Bob13
Yassine

The age of consent should be set at 18 years or older.

Bob13

Bob13

Pro

Age of consent- the age at which a person is legally allowed to engage in sexual acts.

I will accept the burden of proof.

The first round is acceptance. I will post my argument in the second round, followed by rebuttals in the third and fourth rounds. In the fifth round, both debaters will conclude their arguments; no new arguments are to be used.
Yassine

Con

I thank Pro for instigating the debate, & I accept the challenge.

Best of luck.
Bob13

Pro

Thank you for accepting.

The age of consent should be set at 18 years or older for the following reasons:

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Every year, 1 in 4 teenagers are infected by an STD. [1] 40% of sexually active teens currently have an STD. [2] While teens make up 25% of the population, nearly half of STD cases are in teens. Raising the age of consent would significantly decrease STD rates, which would not only save millions of lives, but it would also prevent long-term effects such as infertility and birth defects. [3]

Pregnancies

In 2013, over 200,000 teenagers became pregnant. Raising the age of consent would decrease teen pregnancy and live births. [4]

Abortions

Most abortions are the result of a teenage pregnancy. [5] Regardless of your view on abortion, this should be considered bad. If you are pro-life like me, you can agree that these abortions are the deaths of millions of people that could be saved by raising the age of consent. If you are pro-choice, you can agree that abortions cost money and that health probems can result from abortions. [6]

If the age of consent is set at 18 years or older, there will be a significant decline in STD rates, teen pregnancy rates, and abortion rates.

Yassine

Con

Thanks Pro for the opening round.

Case/Rebuttals:

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

- I don’t see the point of this argument. How is rising the age of consent to 18 is going to stop Teens from having sexual intercourse!

Pregnancies

- Again, rising the age of consent is not going to stop people from getting pregnant either, given the fact that pregnancy is an eventual aftermath of sexual intercourse!

Abortions

- Follows from previous statement.

:

- Pro’s entire argument rests on a dubious premise. That is, rising the age of consent is somehow going to prevent teens from having sexual intercourse!!! Thus Pro’s conclusion is also dubious. Thus far, Pro has not provided any viable reason why the age of consent should be set at 18!

Bob13

Pro

We cannot stop teens from having sexual intercourse. However, they will get caught when they contract an STD or become pregnant and get punished for breaking the law. This would act as a deterrent, which will not stop teens from having sexual intercourse, but it would discourage them and likely cause many to not have sexual intercourse.
Yassine

Con

Rebuttals

they will get caught when they contract an STD or become pregnant and get punished for breaking the law.

- The resolution is not about "punishing teen pregnancy"! It's about "setting the age of consent to 18 yo". Pro has yet to fulfil his burden of proof & provide a viable argument for his case.
Bob13

Pro

The age of consent is part of a law, so explaining how to enforce the law is entirely relevant to the debate. I have given three reasons in my previous arguments that the age of consent should be at least 18, and the only thing you questioned is whether it can be enforced. I then had to mention enforcement in order to rebut your claim.
Yassine

Con

The age of consent is part of a law, so explaining how to enforce the law is entirely relevant to the debate.

- Seriously! I wonder, then, why Pro hasn't argued for the outright banishment of STDs, pregnancies & abortions, for this would've been quicker & much more efficient! Or, more so, Pro's argument would've made more sense if he argued we should raise the age of consent to 50 years, while assuming this entails the ban of sexual intercourse for those under the age of consent, which it does NOT. This way, we could do almost completely without SDTs & abortions.

I have given three reasons in my previous arguments that the age of consent should be at least 18, and the only thing you questioned is whether it can be enforced. I then had to mention enforcement in order to rebut your claim.

- Apparently Pro is confused about the resolution. The resolution is on wether the age of consent should be raised to 18 or over, which, obviousy, does NOT entail the ban of sexual intercourse between minors! The resolution is definitely not on whether a ban on sexual intercourse between minors should occur.
Bob13

Pro

Do not read this argument until you post yours. This is the conclusion round.
"Pro hasn't argued for the outright banishment of STDs, pregnancies & abortions, for this would've been quicker & much more efficient! Or, more so, Pro's argument would've made more sense if he argued we should raise the age of consent to 50 years, while assuming this entails the ban of sexual intercourse for those under the age of consent, which it does NOT. This way, we could do almost completely without SDTs & abortions."
We cannot immediately banish STDs, teen pregnancies, and abortions. Raising the age of consent is just a step in doing so. Since teens are so much more likely to contract an STD or have an abortion and they are too young to raise a family, it is entirely reasonable to raise the age of consent.
"The resolution is on wether the age of consent should be raised to 18 or over, which, obviousy, does NOT entail the ban of sexual intercourse between minors! The resolution is definitely not on whether a ban on sexual intercourse between minors should occur."
Con clearly didn't understand the definition provided in the first round. The age of consent is the age at which a person can legally engage in sexual acts. Sexual intercourse is a sexual act, so a ban on sexual intercourse between minors is obviously entailed in the resolution.
Con has not questioned any of my reasons for the ban.
Vote Pro!

Yassine

Con

Rebuttals:

- Basically, here is Pro’s case:

1. Sexual acts amongst teens cause SDTs, eventual pregnancies & probable abortions.

2. STDs, pregnancies & abortions are bad, thus shouldn’t take place.

3. Sexual acts amongst teens is bad, thus shouldn’t take place. [ follows from 1. & 2 ]

4. Raising the age of consent to 18 outlaws sexual acts amongst teens below 18.

C. Therefore, raising the age of consent is good, thus should take place. [ follows from 3. & 4. ]

- Let’s see is Pro successfully defended his argument:

1. Ok.

2. Pro hasn’t defended this, he simply assumed it is the case!

3. Given the fact that the previous premise wasn’t defended, this one stands undefended as well.

4. False. “There exist several federal statutes related to protecting minors from sexual predators, but none of them imposes an age limit on sexual acts.” [1]

C. Given the fact that the premises of this conclusion are either undefended or false, it is thus invalid

Conclusion:

- Pro has therefore, failed to uphold his burden of proof, which he solely has.

=> Vote Con.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org...

Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: Hayd// Mod action: NOT Removed<

3 points to Pro (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: https://docs.google.com...

[*Reason for non-removal*] The voter sufficiently covers a number of arguments made by both debaters, and examines their relevance to the debate.
************************************************************************
Posted by Yassine 1 year ago
Yassine
@Bob13

- I meant the claim that the ban of sexual acts is entailed in the resolution, that is the age of consent. It IS NOT. That's a false claim you made up just then. You didn't even bother providing a source for your claim. I provided one against it.
Posted by Bob13 1 year ago
Bob13
@Yassine
"The source is a response to the false claim you made in your final round: "Sexual intercourse is a sexual act, so a ban on sexual intercourse between minors is obviously entailed in the resolution.", which you didn't mention before!!!!"
I didn't mention it before because it should have been obvious. Sexual intercourse is obviously a sexual act (notice the word "sexual" in both terms), and it is not presenting a new argument to point out the obvious.
Posted by Yassine 1 year ago
Yassine
@ Bob13
"You used another source to present a new fact as part of your argument. The conclusion is meant to include all previous arguments and no new ones."

- I used a source to support a FACT I mentioned in virtually every round I made, which is "The resolution is on wether the age of consent should be raised to 18 or over, which, obviousy, does NOT entail the ban of sexual intercourse between minors".

- The source is a response to the false claim you made in your final round: "Sexual intercourse is a sexual act, so a ban on sexual intercourse between minors is obviously entailed in the resolution.", which you didn't mention before!!!!
Posted by Bob13 1 year ago
Bob13
Yassine:
You used another source to present a new fact as part of your argument. The conclusion is meant to include all previous arguments and no new ones.
Posted by Yassine 1 year ago
Yassine
@Hyde:

- Are you kidding me?!!!!!!!!! Give me one single sound argument Pro gave for his case.

"Con fails to correctly rebut this until the final round, when it is against the rules to do so. Thus Pro wins the debate."

- Maybe you should reread the debate. If anyone used new arguments in the final round it's Pro NOT me. I repeated exactly the stuff I kept saying through the whole debate.
Posted by obliviousmassacre 1 year ago
obliviousmassacre
Bob13:
I"m going to try to explain what Yassine"s argument is. You are arguing for changing the current age of consent to 18 years of age with 3 points: it will lower the STD rate in teens, it will lower the unintended pregnancy rate in teens, and it will lower the abortion rate in teens. All 3 of your points only make sense if changing the age of consent to 18 genuinely stops teenagers from having sex. It won"t. The age of consent in my state is 17 (16 if their partner is no more than 3 years older than them) and we still have 14 and 15 year-olds getting pregnant all the time. Yassine is arguing that your argument does not make sense in that changing the age of consent to 18 will not deter teens from having sex, therefore it will not lower the STD rate in teens, the unintended pregnancy rate in teens, or the abortion rate in teens.
Posted by KingofEverything 1 year ago
KingofEverything
Thank god.
Posted by Bob13 1 year ago
Bob13
KingofEverything,
Masturbating does not count as it does not require the consent of multiple individuals.
Posted by KingofEverything 1 year ago
KingofEverything
Does masturbating count?
Vote Placed by Hayd 1 year ago
Hayd
Bob13YassineTied
Reasons for voting decision: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xTO8C9kZwIhgJbH_5yVq-q5kJ9_ppESQi_XVkpobNG4/edit?usp=sharing