Mirza
forever2b

The belief that aliens might exist is reasonable

Mirza

Mirza

Pro

Inspiration for instigating the debate comes from Tom's[1] debate on a similar topic.

I possess the view that it is reasonable to believe that alien life might exist in the universe; beyond Earth, of course. The definition of alien life does not necessarily have to be too advanced. In point of fact, the definition applies to life similar to that which we have on our planet, namely plants, bacteria, animals, and so on.

I will let my opponent accept the rules/definitions first, and we will start debating in the second round. If he/she wishes, (s)he can write the first argument in this round already, but definitions and rules must be agreed upon regardless. I look forward to an interesting debate for the debaters, and interesting reading for the readers. Thanks in advance to my opponent.

-- Rules --

1. No insults/harassment
2. No semantics

-- References --

[1] http://www.debate.org...
forever2b

Con

I thank my opponent for making such an interesting debate. I will be arguing that it is not reasonable for aliens to exist.
Definition of an alien:
"1. An unnaturalized foreign resident of a country. Also called noncitizen.
2. A person from another and very different family, people, or place.
3. A person who is not included in a group; an outsider.
4. A creature from outer space: a story about an invasion of aliens.
5. Ecology An organism, especially a plant or animal, that occurs in or is naturalized in a region to which it is not native."
(source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com...)
In this case alien would mean only the 4th definition. I also accept my opponent's statement that "alien life does not necessarily have to be too advanced"
Finally I would like to add one more rule to the opponent's set of rules if that is okay.
Have fun
If not that is fine, I accept anyway. I would also like to ask my opponent to elaborate of what he means specifically by "No semantics" so that I won't break the rules :)
Without further to do let's start this debate. I look forward to my opponent's response.
Mirza

Pro

Mirza forfeited this round.
forever2b

Con

forever2b forfeited this round.
Mirza

Pro

Mirza forfeited this round.
forever2b

Con

forever2b forfeited this round.
Posted by Mirza 6 years ago
Mirza
"Good gawsh, the forfeits..."

Yes, unfortunately I had to forfeit for some reasons. I will see if I am going to restart it.
Posted by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
Good gawsh, the forfeits...

anyways, @the conversation below: gavin, I feel like you've been irrationally PMSing for the last 3 months. Are you okay?
Posted by forever2b 6 years ago
forever2b
@gavin.ogden "almost with out any doubt"? That is the stupidest saying I ever herd. Have you ever heard of the Law of excluded middle? There is no in betweens. In other words something is proven or not proven. In this case it is not proven. I could also say that there is so many evidence against Evolution. You just eat up what you're fed. I see both sides and the most convincing one is theism. "First of all, evolution absolutely explains our intelligence. If you question that, then you know nothing about evolution. " Oh so you are not allowed to question evolution eh. This exactly proves my point. You eat up with out examining if it is the truth or not. I question everything before I accept them. If evolution explains about our intelligence I ask you to prove it. Then tell me why our species got intelligence as to chimps who are 99.8% related to us genetically. Do you call that luck? Out of millions of species we are the only ones who have intelligence. Is that luck or a sign of intelligent design? You tell me.
Posted by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
@forever2b

Whew! I don't know if I will be able to articulate the ignorance of your previous post. However, I will try. First of all, evolution absolutely explains our intelligence. If you question that, then you know nothing about evolution. Also, it has been proved almost without any doubt, that simple life existed on Mars. Also, the majority of scientists are atheist, because there is so much evidence against a god. Good luck in this debate, you're going to need it.
Posted by forever2b 6 years ago
forever2b
@tvellalott When scientists find a cave full of sharp bones and sticks, they get excited because they know that someone must have created them. Everyone can see that clearly intelligent design when they see one. For example we know that Mount Rushmore had a creator simply by looking at it. Even a child could see that this could not have happened naturally by erosion. In the same way, we see many evidence of intelligent design out in nature like the complexity of cells and the alignment of our solar system. The creator is who we call God, so there is such thing as Christian Science for who knows better about the creation than its creator?
If anything is a speculation I say science in general is. For example evolution. Evolution does not explain why humans got the gift of knowledge and just states we got it by luck. In other words, they just say "luck" for the things they cannot explain.
Posted by tvellalott 6 years ago
tvellalott
@thegodhand: There is no such thing has Christian Science. Science is the study of the natural. Christianity deals with the supernatural. Christian Science (for example, Intelligent Design) is pure speculation and has no place within the scientific arena.
Posted by tvellalott 6 years ago
tvellalott
:)
Copy cat from Ballarat,
Went to school and got the strap,
His mother said it wasn't fair,
Because he had no underwear.
Posted by forever2b 6 years ago
forever2b
Why is that?
Posted by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
I'm so glad thegodhand did not accept...
Posted by forever2b 6 years ago
forever2b
Thanks for that lovely comment. Stay tuned till the end. Oh, and please do not give any information for or against this debate until it is in voting period. I want to have a fair debate. Thanks for the cooperation :)
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 5 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
Mirzaforever2bTied
Reasons for voting decision: 1 pt for interesting topic. unfortunate that both were obviously abducted after the Op's.