gumshoe
duck_swag1

The alphabet doesn't have a true order.

gumshoe
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

gumshoe

Pro

We tend to put the alphabet in an order easily singable to the song twinkle twinkle little star. Is that actually the right order? Look down at your keyboard. Is that any less accurate of an order? Man put the alphabet in the order it is. What about this random order?
s
n
e
v
t
c
h
w
k
f
o
y
r
z
j
i
p
q
g
a
x
d
m
u
l
b

In all reality, the alphabet is 26 letters long. Those letters were put into an order. Society has demanded that we recognize it in that said order.
duck_swag1

Con

bish no ok bish no that would make the whole world flipping retarted just like you. bish wa
gumshoe

Pro

Duck, I understand this sounds like a weird topic, but I do ask you to act as a professional. This is not a topic that you would expect to hear on the street, much less in the newspaper. But, nevertheless, this is an issue of respect.

My point is, for some reason, alphabetical order exists. It was not chosen by anyone currently alive. I think it might be time for a change or even absolute abolishment. This would not change the letters, or the frequency that they are used. There would just cease to be an order.
duck_swag1

Con

duck_swag1 forfeited this round.
gumshoe

Pro

Upon consideration of the issue, there are a few problems that can arise from a lack of order. However, I do have solutions.

The Dewey Decimal System relies on alphabetical order of the author's last name when 2 or more books have the same topic number. Now, Dewey Decimal is a rather outdated system, but it still is an important one. So, my advice would be to break the tie by the ISBN number, a unique code number already given to every book.

Dictionaries use alphabetical order to sort the words. Nowadays, with technology as it is, I don't see a purpose for print dictionaries. If the company needs the money, I would recommend selling an app that would use a search and define method, similar to the way dictionary.com does it.

Lastly, Scrabble uses a drawing of the letters to determine who does first. Closest to a goes first, with blank tiles beating anything. In 2 player games, a simple coin flip will settle it, but in 3 or 4 player games, you may need to pull a name out of a hat. If you still want to use the tiles, draw a full rack. Whoever has the most points drawn will go first.

Feel free to address other problems you see.
duck_swag1

Con

duck_swag1 forfeited this round.
gumshoe

Pro

According to Oxford Dictionaries, there is no answer how the alphabet came about. The alphabet derives from the Phoenician alphabet. The Greeks used that and added vowels. The Etruscan alphabet derives from that. The Romans adopted that, and since they got so popular, so did the rest of the Western world.

The Phoenicians, therefore, were the creators of alphabetical order. Everybody just uses their order. Guess it just made life easy. I do admit, in previous eras, the order of the alphabet was of the utmost important. But in the technology era, it is not necessary.
duck_swag1

Con

duck_swag1 forfeited this round.
gumshoe

Pro

Before I conclude my debate, I would like to acknowledge the fact that the debate was trolled. I am more confirming the fact that I know that it was. It didn't really seem evident. What a way for your first debate to go.

Anywho, I am going to stick to the point that I have been making these past two weeks. We have basically been, and are continuing to be, taught to use the same method that doesn't really have a viable purpose anymore. If we have to resort to using a print dictionary, and therefore have to use alphabetical order, due to a lack of access to the internet for whatever reason, then it serves a purpose.

But the fact of the matter is, we almost always have access to the internet anymore. We can pretty much type it into that Google search bar, whenever we please, wherever we please. Need a plumber? Type in plumbers near (zip code). Need to get a survey sample? They perform that online as well, perhaps with even more success. Alphabetical order serves no purpose as long as technology is here to help us. And if technology can survive Y2K, it can survive anything. I rest my case.
duck_swag1

Con

duck_swag1 forfeited this round.
Posted by gumshoe 2 years ago
gumshoe
And the irony is, dynamic's response would have done it.
Posted by gumshoe 2 years ago
gumshoe
Citation on that last argument. Sorry, but it feels like it's going to be one of those days.

Marshall, Jeremy, and Fred McDonald. "Why Is the Alphabet Arranged the Way It Is?" - Questions of English. Oxford University Press, 1996. Web. 04 Sept. 2014.
Posted by dynamicduodebaters 2 years ago
dynamicduodebaters
I would do the argument if I where con that we do A) B) C) as lists for 123, thus it has an order. Weak argument though, thats why I didn't accept
Posted by AlternativeDavid 2 years ago
AlternativeDavid
I'm pretty sure that our alphabet is based off of the Greek alphabet. Who knows what made that guys choose this order?
Posted by Rosenley 2 years ago
Rosenley
Duck is a troll.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
gumshoeduck_swag1
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by johnlubba 2 years ago
johnlubba
gumshoeduck_swag1
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfieted