Kringstudium
MassiveDump

The airspeed velocity of a swallow carrying a coconut is enough to fly a distance of 200 Mi.

MassiveDump
Started: 1/12/2014 Category: Funny

Kringstudium

Pro

Full resolution: "The airspeed velocity of a swallow carrying a coconut is enough to fly a distance of 200 miles."

Insert rules here:
1.) There must be a use of hashtags in each argument.
2.) Topicality means nothing in this debate.
3.) This is round is for acceptance.
MassiveDump

Con

Kringstudium

Pro

In order to figure this out, we want to establish a Strouhal ratio which is the frequency (f) of wing beats and amplitude (A) of each wing flap. With those two numbers, it will be possible to estimate airspeed (U) for a cruising bird. (fA/U) if you will. So, with a frequency of wing flaps of about 7 times per second (which has played itself out in the Philos-O-Tron Wind Tunnel Testing Area) and an amplitude of .18m per flap (given that the average wingspan of this particular avian is around 29cm) that would yield an airspeed of roughly 11 m/sec or 24 mph assuming the swallow is unencumbered.[1] (#science)

The average African swallow weighs about 21 grams [2]

The worlds smallest coconut is 3.847 grams[3] (0.135699 ounces) [4]

So If we give the swallow (which we will name Moose) the worlds smallest coconut which would weigh him down by a mere smidgen. By gripping it by the husk the swallow would indeed be able to carry the coconut a distance of 200 Mi. (#thegaurdswhereright)

1-http://www.monkeyrivertown.com...
2-http://wiki.answers.com...
3-http://www.indiabookofrecords.in...
4-https://www.google.com...

#comatmebro
MassiveDump

Con

I will not refute the velocity of an unladen swallow, as those numbers are accurate. However, these numbers do not construct my opponent's arguments, given that the swallow will not be unladen; he will be carrying a coconut.

Clarification : "The Swallow in a Natural Situation"

To honor the integrity of the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the resolution should concern a swallow in a "natural situation", meaning that the swallow should be able to carry this coconut without the help of other unnatural forces (i.e., humans, cannons, spaceships, etc.).

My Opponent Cherrypicks "The World's Smallest Coconut"

The main thing wrong with my opponent's argument is that it's specific to a situation where he can supposedly win the debate without question[1]. He uses an example of the average African swallow, but then goes on to suggest that this swallow will be carrying the world's smallest coconut. If my opponent is going to make an argument using the average swallow, he cannot assume that the world's smallest coconut will be carried by the swallow.

As my opponent said, we will not waste any time arguing over definitions. That said, I expect that my opponent will not try to suggest the definition of "a" means "a specific unit which I decide". "A" coconut should logically be the coconut most likely for a swallow to be carrying.

An African Swallow Would Never Carry "The World's Smallest Coconut"

My opponent uses the average African swallow to construct his argument. If that is true, then the swallow, naturally undisturbed, would never be able to carry the world's smallest coconut. The main reason being, because the African swallow is natice to South Africa, while the world's smallest coconut is in India[2].

If the reason why this is illogical is still not apparent, allow me show you a map:

Because it's not geographically possible for the average African swallow to carry the world's smallest coconut, we have to accept that the average African swallow will be carrying the average South African coconut.

South Africa does not grow coconuts. We can still say that the swallow could find a coconut elsewhere nearby in Africa for the sake of the argument, but it is unlikely, and voters should therefore consider that a swallow may never come in contact with a coconut at all.

The Average African Coconut Weighs Over 400 Times More Than A Swallow

As my opponent said, the average swallow does weigh approximately 21 grams. However, now that we've deduced that a swallow would never have a chance of carrying the world's smallest coconut (both for fairness's sake and because of geographical impossibility), we must now calculate that a swallow would carry the average coconut if it could.

Even though my opponent, like King Arthur, said that the swallow could grip it by the husk, the average coconut still weighs eight kilograms.

"It's not a question of where 'ee grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratio! A five ounce bird cannot carry a [seventeen] pound coconut!" -Castle Guard

For all these reasons and more to be mentioned, there is only warrant for a Con vote.

#Sources

[1] http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...;
[2] http://www.indiabookofrecords.in...;
[3] http://tinyurl.com...;
[4] http://www.ask.com...;
Kringstudium

Pro

But I like swallows....
Also I don't have much time for this round sinkers continue through the next round.
#notenoughtime.
#therulessayhashtagspluralnothashtagsingular
#mynididnotuseenoughhashtagslastround.
#spellcheck.
MassiveDump

Con

I will allow my opponent the next round to respond.

I would also point out that my opponent now wants to elaborate on the meaning of "hashtags" after explicitly saying in round one that definition arguments don't matter. My opponent is breaking his own rules and thus should not be allowed to win this debate.

But, regardless, I'll make up for my low amount of hashtags last round by posting more this round, if it makes my opponent happy.

#VoteCon
#ThisIsNotTwitter
#Friends
#Yolo
#Swallows
#Coconuts
#ProBrokeHisOwnRules
#PostedFromAHotelInSiouxFalls
#MassiveDump
Kringstudium

Pro

My opponent has turned this simple debate into a joke with using the terms Yolo and Swag for that I can only see a pro ballot... Also I would like to say that this debate was originally thought of by me but Massive would only do this debate if he had con- therefor because of the reasons that Massive only wanted to debate for a win and crushed me deep down. * insert crying face here* I can only see a pro ballot

#SentFromAMall
#VotePro
MassiveDump

Con

I am strongly disappointed with my opponent's response. Even though he had two rounds where he was clearly available to refute my argument, he never did.

Therefore, carry all these unrefuted arguments from Round 2:

>My opponent cherrypicked an unlikely situation for his case.

>The African Swallow would never find the "World's Smallest Coconut."

>Due to weight, The African Swallow could never realistically carry a typical-sized coconut.

>Coconuts are not even grown in the same environment that swallows live in.

On top of this, my opponent accuses me of both treating this debate like a joke and pressuring him into taking a different side.

>First of all, if anyone is taking this debate like a joke, it is my opponent. I provided legitimate refutations to my opponent's claim, and afterwards he did nothing but attack my tone and the words I used in my hashtags. Even though "Yolo" doesn't construct my argument, my no means does it degrade it either.

>Second, when my opponent first sent me this challenge, I only informed him that I would rather take Con in this debate. Upon this statement, he immediately switched sides. I don't believe that fits under the definition of "pressured," but once again, topicality doesn't matter, I suppose.

Along with not refuting my argument, my opponent has resorted to credential attacks and "hashtag deficit" claims, whatever those are. I put forth a full effort in this debate, and that effort was not met by my opponent.

#Thus, a Con vote is fully warranted.
Posted by Kringstudium 3 years ago
Kringstudium
I never intended to make this debate serious.... Hence why I said use hash tags..... This debate was ment as a joke after the first round....
Posted by Lordgrae 3 years ago
Lordgrae
Monty Python references; Lol.
Posted by MassiveDump 3 years ago
MassiveDump
k
Posted by Kringstudium 3 years ago
Kringstudium
Your a ruthless person set apon just winning....
Posted by Gubernaculum 3 years ago
Gubernaculum
Perhaps they tied a sting around the coconut and two swallows carried it.
Posted by black_squirrel 3 years ago
black_squirrel
I don't know.
Aaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by michaelperry13 3 years ago
michaelperry13
african or european?
Posted by Panzerman 3 years ago
Panzerman
This is f@cking epic
Vote Placed by Josh_b 3 years ago
Josh_b
KringstudiumMassiveDumpTied
Reasons for voting decision: the argument from Monty Python was supposed to be confusing and irrational. This debate doesn't follow the same rules. If this were a fallacy debate, pro would win. It's not a fallacy debate, so con wins. Mapquest requires roads and swallows do not require roads reliable source would go to pro. but I found that con was reliable in his Coconut agriculture so I gave him reliable sources also.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
KringstudiumMassiveDumpTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct as pro has cried trolling, instead of making a real case... Argument to con for the exact same reason.
Vote Placed by KingDebater 3 years ago
KingDebater
KringstudiumMassiveDumpTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro gave up