an affirmative and don't even directly address each other in some rounds. There is a reason why you never see people discussing who wins a round in an RFD: it is not a useful way of determining who won the debate. Instead, we usually refer to winning specific arguments, which carry across rounds. Therefore, no one wins rounds on DDO. There is no official method and it is never even considered in judging. The winner of the debate is who wins the most important arguments, not who 'wins' however many rounds. The only purpose of the rounds is to give a structure and format to the debate.

This does not even touch the greatest problem in the resolution, though. Pro claims he will win a round. His winning a round his contingent on his proving to us that he will win a round. He must prove to us that he will prove to us that he will prove to us ... that he will win a round. This is so confusing I can't tell if it's circular or an infinite regress, but either way the resolution is clearly impossible to sustain. There is no argument that can sustain the resolution "I will win this debate." If Pro can resolve this logical problem to my satisfaction I will be very impressed and thankful for his having shown me the solution, but I don't believe it is possible.
Failcake

Pro

Failcake forfeited this round.
Grape

Con

Pro has forfieted, as you can see. That's too bad, because for a meta-debate it was going pretty well. I extend my previous points.
Failcake

Pro

Failcake forfeited this round.
Grape

Con

Extend my argument again.
Posted by BlackVoid 6 years ago
BlackVoid
Pro actually has a legit point.
Posted by meowmixxx 6 years ago
meowmixxx
You lose by default: there is no affirmative, only pro and con =p
Vote Placed by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
FailcakeGrapeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was doing pretty well until the forfeit.
Vote Placed by quarterexchange 5 years ago
quarterexchange
FailcakeGrapeTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit