EricJohnson
Deadlykris

The ban coffe,tobacco, alcohol, and fast food

Deadlykris

EricJohnson

Pro

I believe these products are not only unsafe, but a detrimental to society.
Ban- Making the possession, sale, cultivation, production, use, and paraphernalia of the said items illegal.
Deadlykris

Con

I accept your challenge and await your opening arguments.
EricJohnson

Pro

All these products are addictive. When combined, they are much more addictive and dangerous.
1) Tobacco is extremely dangerous. It contains nicotine, methane, arsenic, carbon monoxide, methanol, ammonia and over 2000 other chemicals. Keeping tobacco legal tells children it is okay and even cool to destroy their bodies with tobacco. Nicotine is one of the most dangerous substances to humans. Tobacco companies will never tell you nicotine is deadlier than cyanide. That's right. Nicotine is 8 times as deadly as cyanide to a non-smoker and 4 times as deadly to a smoker. About 90% of lung cancer cases are related to smoking. The average smoker smokes 13 to 16 cigarettes. Some smokers spend over $9490 dollars a year on cigarettes. Some people give up their food or their children's food to afford cigarettes. Cigarettes are probably the most widely used addictive substance.
2) Coffee contains over 1000 chemicals. Coffee and all other caffeine containing products should be illegal. Caffeine is a stimulant and an addictive substance. If you advocate keeping caffeine legal, you may as well advocate the legalization of cocaine. I have met plenty of teenagers and adults addicted to caffeine. It's use can induce rage paranoia, nervousness, restlessness, inability to sleep, and even induce heart attacks. When someone tries to quit, they often experience headaches, lack of energy, and mood swings.
3) Alcohol contains acetone, ethanol, and methanol. It is a dangerous substance that causes numerous cancers, including liver cancer. We have no idea how many cases of drunk driving have occurred in the past because most get away with scot-free and others get a slap on the wrist for putting lives at risk. It is addictive and induces violence and rage. People act irrationally when drunk and commit action which they later regret.
4) Fast food encourages unhealthy eating. It makes them people obese and unhealthy. It is a huge factor in heart disease , high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. It does long term damage to individuals leading to countless diseases and it should be banned.
Deadlykris

Con

You have made a number of assertions here, that I would like to see sources for. But that's rather irrelevant to the point at hand. Let me rebut your opening statement of "I believe these products are not only unsafe, but a detrimental to society" on a point-by-point basis, though not in order.

3) Alcohol
Quite frankly, it was tried before. It just made the problem worse. People still acquired alcohol by various means, the government lost all tax revenue relating to the sale of alcohol, and the Prohibition led to all sorts of criminal activity; not just because alcohol was illegal, but activity that was illegal before and after prohibition as well. Crime syndicates rose up to control the legal booze trade.

1, 2) Tobacco and caffeine.
As I noted above, this was tried before with alcohol. It didn't work out so well. How much worse would it be if tobacco and caffeine were added into the mix? We already have a problem with modern drug prohibition; it simply does not work. [1]

4) Fast Food
This is a red herring. The problem with fast food is not inherent to the food itself but rather the ingredients in the fast food. The Food and Drug Administration already works hard to ban explicitly dangerous substances from food. Specifically targeting fast food itself, as opposed to the ingredients that are harmful, is a waste of time.

You also have failed to give a good reason why every harmful thing should be banned. I, personally, disagree with prohibition in all forms. Drug addiction is a disease, and should be treated medically, not legislated against. You can no more legislate away addiction than you can the common cold. What's needed is awareness, and treatment.

[1] http://www.independent.org...
EricJohnson

Pro

EricJohnson forfeited this round.
Deadlykris

Con

All arguments extended.
EricJohnson

Pro

EricJohnson forfeited this round.
Deadlykris

Con

All arguments conceded by Pro due to forfeiture.
Posted by Deadlykris 4 years ago
Deadlykris
Ok I just checked. They lied to me about being good.

They ARE evil shoes! I'm so ashamed!

(Made in China)
Posted by lit.wakefield 4 years ago
lit.wakefield
Provide evidence for your statement. DO YOU SUPPORT CHILD LABOR?!?!?!
Posted by Deadlykris 4 years ago
Deadlykris
But they weren't evil shoes. They were GOOD.
Posted by lit.wakefield 4 years ago
lit.wakefield
Their price is still irrelevant. In fact, the lower the price, the greater the evil.
Posted by Deadlykris 4 years ago
Deadlykris
Actually I found a good pair of shoes yesterday for only 1100 American cents.
Posted by lit.wakefield 4 years ago
lit.wakefield
I say ban all that stuff and legalize everything else. And shoes should be banned too. Because they are immoral.
Posted by phantom 4 years ago
phantom
I agree. My coffee tried to eat me yesterday. Very unsafe!
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 4 years ago
wrichcirw
EricJohnsonDeadlykrisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Hmmm...coffe? Cofee? OH COFFEE. Anyway, FF
Vote Placed by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
EricJohnsonDeadlykrisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con tears apart Pro's arguments and Pro does not rebut (arguments). Pro forfeits (conduct). Con provides a reasonable sources (sources). A clear and total victory for Con!
Vote Placed by lit.wakefield 4 years ago
lit.wakefield
EricJohnsonDeadlykrisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Con; Pro forfeited rounds 3 and 4. Pro provided no support for his assertion that these substances should be illegal and only explained that they are unhealthy. Con was the only one that used sources.